Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Game

#1 User is offline   Shadowthrone 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

I remember reading somewhere that the Malazan world was created through Steven and Ian playing some kind of Role Playing game in their homemade world. I am wondering if the rules of that game have ever been released?

Also I think this world would be brilliant for a miniature game like Warhammer so just wondering if there is any news on the game front?
I have returned anew, wistfully my course holds true.
King of High House Shadow; Leader of the Cult of Handsome; Opponent to Repwhores and spammers.
Check out my football blog www.jogabonitomundo.com

#2 User is offline   Scifreak 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

It'd make a cool wargame, no doubt. Think the rpg would be superior tho

#3 User is offline   Shadowthrone 

• Captain

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:47 PM

So does anyone know the rules that Steven and Ian used when they played? Honestly I think it would be awesome if someone created new rules for a DnD type game for this world.
I have returned anew, wistfully my course holds true.
King of High House Shadow; Leader of the Cult of Handsome; Opponent to Repwhores and spammers.
Check out my football blog www.jogabonitomundo.com

#4 User is offline   Osric 

• Captain
  • Interests:Books, Games, Programming, Beer, Women, Movies

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

Well it's been said they based the malazan world on the Forgotten Realms D&D world. If you look closely you can see some similarities.
Wise words are like arrows flung at your forehead. What do you do? Why, you duck of course.
-Bult

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

As far as I remember someone is currently working on a game based on the Malazanworld.

Try looking in the game area.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

The link to the game development site is here.

I seem to remember GURPS being a part of the game-play that they used too.

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

Meh. Different types of game, people! :killingme:

One's computer-based, I think Shadowthrone was talking about the pen-and-paper variety. Still, check out Hetan's link!

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#8 User is offline   Fifty 

• Corporal

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

It said in an interview somewhere that they started with a customised DnD and moved onto GURPS.

#9 User is offline   Osric 

• Captain
  • Interests:Books, Games, Programming, Beer, Women, Movies

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

Question, is the malazan computer game on modcraft still in progress? You guys still working on it or what? And what are you making? A mod for a game?
Wise words are like arrows flung at your forehead. What do you do? Why, you duck of course.
-Bult

#10 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

Yes, it's still in progress.

Sadly, due to my busy exam schedule, there hasn't been much going on. However, as my exams are pretty much over, things should start to pick up. *hopes*

At the moment, we've finished the basic design of what we want, and are going to start doing a demo in the form of a mod shortly. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#11 User is offline   WWQBD? 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Crafting, reading, writing, math, etc.
  • Kookooka-freakin-choo.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

My ex and I started working on a game in the Malazan world based on a White Wolf system.

Since we've broken up, obviously, we haven't really developed it past those first few games, but we made it work. We used White Wolf primarily because of their golden rule (There are no rules), which we felt allowed for a lot of flexibility on the game's part. It rocked pretty hard core, too...
"As it turns out, the author is the most fickle of gods." -Me

#12 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

View Postsamgrillo42, on Nov 13 2008, 07:41 AM, said:

My ex and I started working on a game in the Malazan world based on a White Wolf system.

Since we've broken up, obviously, we haven't really developed it past those first few games, but we made it work. We used White Wolf primarily because of their golden rule (There are no rules), which we felt allowed for a lot of flexibility on the game's part. It rocked pretty hard core, too...

Yeah, I had an idea along those lines too, for flexibility and simplicity. oWoD Mage spheres rules would have easily translated for warrens, holds etc.

Cheers,

La Sombra, I am geek - hear me roar: "meep"
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13 User is offline   the peacemaker 

• Recruit
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:18 AM

somone need to make steve talk to Total war. MTWII with malazans... (got some ides on how to make it work actually
LIFE IS FIRE FIRE IS LIFE - Imass saying

#14 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:00 AM

View Postthe peacemaker, on Dec 8 2008, 07:18 AM, said:

somone need to make steve talk to Total war. MTWII with malazans... (got some ides on how to make it work actually

It would be amazing, but I doubt I will happen. Have you seen the aSoIaF mod for Medieval 2?

Total War with Malazan munitions, Mage cadres, different races, and, and... Mortal Swords! Tenescowri in Capustan!.... I'd better calm down :The Force:

It would just be too good.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#15 User is offline   the peacemaker 

• Recruit
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

hate when things that would go so nice together dont... warhammer total war malaz total war warcraft total war... DAM THEM ALL FOR BEENG SO EPIC IN MY HEAD!!
LIFE IS FIRE FIRE IS LIFE - Imass saying

#16 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

I've been playing around with an idea for a Diceland set based on GotM. Also tossing around a few ideas about a full-world boardgame...

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 19 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#17 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

Here's a very rough mock-up of side 8 and side 1 for Anomander Rake, for Diceland:

Attached File(s)

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users