• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who is Kruppe???

#21 User is offline   Vicodin&FantasyBooks 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

ABout the scale of his actions In GoTM Kruppe or someone around him says that "Power draws power." so in a way he is trying to keep himself out of the God's sight by limiting his power to his daily needs.

Power lust is the same feeling that you've 'never made it' or can never 'make it' in a way. After every challenge you feel tired but not sattisfied. In his wisdom Kruppe has understood this and adjusted his criteria for 'making it' for a smaller scale of things. And that is the only way to lead a happy fullfilled life because in the end there is no objective criteria for 'making it' besides your own.

Did Adjunct Lorn feel fulfilled before she died because she had risen to the second most powerful position in the Empire? No because all her life she was driven by the need for revenge and yet ninety percent of the time she surpressed it behind the cold emotionless image of what an adjunct must be.

So that kind of explains Kruppe's lifestyle and his phylosophy.

This post has been edited by Vicodin&FantasyBooks: 03 December 2008 - 10:44 AM

AND in your forceful innocence you all believe you're somewhat special. That you're better than the sinners of this world. Well you're not special. Not on my internet ;P

#22 User is offline   Isaac 

• Recruit

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

View PostLisheo, on Sep 22 2008, 01:02 PM, said:

She gave up her name unti she left the Nameless Ones, remember. She hints that to Mappo, by saying that Taralack wasn't a real NO because he hadn't given up his name yet.

So doesn't that mean that Kruppe could do the same once he left? No one said that he was an active member... He knows too much to be just a mortal, and has some abilities that need some explaining, such as the Caladan Brood scene where he escaped unscathed. He may not be an ascendant, but he definitely isn't normal.

#23 User is offline   the peacemaker 

• Recruit
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:01 AM

my guess is thathe is a high mage focust on hidden and subtile power (like dont trippin wards insed of rippin em apart)

brood icident was probably K'ruls intervention (every one need somone to talk to dont they?
Spoiler
)
LIFE IS FIRE FIRE IS LIFE - Imass saying

#24 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

I'm confused. Why are the first however many posts of this thread repeated twice?

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#25 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

View PostTerez, on Dec 20 2008, 08:32 AM, said:

I'm confused. Why are the first however many posts of this thread repeated twice?

I don't see that.

#26 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

My apologies for that. Duplicated posts were a problem left over from the transfer. If you find any more threads like that, give me a PM and I will fix them.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#27 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:54 PM

View PostLisheo, on Dec 20 2008, 03:22 PM, said:

My apologies for that. Duplicated posts were a problem left over from the transfer. If you find any more threads like that, give me a PM and I will fix them.

I didn't realise you were a mod Lisheo.

Ouch.

#28 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Dec 20 2008, 06:54 PM, said:

Ouch.

I stay under the radar :(
but nonetheless, RESPECT MAH AUTHORITY :D
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#29 User is offline   Ahlrada Ahn 

• Recruit

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:56 AM

View Postthe peacemaker, on Dec 7 2008, 11:01 PM, said:

brood icident was probably K'ruls intervention (every one need somone to talk to dont they?
Spoiler
)

I think Kruppe was way too relaxed during the incident for him to have depended upon outside help. 100% Kruppe IMO.

#30 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

but something isn't subtle at all. remember brood?
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

#31 User is offline   Soulessdreamer 

• Fist
  • Location:Hill of Bitter Memories, the City of Sails, in the Land of the Long White Cloud
  • Interests:Sword fighting, HEMA, roleplaying, reading (fantasy and sci fi), weapons and Gaming (PC and Xbox)

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

View PostTraveller, on Sep 18 2008, 09:38 PM, said:

Um, that's in TTH's isn't it? This is MoI forum.

Kruppe is not a mage or ascendant, but he is an incredibly intelligent mortal. In a small lardy body.

Its in both, in TtH Baruk mentions
Spoiler

Kruppe may not be an ascendent but a personifacation of luck/magic/chance much like weis and hickman's simkin character from their Darksword trilogy, or something else we haven't encountered yet (extraplaner entity?).

TTFN
Imagine a world without such souls.
Yes, it should have been harder to do.

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

View PostDolorous Menhir, on Dec 20 2008, 07:54 PM, said:

Ouch.

