Malazan Empire: Jaghut rituals - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jaghut rituals Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

So far in the series every Jaghut ritual-Gothos', Ganath's and the unnamed sorceress in Lether-has crumbled. Is this because of other people's interference or do they fade with the passing of time?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 11 2009, 12:06 PM, said:

So far in the series every Jaghut ritual-Gothos', Ganath's and the unnamed sorceress in Lether-has crumbled. Is this because of other people's interference or do they fade with the passing of time?

I tink you just answered your own question. It is because they are vulnerable to outside tampering and they fade with time.

#3 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

So...both?
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

Yup. Also there's a big difference between comparing the huntress imprisoning a Forkrul Assail and Gothos deepfreezing and entire continent for 400.000 years.

#5 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

Just shows that no matter how mighty and powerful you are, your tampering with the world will fade away as time passes and you will be forgotten. It is truly a lesson so us all

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#6 User is offline   The Drum 

• Marine Core Sappers Club

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Does any one know what Gothos is looking for when he uses Nimander and co?
Dem bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones.

#7 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

View PostThe Drum, on Jan 11 2009, 04:31 PM, said:

Does any one know what Gothos is looking for when he uses Nimander and co?

I'm guesing he was looking for a cube of sugar to put in his tea. Mad bugger :(

Serious though: no freaking idea... but you've made me curious now :)
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

Looking for is a weird phrase. As far as I remember he wasn't looking for anything.

He had been toying with the Azath for some time and when Nimander and co came along he saw the oppertunity to capture some pawns he could use later.

It's what gods and ascendants do, play their little games with the lives of mortals.

#9 User is offline   The Drum 

• Marine Core Sappers Club

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

View PostAptorian, on Jan 11 2009, 04:13 PM, said:

Looking for is a weird phrase. As far as I remember he wasn't looking for anything.

He had been toying with the Azath for some time and when Nimander and co came along he saw the oppertunity to capture some pawns he could use later.

It's what gods and ascendants do, play their little games with the lives of mortals.

OK maybe 'looking' for something was the wrong phrase, but he did want Nim and co to achieve some task for him but they failed, even though he didn't say what the task was as far as i could tell.
Dem bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

View PostThe Drum, on Jan 11 2009, 05:26 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on Jan 11 2009, 04:13 PM, said:

OK maybe 'looking' for something was the wrong phrase, but he did want Nim and co to achieve some task for him but they failed, even though he didn't say what the task was as far as i could tell.

It was nimander he wanted, probably because he sensed the ascendant/draconean soletaken blood in him.

I don't think he wanted to do anything with him at the present time, he was going to put him to sleep and pull him out at a certain point when Nimander could be usefull.

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

The "death" of omtose phellack also plays a role in the sundered rituals.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

It's stronger now, though. Right?
Suck it Errant!

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:45 AM

well its being sustained within burn, don't know about stronger though, cuz theres only like a bakers dozen of jaghut left in the world, though perhaps with the wolves of winter awakened...?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:48 AM

I don't think that the number of jaghut matters. Omotose Phellack is world of its own. It was weakening because the Imass tore a ton of holes in it, meaning it was bleeding to death.

#15 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:03 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on Jan 12 2009, 04:45 AM, said:

well its being sustained within burn, don't know about stronger though, cuz theres only like a bakers dozen of jaghut left in the world, though perhaps with the wolves of winter awakened...?

Winter is coming. Oh, hang on...

Yes Gothos did seem to be up to something with Nimander; he knew he'd get taken into the dragonblood/portal - bit unclear why he wanted him to, though.

He was certainly pissed that Nimander not only escaped, but helped the builder to leave too.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#16 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

I didn't know the builder left.
Suck it Errant!

#17 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 13 2009, 10:43 AM, said:

I didn't know the builder left.

Euh... big tower... Nimander places last stone in it from the outside instead of the builder. Whenever the builder did that when Gothos was inside the tower disappeared somewhere with Gothos in it... Ow yeah, Nimander did the builder a favor :(

However, in RotCG there's this scene where Cowl and Skinner are walking around in Thyr and after they meet these Tiste Liosan they spot a big tower made of clay. They go to investigate, get it, and go stand in the way of that lightbeam (possibly created because there's only 1 stone missing from the whole structure). At that point a powerful entity comes buy and basically screams (talking in their heads) against Skinner "You are not he!".

My guess is that the strong entity was the builder, and he had been hoping Gothos came to collect yet another tower of his making, so the builder could hit Gothos in the face (as Nimander said he should do next time he sees him). Could I be right? And if not and that part's explained later in the book, don't say it please (or spoiler it). I just haven't finished RotCG yet :o
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

I don't think it's the builder. The tower was just that a tower. Cowl should know and recognise an azath just by its proximity.

#19 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

View PostMcflury, on Jan 13 2009, 10:19 AM, said:

My guess is that the strong entity was the builder, and he had been hoping Gothos came to collect yet another tower of his making, so the builder could hit Gothos in the face (as Nimander said he should do next time he sees him). Could I be right? And if not and that part's explained later in the book, don't say it please (or spoiler it). I just haven't finished RotCG yet :(

Certainly not the builder imho, this entity was something far more powerful and elemental (I'm looking at you, Father Light). The tower didn't display any of the usual attributes of an Azath either. There were no ground surrounding it, ready to swallow up the careless. Also, and I may be remembering this completely wrong, but isn't there a pretty standard internal layout in an Azath?

#20 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

pretty standard yes, the T shaped hallway and towers etc etc. i think cowl got it right when he said that he thought the tower was used as a means of communication with kurald liosan, and they did indeed communicate with something...

i like how in that scene cowls scared shitless but skinner just steps up and says "you never know what you can do until you do it,"
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users