• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most Interesting Characters Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   muco 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

Characters whom you found very interesting/Characters that are pretty unique to malazan world.

Kallor...Very difficult to find a character more than shallow than this guy. As old as the oldest gods, cursed, extremly powerful, Incredbly Smart (Does survive a long long time) the list goes on.

Rake...so poweful, so mysterious, never knew until the end what was happening in that brain of his.

Karsa...Ever read a character like him? I didn't. Love him or hate him, but he is kind of like this huge accident, which has a lot a of dead and mangled bodies and you don't want to watch it, but you can't help yourself from watching it.

Seguleh...If you know one, you know them all and you wish you have never met them. For me these guys are the most mysterious and most terrifying. Imagine a thousand of these guys going to war..*shudder*

Tlan Imas...Never thought un-dead could be that cool.

Pust...He is mad, definitly must be. He takes the meaning of insanity to a whole different level.

Icarium...Most mysterious character of Malazan world. Every one fears this guy...may be except one or two.

Rhulad...The moment he died, all I felt for him was pity. Its not always the bad guy can invoke that kind of response from you.

Who are your 'interesting' characters?

#2 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

Rake.
Gothos.
Draconus.
K'rul.
Onos T'oolan.
Kallor.
Tayschrenn.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#3 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

Silchas Ruin- He's just so cold! He is a dude though.
Tulas Shorn- mysterious undead Eleint Soletaken master of the Hounds of Shadow. That's pretty damn cule.
Gothos- Daddy to the Destroyer Of Everything
Icarium- Son to the guy who plants Azath!
Osric- Because in RotCG, he was just such a prick lol.
Edgewalker- confusion that comes in an undead package.

Mael/Bugg- one of Erikson's best characters.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#4 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Rhulad Sengar-best concept in Erikson's books.I can't believe he died at the hands of Karsa.Anti-climatic.His discussions with Udinaas and the CG are priceless
Anomander Rake
Onos T'oolan
Cotillion/Shadowthrone
Quick Ben
Itkovian in MoI
the Beddict Brothers and Bugg

#5 User is offline   Claymore 

• Recruit

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Fisher, all the songs, histories and poetry, but still bad ass

#6 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

WiskeyJack
Quick Ben Delat
Tayschrenn
Fiddler
Ammanas/Kelanved/Shadowthrone
Cottilion/Dancer
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#7 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

Cotillion... mysterious, but human, and always has his nose in the newest business
Rake... this one is just cool, powerful and mysterious(well that are most of the interesting characters but this one's it second most)
Kruppe... MOST mysterious, apparently powerful and funny
Quick Ben... i cannot imagine the true power of his warrens (therefore mysterious), but it was enough to take the sisters (Dusk, Dawn, Dapple) out (admittedly not alone, but pretty much)
Dassem Ultor... i like his name very much, Dassem the Avenger sounds fitting, and again MYSTERIOUS
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

#8 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

Kruppe - So funny, clever and insufferable. The very definition of "enigma".
Rake - so awesomely powerful and mysterious, and tragic.
Cotillion/Shadowthrone - their interactions and characters are just brilliant, Shadowthrone especially.
The Tyrant of Darujhistan - we know almost nothing about him, yet tantalising tidibits dripping with dread make me so intrigued about how badass this guy must be.
The regular Malazan soldiery - their dialogue is just hilarious.
Tehol/Bugg - the most side-splitting set of characters I have ever read. Period.
The Avowed - characters like Shimmer, Blues and Iron Bars are just plain cool. Iron Bars taking on five Toblakai, Shimmer taking on the Claw and Blues taking out all those soldiers with a piece of wood, was it? So awesome.
Kalam - just plain badass. His duel with the Claw on Malaz in DG was so cool to read.
Dassem and the Sword - near legendary figures. Loved reading about them in NoK. Dassem's story is also very interesting.
Draconus - just a cool name lol.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 01 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#9 User is offline   Called-by-the-Voices 

• High Fist
  • I am not yet done

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:48 AM

Skinner.

I think he is one of the best characters in modern fantasy, overall. I mean, the way SE and ICE gave us bits and pieces about him through out the series, only to unleash him in RotCG is just brilliant. The whole Soldier of Death vs him rivalry, then his prowess with the sword, his reputation, etc, etc. His line "all will be unleashed, I intend to inflict a lesson here, that none should oppose us." always gives me shivers...

I was soooo pissed when he turned out to be the bad guy...
And one by one the gardens died

#10 User is offline   Richard 

• Recruit

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

Trying to stick specifically to the interesting criteria I'd list;

Cotillon/Dancer; Compassionate and sympathetic with a very empathic feel, whilst at the same time one of the most feared and lethal assassins in the entire books.

Bugg/Mael; God of the seas, one of the most ancient and powerful gods around yet enjoying living on scraps as a servant.

Tehol; Genius with no ambition and just lives to enjoy life as it comes. I love his dialogues much more than Kruppe's somewhat pompous monologues.

Fiddler; I still want more stuff with him in. So much more than just one a malazan vet.

Onos Toolan/Tool; Many unplumbed depths to him and still more to add. (He has married Hetan after all.)

Toc the younger; Suffered resurrection a bit too often but still very interesting and enjoyable to read.

Storo Matash; I wanted to hear a lot more about him.

#11 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

Cotillion: He's laid hints a few times now that his interests aren't the same as Shadowthrones. I, for one, am very curious to see what they are.

Cutter: Yes, I know he's emo. I like him though. No idea why.

Kalam: Best. Assassin. Ever.