Lisheo, Dancer, Bubba, Grief and myself were upgraded to book moderators. I think McFlurry might also be a moderator, am I forgetting anyone?

Also Cougar got the full upgrade to supermod.

#33 User is offline   Severian 

• Corporal

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

maybe Kruppe is a god when korlat asked him "who is in your shadow?" he said "no one.." from that and other things hes capable , im thinking that he maybe an elder god..(and his mule is a disguised demon) Is that possible?

#34 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:59 AM

View PostSeverian, on Jan 23 2009, 07:07 AM, said:

maybe Kruppe is a god when korlat asked him "who is in your shadow?" he said "no one.." from that and other things hes capable , im thinking that he maybe an elder god..(and his mule is a disguised demon) Is that possible?

Anything's possible. On his mule, it has a habit (in MoI, not so much in GotM of course) to be sleepy-headed, dreaming, etc etc. This is very typical of how K'rul does things since re-entering the world in GotM. Similar cases being K'rul wandering Kruppe's dreams and acting through a sleeping Ganath with Envy...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#35 User is offline   TeddyGraham 

• Corporal

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:12 AM

I guess I'm alone then in thinking that Kruppes mule has something to do with his power. When he stood down Caladan brood the mule kicked Brood, and there have been other hints that the mule was more then it seemed.
sometimes I wonder if the gift of revelation, of discovering the means underlying humanity, offers nothing more then the devastating sense of futility, it is the ignorant who find cause and cling to it, for within that lies the illusion of significance-steven erikson.

#36 User is offline   TeddyGraham 

• Corporal

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

Guess I should have read the whole thread before replying, but still, I considered the possibility that the mule is where Kruppe gets his power.
sometimes I wonder if the gift of revelation, of discovering the means underlying humanity, offers nothing more then the devastating sense of futility, it is the ignorant who find cause and cling to it, for within that lies the illusion of significance-steven erikson.

#37 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

I do think the mule is a key to Kruppe being able to defy Brood in that scene as well. It may be that the mule is a conduit of Kruppe's connection to K'rul? I think he had access to Mockra before he had anything to do with K'rul. He was the Eel long before the Elder reawakened.

I think though that in the end, he's what Quick Ben claims, a hyper-intelligent mortal who could ascend if he wanted to, but hasn't. Is it possible to defy ascendancy? If so, then Kruppe is my candidate.

#38 User is offline   Soulessdreamer 

• Fist
  • Location:Hill of Bitter Memories, the City of Sails, in the Land of the Long White Cloud
  • Interests:Sword fighting, HEMA, roleplaying, reading (fantasy and sci fi), weapons and Gaming (PC and Xbox)

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

View PostRangerSG, on Feb 13 2009, 10:52 PM, said:

I do think the mule is a key to Kruppe being able to defy Brood in that scene as well. It may be that the mule is a conduit of Kruppe's connection to K'rul? I think he had access to Mockra before he had anything to do with K'rul. He was the Eel long before the Elder reawakened.

I think though that in the end, he's what Quick Ben claims, a hyper-intelligent mortal who could ascend if he wanted to, but hasn't. Is it possible to defy ascendancy? If so, then Kruppe is my candidate.

Maybe he has got the decoder ring but has yet to claim his seat, perhaps loath to leave the mortal realm.

TTFN
Imagine a world without such souls.
Yes, it should have been harder to do.

#39 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

View PostSoulessdreamer, on Feb 13 2009, 07:42 AM, said:

View PostRangerSG, on Feb 13 2009, 10:52 PM, said:

Maybe he has got the decoder ring but has yet to claim his seat, perhaps loath to leave the mortal realm.

TTFN

I would probably go with the theory that he rejects power because he knows power attracts power. And to become an ascendant is to play by their rules. Something he refuses to do. But yes, I do believe he's at the place where if he wanted to ascend, he could.

This post has been edited by RangerSG: 13 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

#40 User is offline   Jaghut Slayer 

• Recruit

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

The very first time we meet Kruppe in GotM we're told that he is a walking Deck of Dragons, able to see all possible futures. Couple this with the fact that he is supported by an Elder God (I like the idea of the Mule by the way, I hadn't thought of that!) then he would know how situations were going to pan out long before they occured.

Take the example with Brood. He wouldn't have been relying on K'rul interveening, he would have known in advance how things were going to occur!!

Maybe?!?!?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users