Malazan Empire: New Dawkins Campaign - Malazan Empire

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Dawkins Campaign score one to the Atheists?

#121 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

No, because it neither attempts to control or explain anything, nor is it limited to early human existence.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#122 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

View PostThe 20th, on Dec 30 2008, 06:25 AM, said:

Or belief that something exists outside of human existence/understanding that we cannot/never will explain.

Which would say that human beings are prone to believe in a God, for no reason whatsoever. From my knowledge, there has been absolutely no religion founded on spontaneous belief in a vacuum. There is always something that is unexplainable to make them question what the phenomena is and why it is happening.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#123 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Dec 30 2008, 01:52 PM, said:

View PostThe 20th, on Dec 30 2008, 06:25 AM, said:

Or belief that something exists outside of human existence/understanding that we cannot/never will explain.

Which would say that human beings are prone to believe in a God, for no reason whatsoever. From my knowledge, there has been absolutely no religion founded on spontaneous belief in a vacuum. There is always something that is unexplainable to make them question what the phenomena is and why it is happening.

Um... except if God actually exists and the religion sprang from that....

Although I see where that explains the spread of a religion in its infancy. The message had to made 'viral' somehow since God or Gods didn't talk to everybody. What your definition doesn't explain are the intelligent peoples who are religious. There are plenty who are Christian, Buddhist or whatever who don't believe because they feel it explains the natural world, or because they're afraid of divine retribution or because they hope for paradise.
Maybe I'm a wocky Christian, but I don't believe in God for any of the reasons you listed...

This post has been edited by The 20th: 30 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#124 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

No, that is explanation #2, there is an all-powerful being which is going to make life crap for you if you don't believe.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#125 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

Sorry HD, I was probably editing my post to be clearer at the same time you were posting. Just making sure you notice my edit above. ;)

#126 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

I saw it, and yes my background on religion tends to be their growth and affect on history and their affect on politics. Less so the philosophical side of things.

As to your edit: I think there are very few christians who even act like Christ in the first place, for those who do, I think there is a combination of the first two categories. Even intelligent people don't know everything, leaving space for faith in God in #1; for those non-bellievers I, speaking as one myself, the only that gives me pause is what if I'm wrong, nobody likes the idea of an eternity of torture, which is #2.

#127 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:29 PM

That's a very interesting post, Stormy. I think I agree with most of it. I just want to bring up another reason Christians act morally. Many Christians feel they change supernaturally on the inside, which changes their perspective - which is to say they are filled with a supernatural love for other beings, which acts like an incentive to do good things. So essentially they have two different perspectives in the same body - one is the usual human, selfish and intellectual being - and the other is the supernatural part which influences and makes a strong impact on certain areas and thought processes. Christians are conflicted people - and it doesn't get any easier the more you believe, quite the contrary. ;)

I know this won't make it into a theory of yours, since you don't believe in supernatural things, but I'm saying it anyway. :p
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#128 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

View PostGem Windcaster, on Dec 30 2008, 08:29 AM, said:

That's a very interesting post, Stormy. I think I agree with most of it. I just want to bring up another reason Christians act morally. Many Christians feel they change supernaturally on the inside, which changes their perspective - which is to say they are filled with a supernatural love for other beings, which acts like an incentive to do good things. So essentially they have two different perspectives in the same body - one is the usual human, selfish and intellectual being - and the other is the supernatural part which influences and makes a strong impact on certain areas and thought processes. Christians are conflicted people - and it doesn't get any easier the more you believe, quite the contrary. ;)

This is the same reason people give to charity, and that has nothing to do with supernatural forces or religion. Doing nice things make people feel good about themselves because it makes them think they are being a better person. Spirituality doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with it.

#129 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Dec 30 2008, 02:33 PM, said:

View PostGem Windcaster, on Dec 30 2008, 08:29 AM, said:

This is the same reason people give to charity, and that has nothing to do with supernatural forces or religion. Doing nice things make people feel good about themselves because it makes them think they are being a better person. Spirituality doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with it.

Yes, I am aware of that fact, however that wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about an actual supernatural change in people, where you love people you usually are not inclined to love and do things you otherwise are not inclined to do. :p

#130 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Dec 30 2008, 01:26 PM, said:

I saw it, and yes my background on religion tends to be their growth and affect on history and their affect on politics. Less so the philosophical side of things.

