• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#17921 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

Goddamit NO!

FOX buys the lions share of National Geographic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17922 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

View PostGothos, on 09 September 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

I'm rapidly approaching a breaking point where I'll be ditching half my polish "friends". It's been 70 years since the war, but it seems the nazis survived.

I don't want to live here anymore.

Bad luck G - there are 2 people in my entire circle of acquaintance who are hugely bigoted. I've taken the route of avoiding them as much as possible, when I can't then I avoid topics that allow them to vent their toxic opinions. I feel terribly guilty that I don't call them out on it but they are such fuckwits that there is no point. I'm not sure what I'd do if their opinions were common in my social circle - probably have a lot less friends or call people out on it until I stopped getting invited to be with them!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#17923 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

throat infection. Bah, made me miss a date even
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17924 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

My work productivity is almost entirely dependent on a server connection between my local lab and corporate. We just got an entirely new server cabinet installed last Saturday and today it decided to eat itself. I'll be finding a bunch of odd tasks to complete so they don't just send me home for the rest of this week. I just got caught up from the almost 2 week downtime I had while it was waiting to be replaced the first time. Hooray...
If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#17925 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:19 AM

People being indecisive are messing with my groove. Promises broken, decisions reversed - my schedule and work rythm are seriously messed up nowPosted Image

#17926 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

Not sure what to tell you.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17927 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 September 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostGothos, on 09 September 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

I'm rapidly approaching a breaking point where I'll be ditching half my polish "friends". It's been 70 years since the war, but it seems the nazis survived.

I don't want to live here anymore.

Bad luck G - there are 2 people in my entire circle of acquaintance who are hugely bigoted. I've taken the route of avoiding them as much as possible, when I can't then I avoid topics that allow them to vent their toxic opinions. I feel terribly guilty that I don't call them out on it but they are such fuckwits that there is no point. I'm not sure what I'd do if their opinions were common in my social circle - probably have a lot less friends or call people out on it until I stopped getting invited to be with them!

I think ignoring these people is the best option, unless you consider them at least partly prone to accepting reason.(not likely)
What I do when I have to endure such people is laughing at them. It's not the correct thing to do, but it's the only thing that will stop me from getting mad;It also makes me feel superior, which is always nice.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#17928 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

Coming across the Nicole Arbour "Dear Fat People" video and resulting shitstorm.

Don't you just love people who are nasty about other people, then when called out hide behind "Boohoo, you're keyboard warriors killing comedy!"

Forgive me, but if you have to be mean to people who are already something of a soft target to qualify as "comedy", you're probably not that funny.
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#17929 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

Heh, 'soft target'.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#17930 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

View PostTraveller, on 10 September 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

Heh, 'soft target'.

This is the breast sort of comedy.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17931 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 10 September 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

Coming across the Nicole Arbour "Dear Fat People" video and resulting shitstorm.

Don't you just love people who are nasty about other people, then when called out hide behind "Boohoo, you're keyboard warriors killing comedy!"

Forgive me, but if you have to be mean to people who are already something of a soft target to qualify as "comedy", you're probably not that funny.

This is what happened to some of the bigger comedians out there. Russel Peters, when he started off in Toronto a decade ago, was funny, irreverent, and topical and when he engaged the audience it was always with good humour and a co-op laugh. His most recent shows have illustrated the fact that he's now subscribing to "mean" humour for some reason. Flat out insulting people in the audience with mean spirited jokes. It puts me off his comedy.

And movies are no better. That Paul Rudd flick THIS IS 40...should have been called "When you're 40, you hate everyone and playing mean jokes on them is the only way to get ahead." It was literally a compendium of mean jokes. Also those HORIBBLE BOSSES movies...same deal...wall to wall mean or nasty comedy meant to pass as funny...when it's simply not the case.

I feel like Arbour is just a continuation of that style of comedy that I don't find remotely funny. I think to myself, the real comedians of our day and earlier didn't have to depend on insult comedy to make people laugh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17932 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 September 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

This is what happened to some of the bigger comedians out there. Russel Peters, when he started off in Toronto a decade ago, was funny, irreverent, and topical and when he engaged the audience it was always with good humour and a co-op laugh. His most recent shows have illustrated the fact that he's now subscribing to "mean" humour for some reason. Flat out insulting people in the audience with mean spirited jokes. It puts me off his comedy.

And movies are no better. That Paul Rudd flick THIS IS 40...should have been called "When you're 40, you hate everyone and playing mean jokes on them is the only way to get ahead." It was literally a compendium of mean jokes. Also those HORIBBLE BOSSES movies...same deal...wall to wall mean or nasty comedy meant to pass as funny...when it's simply not the case.

I feel like Arbour is just a continuation of that style of comedy that I don't find remotely funny. I think to myself, the real comedians of our day and earlier didn't have to depend on insult comedy to make people laugh.

"Two blokes go into apub.

Well,I say two. But this is supposed to be a three bloke joke. So they had a coupleof ales and ploughmans to wait for the third bloke.

Aftera while, a woman walks up and says, "Maybe I can help."

Onebloke replies: "Sorry, this is a three bloke joke. Two man and a womanwouldn't really work out."

Thenwoman says, "Actually, I am a bloke. I'm just waiting for a transvestiteinnuendo routine that hasn't shown up yet."

So theblokes go "Oh, thank you," and they start the joke.

So:three blokes go into a pub.

Well,I say three. One's actually dressed as a woman, but he's actually a manunderneath, so we're alright on paper.

Sothey go into the pub and who shall they run into but the bloke that wassupposed to be in the joke in the first place.

Thetwo blokes go "Where have you been? We've been waiting for you for half anhour!"

