Malazan Empire: Mage, High Mage, Sorcerer, Bonecaster, Wizard, Witch, Warlock, Necomancer, Alchemist e.t.c. - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mage, High Mage, Sorcerer, Bonecaster, Wizard, Witch, Warlock, Necomancer, Alchemist e.t.c.

#1 User is offline   Falcdragon 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 December 2003 - 04:33 AM

All the Names used in the topic have been used at different times in the books. Some seem interchangable with the same person being called different ones depending on who's talking. But in other cases some of these seem specific to certain abilities.
Has any one worked out what sort of ablilites these are related to?
So far from what I've seen it would appear the below apply.

Alchemist :- Specializes with potions, powders e.t.c. A weakish Mage.
Mage :- Magic (warren) user.
High Mage :- A Mage of Great ability and talent with their warren or warrens.
Necomancer :- Mage dealing with Necomancy the creation of undead, raising and binding of souls, The summoning of Demons etc.
Bonecaster :- T'lan Ilmass Mage though all Ilmass seem to have some abilities to make use of Warrens (at least Tool seemed to) and seem to have gained some abilities from the Ritual.

Things I'm less sure about though are.

Soletaken, D'ivers :- Shapeshifters one to a singular form the other many. But are they Mages? How do they become Soletaken or D'ivers?
Sorcerer, Sorcereress :- Seems to be interchangeable with Mage? Has any one noted any specific or unique abilites that may seperate them from Mages? In other books it tends to be reserved for those who gain there power through inate abilites rather than book learning and study.
Wizard :- gain seems interchangeable with Mage and Sorcerer any abilites any one can think of?
Witch :- Again may be interchangeable with Mage and Sorcereress not sure though. Any Ideas, are they the same or slightly different?
Warlock :- The Mott iregulars, wickan's spell casters e.t.c. Seem to be able to use several forms of magic, Warren based, earth based and spirit based. (Deadhouse gates) Possible inate in the Case of the Mott iregulars seems to be used with out conscious intent. Blend (bridgeburners) being a prime example with her ability to become invisible to some degree, though Warlock is a male term. Any one know what the female term would be?
Near Asendents :- Those near Accendency also seem to use or have other abilites as can be seen in Deadhouse gates with the Soldiers who passed through the warren and Cotillion.

All these seem to have powers to some degree or another. What do you think are many of these interchangeable or do Mages, Wizards and Sorcerers have different abilites. And Finally what is Quick Ben? He seems to display abilites from many of the Catagories. As does Kruppe who has all sorts of abilities, what does he best fit as?

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinders's eye on the Last Day."
Tactics:- the art of disposing armed forces in contact with the enemy..
Strategy:- The art of war. The management of Nations or Army's in war.

#2 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:46 PM

I would say mage sorcerer witch wizard all te same thing. An imass bone caster is just what they choose to call their mages however evry bonecaster also seems to have a soletaken form.

a soltaken is the ability to take on a diffrent form. A divers is similiar to a soltaken in that you change form but that you split your mind into several forms at once. A soltaken can become a lion. A diveres can become seven lions or less or more depnding on power etc. Their are some divers and soletaken who are mages but I dont think its a requirment more an added bonus.

warlocks seem able to use spirirts and the magic of the land. see mott irregulars and wickan warlocks.

#3 User is offline   fan_83 

• First Sword

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:14 PM

a bonecaster is a wizard, mage, sorcerer and so on..
the difference in title and name is probabaly due to culture...

like i say tomatoo, you say tomayto
same thing different culture

#4 User is offline   Mindful_Kruppe 

• Recruit

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:41 PM

Many things are not explained in the book, but it is only because it does not represent the whole world in which the story takes place. There are many other continents and people, and with them, different ways to use magic. The book does hint at the existence of more warrens and realms unknown to most humans. What is to stop the influence of such warrens and realms to spread? There are also ways to shape the power of warrens into something different, such as when Spindle opens his warren to cause panic and disruption among animals. Although the name of his warren is not mentioned, it is probably one that is commonly used among human magic users.