As to your edit: I think there are very few christians who even act like Christ in the first place, for those who do, I think there is a combination of the first two categories. Even intelligent people don't know everything, leaving space for faith in God in #1; for those non-bellievers I, speaking as one myself, the only that gives me pause is what if I'm wrong, nobody likes the idea of an eternity of torture, which is #2.

In my own analysis/pondering of my religions beliefs, I discarded #2 long ago. Fear of retribution thereby belief for expedience sake or to "hedge my bets" seemed to me a piss poor reason for faith.

For me, it is more a belief in the existence of the irrational and the illogical (thereby #1 doesn't fit exactly, because I am not using religion to explain anything but rather to state that there is that which cannot and will never be explained). I can't imagine discarding this and bowing to logic by stating "this is all there is" as this seems monumentally short sighted. #1 as it is worded brings too strongly the image of people who attempt to explain the natural world through divine intervention.

I'm not a very traditional Christian. If I die and that's it, nothingness, well, I'm not going to waste time worrying about it.

This post has been edited by The 20th: 30 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

#131 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, faith is not that simple as trying to avoid something you fear. In fact, fear does not have that effect on people, or the 10 commandments would have been followed strictly the last 2000 years already. ;)

To me, not being a Christian would be pure torture, and the incentive of being able to do good and having an eternal life beats any reasons like fear. Besides, the hell as torture is a debatable fact. For people that want to go to heaven, it might be, but not everyone wants to be with God for the rest of eternity, so in their case it's a matter of relativity.

This post has been edited by Gem Windcaster: 30 December 2008 - 03:32 PM

#132 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

View PostGem Windcaster, on Dec 30 2008, 10:31 AM, said:

Yeah, faith is not that simple as trying to avoid something you fear. In fact, fear does not have that effect on people, or the 10 commandments would have been followed strictly the last 2000 years already. ;)

To me, not being a Christian would be pure torture, and the incentive of being able to do good and having an eternal life beats any reasons like fear. Besides, the hell as torture is a debatable fact. For people that want to go to heaven, it might be, but not everyone wants to be with God for the rest of eternity, so in their case it's a matter of relativity.

1. Humanity provides reason do good w/out religion.
2. It is easy for people who think they are going to heaven to not worry about #2. Being sure that you are going to go to heaven, or more appropriate, not hell is the kind of moral certainty that tends to cause a lot of problems.
3. Where else are you going to be besides heaven or hell? Purgatory? Scaring peole as a ghost? Christianity provides no other alternatives.
4. More info on the bolded part please. Why would not being a christian be torture?

#133 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Dec 30 2008, 04:55 PM, said:

1. Humanity provides reason do good w/out religion.
2. It is easy for people who think they are going to heaven to not worry about #2. Being sure that you are going to go to heaven, or more appropriate, not hell is the kind of moral certainty that tends to cause a lot of problems.
3. Where else are you going to be besides heaven or hell? Purgatory? Scaring peole as a ghost? Christianity provides no other alternatives.
4. More info on the bolded part please. Why would not being a christian be torture?

1. Yes, indeed. But reason is not enough. We're all humans here, so we all know our own shortcomings.
2. Me going to heaven is, to me, not based on anything I do or don't do, instead it's pure grace. I can never deserve heaven, or make a way there by myself. Heaven is a gift, a promise, and is not based on actions, but on faith, trust, and the recognition that Jesus Christ is the son of God.
3. Depends on perspective and definition. Hell might be more than one place, since it's defined as Not Heaven - i.e. not being close to God.
4. Because it's my ultimate purpose to be close to God - I am genetically and spiritually wired to be Gods friend, child and companion. It's more to it, but that would be would make a much longer post than you'd care to read. It's all there in the Bible, though.

#134 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

View PostUrb, on Dec 25 2008, 11:28 AM, said:

View PostThe 20th, on Dec 21 2008, 04:06 AM, said:

How are athiests marginalized? Has someone found themselves discriminated against or discovered a lack of some privilage because they were an athiest?

I can see gay marriage as a possible example, but what else?

Abortion?

Just to go back to this point in the topic, I don't think this is the same thing. Gay marriage won't harm anyone, and if they're not getting married in a Church (because, let's face it, doing that would be daft) there shouldn't be a problem with it. To a Christian though, abortion is effectively killing an innocent, and when we're arguing against abortion, we're arguing from our point of view for the rights of the baby, not against the rights of the woman.