Thelate bloke apologisis: "Sorry I'm late. I was stuck in a shaggy dog story.The guy milked it and I couldn't get out of it!" Then he sees the woman."Who's this woman?"

"Shehad to fill in for you because you were late!"

Andthe late bloke says, "You're not going to kick me out of the joke are you?I've been doing the third bloke in the three-blokes-go-into-a-pub joke for 20years!"

Thetwo blokes says, "Yes, we are kicking you out. Now sit down and shut up!"

So thefirst bloke goes up to the bar. The late bloke starts heckling him. He shoutsout: "HEARD IT!!"

Thefirst bloke says "Well of COURSE you've heard it! You've beenn doing thejoke for 20 years!"

Atthis point the late bloke pulls out a gun.

"Right!I'm hijacking this old routine! I'm taking us on a surrealist ramble!"

Thesecond bloke says "You idiot! By pulling out that gun, you've alreadytaken us on a surrealist ramble! You're taking us to where we already are!We're now trapped! We're in Gibb's Paradox! We're in a self-defeatingtwo-dimensional continuum from which we can no longer justify our existence!"

And asthey said that, they started to melt away and their words faded into a delicatehanging cadence..."

This post has been edited by Maark: 10 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17933 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

View PostMaark, on 10 September 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 September 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

"Two blokes go into apub....

It's posts like this that make me think that maybe i do in fact like pistachio ice cream.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17934 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

A close cousin is now in the second day of post-surgery recuperation (probable cancer diagnosis). She, her spouse and kid are withdrawing into themselves and going into pieces. They are having slightly different reactions - one is sad/scared, the other is mad - and they are not being communicative to the extended family around them here.

We're all trying to be there quietly, bringing food, being there as stress outlets, trying to arrange shifts so that someone is always there etc, and it's being made difficult by them just basically pushing us all away. They've been doing it for a week plus now (leading up to the surgery).

It's the first time this particular nuclear family has ever had to deal with something like this, so it's slightly understandable, but it's messing with my groove because when I was in the hospital for a week a couple years ago, I and my nuclear family made sure they knew what was going on at every stage and how people could help.

So all I can do is vent here and continue to be patient with them.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#17935 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

View Postamphibian, on 10 September 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

A close cousin is now in the second day of post-surgery recuperation (probable cancer diagnosis). She, her spouse and kid are withdrawing into themselves and going into pieces. They are having slightly different reactions - one is sad/scared, the other is mad - and they are not being communicative to the extended family around them here.

We're all trying to be there quietly, bringing food, being there as stress outlets, trying to arrange shifts so that someone is always there etc, and it's being made difficult by them just basically pushing us all away. They've been doing it for a week plus now (leading up to the surgery).

It's the first time this particular nuclear family has ever had to deal with something like this, so it's slightly understandable, but it's messing with my groove because when I was in the hospital for a week a couple years ago, I and my nuclear family made sure they knew what was going on at every stage and how people could help.

So all I can do is vent here and continue to be patient with them.

Amph,

I went through this last year after my wife passed. Everybody was very helpful and people were there all the time checking on me and bringing me stuff and asking how I was and all I really wanted was to be left alone to process things. Mentally and emotionally I was full up and had nothing else and on top of it I had to deal with people in the house.

I highly doubt it's you or your family. It's probably just their way of coping. Try saying "Joe Bob, you've got my number, call me if you need anything." Then just let them deal. Ya'll sound like good caring folks.

#17936 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

I live about twelve minutes away from them and we see each other upwards of ten times a month, especially since I work with the husband. I'm picking up his slack with zero hesitation and he'll be welcome back whenever he wants.

They've also been in my life since before I was born, so they've always been around.

That's why this pushing away hurts. When I was hurt pretty bad, they were let in without hesitation and what they and others did helped quite a bit.

Their freaking out and/or processing proceeds at its own pace, which you're right, I cannot intrude on without being rude and hurtful.

#17937 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

View Postamphibian, on 10 September 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

Their freaking out and/or processing proceeds at its own pace, which you're right, I cannot intrude on without being rude and hurtful.

You really can't. Keep in mind that at root, it's their tragedy/struggle/situation.... they aren't obliged to let anyone else into the circle, so to speak, not even close family.

It's normal to want to do something, anything, to help, but if they don't want/need/ask, for whatever reason, doing it to make yourself feel better about your innate helplessness in the situation may not help them and that's counter to the point.

I've seen this play out many times and seen family rupture because of it... which is the complete opposite of what actually helps anyone involved.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17938 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

^ What Abyss said.

But - only knowing what you've said about the situation - you could help by doing something for/with their kid? I imagine a child would know the least about what to do/how to deal with the situation and the parents might have more time/opportunity to think things through? And you'd feel more able to be of help?
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#17939 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

View PostPuckstein, on 11 September 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

^ What Abyss said.

But - only knowing what you've said about the situation - you could help by doing something for/with their kid? I imagine a child would know the least about what to do/how to deal with the situation and the parents might have more time/opportunity to think things through? And you'd feel more able to be of help?

Kid's 26 years old.

He's closer to my brother and sister in law, so they're handling that in the sense that encouraging him to actually go to sleep is helping things.

We'll stay around and keep visiting as often as possible. It'll be ok - we're pretty hopeful about the eventual prognosis as well, even though it involves radiation therapy.

#17940 User is offline   Flutterby 

• Recruit

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

Having to register, again, because I forgot my sign in details *sigh*

XCOM 2 only being available on PC....it needs to come to console, damnit! Posted Image
For there is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one's own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes."
Milan Kundera, 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being'

Share this topic:

• 1532 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users