• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Theory on Kruppe and Symbolism in the book Spoilers

#1 User is offline   Apocalypse Now 

• Black Wave in the Middle of the Sea
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

I have been rereading the series, and in doing so I have come upon questions about probably the most unique character in the series, at least in my opinion: Kruppe.

I was rereading GoTM and something sparked my mind, and it's probably a crazy theory but who knows, do you remember the scene when Crone disguised as Baruk's sickly hound when Councilor Orr came to visit, and to everyone else except Baruk saw Crone as a dog? What if Kruppe is doing that same illusion? I really don't think Kruppe can be a mortal, it just doesn't fit for some reason. Kruppe was acting really strange in this book. During scenes in the Phoenix Inn, Kruppe would always predict who was just about to come into the door, usually with something like "Oh, a happy reunion awaits" or something along those lines. I think Kruppe is an ascendant in disguise.

I have some questions as well about some strange symbolism or what I am almost sure is symbolism. There is a scene which I haven't seen before in Erikson , where something in the prologue is the last scene in the book. This whole book is a flashback almost, in that respect. It's when Kruppe and K'rul are talking, and some subtle hints have been given apparent only on rereading:

“Kruppe ever expects the unexpected, old friend. Why, could you ever expect otherwise? Kruppe is shocked. Yet, a thought arrives, launched brainward by a tug on this handsome beard. K’rul states he is not in the war. Yet, Kruppe suspects, he is nevertheless its prize.”
“Only you understand this, my friend,” the Elder God said, sighing. Then cocked its head. "I had not noticed before, but you seem sad."
"Sadness has many flavours, and it seems Kruppe has tasted them all."
"Will you speak now of such matters? I am, I believe, a good listener."
“Kruppe sees that you are sorely beset. Perhaps now is not the time.”
“That is no matter.”
“It is to Kruppe.”
K'rul glanced to one side, and saw a figure approaching, grey-haired, gaunt.
Kruppe sang, “‘Oh frail city, where strangers arrive … and the rest?"
The newcomer answered in a deep voice, "… pushing into the cracks, there to abide.’”
And the Elder God sighed.
“Join us, friend," said Kruppe. "Sit here by this fire: this scene paints the history of our kind, as you well know. A night, a hearth, and a tale to spin. Dear K’rul, dearest friend of Kruppe, hast thou ever seen Kruppe dance?”
The stranger sat. A wan face, an expression of sorrow and pain.
“No," said K'rul. "I think not. Not by limb, not by word.”
Kruppe's smile was muted, and something glistened in his eyes. "Then, my friends, settle yourselves for this night. And witness.”

The first, is that I think Kruppe is saddened by Anomander Rake's death. So, at this point, everything in the story has happened.

I'd like to focus on this part:

“Join us, friend," said Kruppe. "Sit here by this fire: this scene paints the history of our kind, as you well know. A night, a hearth, and a tale to spin. Dear K’rul, dearest friend of Kruppe, hast thou ever seen Kruppe dance?”
The stranger sat. A wan face, an expression of sorrow and pain.
“No," said K'rul. "I think not. Not by limb, not by word.”
Kruppe's smile was muted, and something glistened in his eyes. "Then, my friends, settle yourselves for this night. And witness.”

Kruppe's words echo the words that start off the series, the quote at the beginning of GOTM:

Now these ashes have grown cold, we open up this old book.
These oil stained pages recount tales of the Fallen,
a frayed empire, words without warmth. The hearth
has ebbed, it's gleam and life sparks are but memories
against my dimming eyes --- what cast my mind, what my
thoughts as I open the Book of the Fallen
and breathe deep the scent of history?
Listen, then, to these words carried on that breath.
These tales are the tales of us all, again yet again.
We are history relived and that is all, without end that is all.

So what does this say? I believe that we have a case of this series being recorded by someone else and we are just reading the retelling of it, more or less, and maybe each book within the book, is an entry by someone. I don't know, it all sounds crazy, but the connections between that scene and the beginning poem are interesting. I think one of the overarching themes of this series is cyclical nature of the world. The theme of convergence is repeated often, and to me it seems like these immortals like Rake, Kallor, Envy, Spite and so on throughout the Pantheon, are just fighting the same battle over and over again. Also, there is a quote in GOTM that may give some hints about the whole cyclical thing in the quotation preceding chapter 10:

Kallor said: "I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"

"Yes," said Caladan Brood, "you never learn."

People don't heed the warnings of history, they don't learn. I also find some sort of tragic symbolism in Icarium, he almost represents humanity in the way that he is this big, lumbering, powerful person searching for his past yet constantly forgetting it. He doesn't realize the monster he can be, which many people don't until it's too late. But by then we usually forget.