Trull: Amazing skill coupled with extreme modesty. Quite a good combination that is, unfortunately, used too often (Nimander etc...)

The Queen of Dreams: I know we know barely anything about her, but she's obviously got a plan.

Hood: See above

Laseen: ICE completely redeemed her in my eyes. Made her death that much more significant.

Tehol/Bugg: Together they're brilliant.

Ublala Pung: The only thing that makes Tehol/Bugg better.

#12 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

View PostBenji, on Jan 9 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

Not.As.Good.As.Apsalar :p

I agree with you on Cotillion though, I also get the impression he has plans of his own.

#13 User is offline   Called-by-the-Voices 

• High Fist
  • I am not yet done

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

View PostHinter, on Jan 9 2009, 03:10 PM, said:

View PostBenji, on Jan 9 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

Not.As.Good.As.Apsalar :p

I agree with you on Cotillion though, I also get the impression he has plans of his own.

Oh nooo

Better.Then.Apsalar
Or you may call him: Learned-the-trade-fair-and-square-not-by-some-divine-possession :p
And one by one the gardens died

#14 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

but not as good as dancer though. and dancer has learned the trade fair. look up in the end of HoC, where Cotillion and Kalam take Bidithals temple apart, and Kalam admitts that he has never seen such skill.

#15 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

I probably should have explained what I meant a bit better.

Kalam is my FAVOURITE Assassin. Apsalar is arguably better (almost definitely whilst she's dancing, otherwise? I doubt it) and Dancer is, of course, the best. Cowl and Topper could possibly defeat Kalam as well.

Kalam is just my favourite. That's all I meant =P

#16 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

View Postmuco, on Dec 25 2008, 01:50 AM, said:

Characters whom you found very interesting/Characters that are pretty unique to malazan world.

Kallor...Very difficult to find a character more than shallow than this guy. As old as the oldest gods, cursed, extremly powerful, Incredbly Smart (Does survive a long long time) the list goes on.

Rake...so poweful, so mysterious, never knew until the end what was happening in that brain of his.

Karsa...Ever read a character like him? I didn't. Love him or hate him, but he is kind of like this huge accident, which has a lot a of dead and mangled bodies and you don't want to watch it, but you can't help yourself from watching it.

Seguleh...If you know one, you know them all and you wish you have never met them. For me these guys are the most mysterious and most terrifying. Imagine a thousand of these guys going to war..*shudder*

Tlan Imas...Never thought un-dead could be that cool.

Pust...He is mad, definitly must be. He takes the meaning of insanity to a whole different level.

Icarium...Most mysterious character of Malazan world. Every one fears this guy...may be except one or two.

Rhulad...The moment he died, all I felt for him was pity. Its not always the bad guy can invoke that kind of response from you.

Who are your 'interesting' characters?

You hit it right on the money for me. *pretends to give him rep*
To me those are the most interesting characters, except maybe with Qiuck Ben added in. His story is great (of what we know).

#17 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

View PostBenji, on Jan 9 2009, 04:30 PM, said:

Kalam is my FAVOURITE Assassin. Apsalar is arguably better (almost definitely whilst she's dancing, otherwise? I doubt it) and Dancer is, of course, the best. Cowl and Topper could possibly defeat Kalam as well.

Actually Pearl in DG said that Kalam was beter then Topper although he could be mistaken of course.

On Topic:

Bugg:Great comic scenes with Tehol and awesomly powerful god who when unleashed is seemingly unstoppable.Brilliant part in the MT epilogue when he goes and beats the CG senseless.
Cotillion: Best assassin, one of the few gods who don't tret mortals like dirt, his dialogues with ST are priceless.
Iskaral Pust: Completely mad. What lese do I have to say?
Quick Ben: How many mages with 12 warrens do you know? Plus I like guys who don't want to be recognised as powerful and want to keep a low profile.
Kallor: Probably one of the most complex characters in the MBotF. A powerful tyrant who destroyed an entire continent and betrayed his allies but who can still prove(surprisingly) some emotions.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#18 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on Jan 9 2009, 05:05 PM, said:

View PostBenji, on Jan 9 2009, 04:30 PM, said:

Actually Pearl in DG said that Kalam was beter then Topper although he could be mistaken of course.

Yeah I know, but then Topper was able to drive Cowl to eternal imprisonment, and Cowl was supposed to be a match for Dancer...

#19 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

a match for dancer? impossible! and of course not for cotillion, who is a god at last. i think his skill has even impoved through his ascendancy.

This post has been edited by Seguleh 1st: 09 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

#20 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:00 AM

Most of the soldiers are my faves...especially Fid and Kalam. When they split from the other BB's in DG, I was worried that it wouldn't be as fun to read. But how wrong I was. Kalam's solo missions were awesome, and Fid turned from crazy mayhem sapper to a great sergeant and leader.

Cotillion-at first I didn't like him, but he has become pretty much the only decent god out there and he's a good read.

Kallor (!!!)-Yes, Kallor. I hated him in MoI but underneath the hate was my interest in this old grey dude that had lived thousands of years and WASN'T Ascendant. And as of TtH, I no longer hate him.

Quick Ben-"A horrible little thousand-faced wizard", he is just so shifty and mysterious, with all these secrets and plans hidden up his sleeves you can't help but love him.

And the rest:

Rake
Bugg
Tehol
Crokus
Picker
Toc
Trull Sengar
Keneb
The Seguleh
Traveller

And many others...

On Kalam: Pre-Ascendancy, I think (with a little luck) Kalam could have killed Dancer. But certainly not after Dancer ascended.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users