#21 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

Your specz are basically 4x what I got, and I am going a little green. Cheers again for the input.

Its still a fantastic mod BTW people, unless you have a computer that is past its sell by date and needs to be formatted, stuffed to the gills with malware...
souls are for wimps

#22 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

Max out ram where possible.

1gig is def. not enough, so I'd up that if you have the cash

I'm still running a 1.8GHz single core with 2gigs ram. It runs everything fine...even processor intensive games like Galactic Civilizations 2.

I used to get crashes from insufficient memory all the time before I upped the ram and the video ram. From my research/experience on the issue RAM often has bad sectors in it, especially in the cheaper brands (mine were as generic as they come). The bad sectors aren't always apparent under normal conditions, but tend to come out and crash stuff when the chips are hot and chugging hard at full capacity. Once I put an extra gig of system ram in it and swapped my useless video card for a mediocre one (Geforce 6600, 128meg) it has no troubles whatsoever. In my case it may have been the video ram that was doing it since I'd tend only crash in games like Guild Wars or WoW where it was trying to do 3D rendering with its pitiful 56megs and 100MHz Video processor. In your case I'd investigate the system ram since strategy games are less heavy on the video card and waaaaay heavy on the processor and system ram.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have to upgrade mine in another year or so, but new ram and a moderate video card upgrade is the economic way up your power. Probably $300-350 worth of mods and a bunch of research to get just the right stuff. You might still not get full settings, but with my computer I went from barely chugging WoW to running Elder Scrolls Oblivion at fully playable framerate...and that game cripples even the fastest computers. Mind you I had the settings down on the less important stuff (like windblown grass shadows and Full anti-aliasing) but still...running a game like that on a 5 year old computer is tits.

Fire some ram/Vram on it and you'll very likely stop crashing.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 07 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#23 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

anybody know if this can work on the steam version of Civ4 in any way at all?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#24 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

I don't see why not, are you having problems? If you do the civfanatics bug thread is watched keenly by the Mod Devs, so you could ask and get a reply within 24hrs.
souls are for wimps

#25 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:24 PM

haven't tried actually. I just thought with the licensing that Steam uses there might be weird issues or something. I'll check out their forums though.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users