If there is something wrong or not exactly right, please post a response.
THANKS! :D

#5 Guest_Dakkareth_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:28 AM

Different traditions, differents names - same thing.

And I wouldn't call Baruk a 'weakish mage' ... there are many paths to ascendancy, some more subtle than others ... :D

#6 User is offline   fan_83 

• First Sword

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

Baruk is quite weak indeed... although his proficiency is potions.. not battlefield magic... but the way he got slapped by the assasin high mage is kinda sad....

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:12 PM

no I think vorcan is just strong. he mentions none in the cabal have defences against her. also she killed serat rakes second although she was obvioulsy weakened from her fight with rhaest

#8 User is offline   kaf09 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:44 AM

I also agree that Baruk is no mean operator. Rake regarded him as an equal (mind you that was probably courtesy on his part). Also Baruk had raised a powerful demon the watch the events on a roof top. Regarding Vorcan, I think time and time again in the books, we've seen that against an accomplished assassin, a mage, however powerful, will come off second best. The assassin has stealth and surprise on his side.

#9 User is offline   fan_83 

• First Sword

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:35 PM

errr waht powerful demon is raised by baruk... it was an imp...

and vorcan don;t have surprise and stealth on her side...
she boldly marched up to baruk's place and attack him and the witch together...

thats takes skill not surprise or stealth.. they knew she is coming and yet she is unconcerned.. what does that say...

#10 Guest_Dakkareth_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:12 PM

Well, the important thing is not how Rake treats Baruk, it's how Baruk treats Rake - like an equal. The quote I cited above about the many ways of ascendancy is from Baruk, likely indicating that though he might not be an ascendant, he's damn close.

Yes, Baruk's power doesn't lie in the obvious and flashy sorceries. But who else we've heard of is capable of resurrecting a person dead for weeks? Who else has an antidote to White Paralt poison, which is supposedly uncounterable? Baruk's is subtle power.

#11 User is offline   Trotts 

• Barghast Sapper-Wannabe
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:42 PM

generally differant peoples use differant names for warren users
i think, in malazan terms
mage = magic user (i.e. denul)
high mage = more powerful magic user (i.e. high denul)

soletaken/d'ivers confuses me though. when buke (in MOI) became a soletaken it was because he was basically blessed by K'rul. is that how it is with everyone? they need the blessing of a god?

#12 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

Actually i'd say buke was already a soletaken he just needed something to release this power within him, which k'rul provides... it was said that the magic would relieve the pain in his belly, which has been previosuly indicative in teh case of paran of power trying to express itself.

#13 User is offline   Trotts 

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

really? what did buke do to garner such power? didnt he just spend his time drinking away his pains and then trying to get killed?

#14 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:57 PM

he didn't do anything... as far as I can gather you are BORN soletaken, or at leats with teh potential to be soletaken and you just need to do something to allow you to change... nto quite sure what the something is mind... as i saw it krul noticed that buke was soletaken and gave him something to allow him to change..

#15 User is offline   Trotts 

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:05 AM

ahh....okay

#16 User is offline   alstonamos 

• Recruit

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:29 AM

Baruk treats Rake - like an equal. The quote I cited above about the many ways of ascendancy is from Baruk, likely indicating that though he might not be an ascendant, he's damn close????

== www.solitairecardgame.info ==

This post has been edited by alstonamos: 21 April 2016 - 07:01 AM

waleeed

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:21 AM

An 11 year thread Necro? Hot damn.

#18 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

View Postalstonamos, on 14 April 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

Baruk treats Rake - like an equal. The quote I cited above about the many ways of ascendancy is from Baruk, likely indicating that though he might not be an ascendant, he's damn close????

Regarding Baruk RAFO

BTW he does not really treat Rake as an equal. The scene in GotM where Rake visits him, Rake's power affects him badly and he is overawed.

#19 User is offline   adolfainsley8 

• Recruit

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

Spindle opens his warren to cause panic and disruption among animals. Although the name of his warren is not mentioned, it is probably one that is commonly used among human magic users.

waleed

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users