I don't know, I think Kruppe knows so much more than he lets on, even to someone like K'rul. I think he can see a person and look into their mind, and know their story. In this book, there were scenes where it was almost like a montage, narration was poetic, and it was usually detailing with small blips of what a certain character through the book is doing inside Darujhistan(sp?). I for one, at least believe that portions of this book were narrated by Kruppe, and maybe this whole series is the collection of a few character's stories, I can see Onos Toolan knowing Trull's story and Toc's and maybe he will surivive the series and contribute his knowledge, I can see other contributors like Kruppe, Bard, Duiker, Fiddler, Paran possibly, K'rul, maybe even someone like Coitillion, Mappo maybe, and Karsa perhaps. All of these people I can see as surviving the series and contributing their knowledge of these events, since they know of the histories and a lot of the characters in the book, through their being involved with a lot of the events.

Anywho, there's my crackpot theory. ;)
He who was living is now dead
We who were living are now dying

#2 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

First off, great wall of text ;)

Now, I'd also like to say that I don't think (am relatively sure) that Kruppe is holding up some kind of illusion all the time concerning his looks like Crone who was turned into a dog. It may be that Kruppe does create an illusion about himself in the way that he makes himself look a lot more fat than he really is, but that he would just do to get that innocent, unharmful look he so loves, it sure as hell wouldn't be to actually withhold his true identity. So I'm pretty sure Kruppe is indeed a human person, and a very powerful and intelligent mage for that matter (that's rather safe to say) but I wouldn't go as far to say he's ascendant. For that we lack proof.

Also, the whole conversation thing at the beginning of TtH with K'Rul, Fisher and Kruppe, I don't think Kruppe is sad because of what happened to Rake in person. Of course, it's safe to say this particular conversation happens at the end of TtH, since the complete book is obviously the tale Kruppe is spinning before his friends (k'rul and Fisher) whilest... dancing.
I personally, in that dialogue, found the end a lot more chilling... when Kruppe utters the words "and witness". It's always said by Karsa when he's about to do some weirdass humongous badass impressive shit... Kruppe using that word, with such a background, just makes me shiver all the time.
Now, you might be right that Kruppe is indeed sad about Rake's death (who isn't, after all?) but I also believe there's a lot more going on that makes sure Kruppe is sad... stuff that we do not know about because we can't possibly know about it.

And to end it, I also believe the whole series may be seen as a narration told by some person or group of people that was actually there, but I don't think it was narrated by the main characters of the book.
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#3 User is offline   Apocalypse Now 

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

View PostMcflury, on Dec 28 2008, 10:50 PM, said:

And to end it, I also believe the whole series may be seen as a narration told by some person or group of people that was actually there, but I don't think it was narrated by the main characters of the book.

I thought that too, but Kruppe's statement about hearths and the history of mankind made me think of that poem at the beginning.

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:45 AM

Kruppe is not an illusion, a god, an ascendant or a stapler. Kruppe is a mystery, even unto SE himself.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Apocalypse Now 

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:09 AM

View PostD'rek, on Dec 29 2008, 04:45 AM, said:

Kruppe is not an illusion, a god, an ascendant or a stapler. Kruppe is a mystery, even unto SE himself.

WHAT IF KRUPPE IS SE!!!!!!?!?!?!

WHAT A TWIST THAT WOULD BE EH GUYS?!!

MIND=BLOWN

#6 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

View PostApocalypse Now, on Dec 29 2008, 05:09 AM, said:

View PostD'rek, on Dec 29 2008, 04:45 AM, said:

WHAT IF KRUPPE IS SE!!!!!!?!?!?!

WHAT A TWIST THAT WOULD BE EH GUYS?!!

MIND=BLOWN

Lol. I seriously doubt it. (I think somewhere SE once said he himself would never be a character in any of the books)
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake

#7 User is offline   Argent Sun 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

Woah! That's quite a post there...

Two things I will agree with - it really felt like Kruppe was narrating certain parts of the book. Is he the one who wrote the Tales? No idea. Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it was Duiker. Maybe we will never find out. Maybe not.

The second thing you actually reminded me of, was the those books are stories. Tales. From a book - a Malazan book, a book of the Fallen. So we are bound to see many people related to the Malazan Empire somehow, die in those books. And there needs to be at least one survivor, so somebody can tell the Tale. Kruppe might as well be this survivor.
A single regret can crush a thousand proud deeds.

#8 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:44 AM

Perhaps...but I reckon it might be Duiker. Assuming such a person exists/will exist.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:36 AM

Or its Romance of the Three Kingdoms -style, a succession of collaborations of the tales made by a number of authors which eventually yields a historical novel with the final few editions being written/edited/annotated by people completely uninvolved and hundreds of years removed from the events...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:02 AM

View PostD'rek, on Jan 3 2009, 12:36 AM, said:

Or its Romance of the Three Kingdoms -style, a succession of collaborations of the tales made by a number of authors which eventually yields a historical novel with the final few editions being written/edited/annotated by people completely uninvolved and hundreds of years removed from the events...

