• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Azath 'forest.'

#1 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

Just before Rillish and Nether enter the Imperial Warren, and see Ragman kill the brother to the count (Dol D'Avig), they pass through a whole forest of Azath trees/roots, some of which ensnare the dukes horse.

Following a recent Azath discussion in the TTH's area, I was wondering how people think this fits in with the general view of the Azath; as it seems to be a small but significant addition to our present knowledge of the Azath, a bit like the 'Builder' sequence in TTH's.

Firstly, the roots take a horse, and Nether says that they'll take anyone bold enough to intrude. I thought that they usually only grab at powerful beings, in order to contain them.

Secondly, the forest is in the Shadow realm.

"As those trees are to the Azath, so is this forest to Shadow. None who enter escape...
...and this raises an important question - what could be so difficult, or important, to imprison that an entire forest is required?"

Do they surround an Azath? Does Nether mean that they trap things for Shadow?

It's all idle speculation of course, as none of it's really explained, I'm just interested in Azath/Warren mechanics, and I like the way we just get a few lines here and there that only hint at how it all works.

EDIT - not duke; he was the brother of the count

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

Okay I remember no mention of an Azath forest in RCG. Could you give us the page number because I'd certainly like to reread that.

Who is this duke that you say is killed by Topper? Prince Kazz?

#3 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

It really is brief. Remember when Rillish is manning a blockade with the Wickans, and a group of Malazans turn up? One is a Mage - 'Dol D'Avig - a better mage than his brother is count.'
He tries to choke them, but flees on horseback, and Rillish and Nether follow him.

Ok, he's brother to a count, maybe not a duke, I couldn't remember.

P375 in my copy, a little way into chapter IV, just after the magistrates in Heng have been marched off by Storo.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:44 AM

Okay found it. Certainly is an interesting section. I believe the tree's are just an extension of one azath though, it isn't a forest of azaths plural. That would be ridiculous.

#5 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

So there is an Azath house in the Shadow realm. That still seems odd in itself, although this might be another wandering fragment.

The forest might be linked to one house, but it's still on a scale not seen anywhere else - a whole forest instead of a garden. If it only takes a few roots to take large soletaken and toblakai, the forest could take a hound or seven maybe. Tremolor gave it a go, anyway.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:04 AM

It takes much more than single roots and branches to take soletaken and the hounds.

Tremolors garden lay in the middle of a gigantic maze of roots and trees. If you remember, all the time fiddler and co were travelling towards tremolors center hundreds or thousands of soletaken were fighting their way in through Tremolors defenses. They could be heard smashing their way as branches were broken and roots were torn. Tremolor just generated more and was slowly taking them one by one, only the most powerfull were able to make it all the way. And here were talking a freaking Dhenrabi D'ivers. Only a dragon D'ivers could be more awesome than that.

#7 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

Yeah, I forgot the Dhenrabi D'ivers...! I was thinking more of the Azath in Lether, that didn't have a forest, but had a load of Toblakai, and Ruin, and Sheltatha etc all in the same garden. Like the roots didn't need a whole forest.

Tremolor was practically a forest - a ruined one, with a maze of roots rather than trunks. Just thinking about that, it was the fake path of hands left by Pust that led them all in there in the first place, wasn't it?

Dragon D'ivers - now that would be fun.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

Tiam!

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

Double posting here, but.

I think I know what the difference between Tremolor and small Azaths like the Dead House, Finnest and the Lether one are.

Tremolor didn't have a guardian. The deadhouse for example didn't need a gigantic forest as a protection, it had a Jaghut Tyrant protecting the grounds.

#10 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

Is that why Moby could open the door? It needed a Guardian? Are you certain that the suit of armour in there wasn't empty, as I thought someone told Moby off for pissing on the floor after Fiddler etc had left.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Yeah, Moby was allowed to open the door because he was needed as a guardian.

#12 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:41 AM

best thing in the world, a demon thats a soletaken bhokarala
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#13 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:31 AM

You guys are taking this the wrong way. The forest is not an Azath.

As those trees are to the Azath, so is this forest to Shadow. None who enter escape...
...and this raises an important question - what could be so difficult, or important, to imprison that an entire forest is required?"

The forest is compared with the trees of an Azath. Compared with. They are not the same. The forest is obviously a Shadow defence-mechanism. Nothing more.

Still, a very strange occurance. Even if not quite related to the Azath. :robo:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#14 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

Maybe Shadow is the depository of those who are incarcerated in the Azath, I mean it was mentioned that every tenth feature had a creature/Soul ? chained to it
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

Imperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on Dec 24 2008, 02:16 AM, said:

Maybe Shadow is the depository of those who are incarcerated in the Azath, I mean it was mentioned that every tenth feature had a creature/Soul ? chained to it

The repository of the incarcerated people is the Azath. Anyways... Shadow has some weird stuff going on. Edgewalker was around during the initial birth of the Hold of Shadow"? Why not just take control then? This comes from the scene with Kyle watching Osserc & Anomander, "It is of Emurlahn".
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#16 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

HoosierDaddy, on Dec 24 2008, 09:56 PM, said:

The repository of the incarcerated people is the Azath. Anyways... Shadow has some weird stuff going on. Edgewalker was around during the initial birth of the Hold of Shadow"? Why not just take control then? This comes from the scene with Kyle watching Osserc & Anomander, "It is of Emurlahn".

Can we be certain that the third person was Edgewalker? When I read it, my intial thought was that the third person was Tulas Shorn or maybe Scabandari. One of the initial bigshot Tiste Edur.

Speaking of the Kyle/Osserc/Anomander scene, anybody got any speculation as to who Resuthenal might be? L'oric's mom? another daughter of Osserc's?
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#17 User is offline   Claymore 

• Recruit

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

I have to agree that the Shadow forrest is only compared to the trees of Azath, not that they are of the Azath. As far as beings chained to the trees, maybe they are the pretenders to the throne of Shadow, as referenced in NoK by Edgewalker. Shadow claimed them and holds them in that forrest.

#18 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

The Denrabhi d'ivers was powerful; the bugger moved by warrening in and out through the air alone. But there was one higher than him. One that made it to the very door itself.

The Hornet Horde.

Swarms and swarms of hornets that were too elusive to catch by conventional vine grabbing.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#19 User is offline   Richard 

• Recruit

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

The forest seemed to be compared to the Azath rather than an example of it in another form. It certainly seemed to serve the same purpose.

One interesting point about the Bhokarala that was cleaning up in the house whilst Liossercal, Dancer, Traveller and the others were facing off was that it seemed connected to the house. That and the caution with which they all seemed to treat it made me think the house was an Azath. In which case does anyone think it could be the one that made it into Tremolor?

#20 User is offline   Xardean 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Didn't the rat D'ivers make it pretty far too?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users