That said, I hate how the abortion issue has become a rallying point for both 'sides' in Christian/atheist debates - because yes, while being a Christian will intrinsically mean not supporting abortion, the argument itself is not a religious one. I don't see at all why a non-Christian should automatically be for abortion rather than against, and the debate becoming basically atheists v Christians sidelines the actual issue under discussion.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#135 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on Dec 30 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

while being a Christian will intrinsically mean not supporting abortion,

From Wikipedia:
The Eastern Orthodox, Mormon, Fundamentalist Protestant, and Roman Catholic denominations are against abortion. However, some of these denominations make exceptions in their doctrine for abortion performed to save the life of the mother, and in cases of pregnancy as a result of rape or incest.[8][9] Roman Catholics make no exceptions for cases of rape and incest, arguing that the way conception occurs makes no bearing on the sin of abortion. [10] The Roman Catholic Church also does not make an exception for the life of the mother per se, but it does not condemn procedures intended to save the mother that result in the loss of the unborn child as a "secondary effect."[10]

Some Mainline Protestants, such as Episcopalians, Methodists, United Reformed, Quakers, those in the United Church of Christ, and Presbyterians are generally pro-choice, as are Unitarian Universalists.
Shaken, not stirred.

#136 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

@ Gem- I have a small(ish) quibble. If you're genetically wired to be close to God (to worship him even), that might imply that when God created you he went to all the trouble of ensuring you would have to worship him...

Which smacks a little of cheating to me... More than that sounds a lot like hooking someone on crack just so you can sell them their rocks.

And why would anyone think that worshipping a deity that does something like that to people is a good idea? And why would an all-powerful and allegedly good Creator feel the need to resort to such underhand tactics?
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#137 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

View Postch'arlz, on Dec 30 2008, 05:15 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on Dec 30 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

while being a Christian will intrinsically mean not supporting abortion,

From Wikipedia:
The Eastern Orthodox, Mormon, Fundamentalist Protestant, and Roman Catholic denominations are against abortion. However, some of these denominations make exceptions in their doctrine for abortion performed to save the life of the mother, and in cases of pregnancy as a result of rape or incest.[8][9] Roman Catholics make no exceptions for cases of rape and incest, arguing that the way conception occurs makes no bearing on the sin of abortion. [10] The Roman Catholic Church also does not make an exception for the life of the mother per se, but it does not condemn procedures intended to save the mother that result in the loss of the unborn child as a "secondary effect."[10]

Some Mainline Protestants, such as Episcopalians, Methodists, United Reformed, Quakers, those in the United Church of Christ, and Presbyterians are generally pro-choice, as are Unitarian Universalists.

Okay, being Catholic. Apologies, being Catholic myself I tend to use the terms somewhat interchangably. Which I shouldn't. Tsk.
Works even better with my point though. >_>

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 30 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

#138 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

View Poststone monkey, on Dec 30 2008, 05:18 PM, said:

@ Gem- I have a small(ish) quibble. If you're genetically wired to be close to God (to worship him even), that might imply that when God created you he went to all the trouble of ensuring you would have to worship him...

Which smacks a little of cheating to me... More than that sounds a lot like hooking someone on crack just so you can sell them their rocks.

And why would anyone think that worshipping a deity that does something like that to people is a good idea? And why would an all-powerful and allegedly good Creator feel the need to resort to such underhand tactics?

If He'd done that, then we would all worship him... which we don't, patently. And if you don't have the choice to worship Him, then it's not really worship, just programming.
We're meant to worship God (in my belief, in case someone tells me off for putting words in everyone's mouth or points out that I'm not Gem), but we don't have to.

#139 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on Dec 30 2008, 12:42 PM, said:

We're meant to worship God (in my belief, in case someone tells me off for putting words in everyone's mouth or points out that I'm not Gem), but we don't have to.

Really... what happens if you don't worship God? You don't see a form of coercion in the whole Heaven/Hell thing? That is not a choice. It is an ultimatum.

Gem:
1. Are you saying that people who do good are doing it because of God? Because it sounds like you are saying that people can't do good just because they want to help somebody.
2. It isn't based on what you do or don't do? Free ticket to heaven?3
3. So... hell could simply be a universe without God? Ironic. ;)
4. God wrote the genetic code? Why am I not hard-wired that way? Am I less important?

#140 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:12 PM

Er, Gem? If you're genetically wired to worship God, then that must mean God genetically wired some people not to worship him, otherwise they would. You've just said that God deliberately condemned some people to hell.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 30 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users