Considering the Grub-Late Empire epigraph (which I believe is the furthest in the 'future' we've seen yet), this is more likely the source of most of the books, while Kruppe's tale survives somehow through K'rul or Fisher... or maybe Kruppe himself wrote it down somewhere.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

View PostArgent Sun, on Jan 3 2009, 12:11 AM, said:

Woah! That's quite a post there...

Two things I will agree with - it really felt like Kruppe was narrating certain parts of the book. Is he the one who wrote the Tales? No idea. Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it was Duiker. Maybe we will never find out. Maybe not.

The second thing you actually reminded me of, was the those books are stories. Tales. From a book - a Malazan book, a book of the Fallen. So we are bound to see many people related to the Malazan Empire somehow, die in those books. And there needs to be at least one survivor, so somebody can tell the Tale. Kruppe might as well be this survivor.

First off, 'fallen' doesn't always mean a certain person died. It can also mean that you're just not so glorified as you used to be for instance. Take the Malazan Empire itself, you could consider it a 'fallen' empire since it isn't that noble state it used to be under Kellanved's rule. So there's no need for many people to die in the next few books. Sure, that'll probably happen, but it's not something we can be sure of regarding the title of this series.

On Kruppe being a survivor: I'm reading the RotCG and I suddenly stumbled upon this little 'poem' you find at the beginning of chapters (I spoilered it since it of course isn't part of TtH or the other malazan books written earlier, but as I said, it's just a poem, it doesn't really add to the story of RotCG itself afaik)
Spoiler

Now, we all know Kruppe is the Eel, and this poem was written by a Darujhistan person, so it must be about Kruppe no matter what, this would basically mean Kruppe will still be standing at the end.
And even more surprising: all would be quiet... a rare thing when Kruppe is around :p
Anyways, I noticed this poem in the book, I read it and stared in front of me for about 10 minutes, wondering what it was doing there, what it meant, and in the end I can only come to this conclusion: Kruppe will not die in these series. Of course, one can never be sure.
But I'm equally sure this whole series isn't narrated by Kruppe though.

#12 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

Somewhere I remember SE stating that he intended the Malazan Book of the Fallen to be a historical account of his and ICE's world, presumably narrated or transcribed somewhere. An intention no doubt stemming from his being an anthropologist. If I'm not mistaken, Midnight Tides is apparently Trull relating to Onrack, I think, the events of his life that lead to him being Shorn. And of course, Toll the Hounds is orally narrated by Kruppe to Fisher and K'rul, hence the altered prose of TtH to accomodate Kruppe's diction. So your theory of the entire series featuring the recounting of events by various characters like Duiker and Fisher and Kruppe definitely has merit.

Also, I believe Kruppe's sadness would more likely stem from the death of Murillio, and the oft-repeated woe of his "expanding girth" lol. As far as Rake is concerned, I would agree with Mcflury. Everyone was sad over Rake's death, but the fact of the reunion of the Andii with Mother Dark gave the event a brilliant conclusion.

The idea of humans (and this idea is reflected in the Ascendants as well) as cyclic creatures is definitely a thematic element of this series, one that SE has constantly tried to reinforce. In SE's many philosophical moments, this particular topic is explored often. The idea of the neverending cycle of war and peace is quite common, especially noted during the uprisings in Seven Cities, where a regression from established order to tribal and city-state feuding continues over and over again. ICE mentions this regression with regards to Quon Tali in RotCG as well, so this idea is definitely enmeshed in the ideology of this series.

Kudos on the poetic connections as well.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 03 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#13 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

Whatever our speculations, I have a feeling we will find more evidence come the Darujhistan novella.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#14 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

It's only a novella? Awww, I wanted a nice juicy 800 page book positively brimming with new information. But I'm sure it will be brimming anyway, and will sink my teeth in regardless, no doubt. lol.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#15 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

It's a full novel not just a novella, you can be sure of that.

#16 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:37 AM

Yay! Happy times.

#17 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

Meh... Novel, novella, who gives a rhizan's squinting ass? :p
Suck it Errant!

#18 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:14 AM

Squinting? What a...talented rhizan.

-MTS, impressed...

#19 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

He can also do the Australian crawl.

-AIJ, will go on the road and make his fortune...
Suck it Errant!

#20 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

i can survive without that.
but of course i want to know as much as possible about one of my favourites, Kruppe. dammit, its just completely contrary to the character of Kruppe to reveal anything of him. we did not even now him to be the eel if not for Murillio finding it out eventually.
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users