Whats making you happy right now

#16701 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:44 AM

View Postworry, on 11 March 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

What kind of wedding are you gonna do?

We are doing a blended Nepali and American wedding process. The exact shape of things to come is not yet known because my Nepali family is not good at communicating this kind of thing early.

I have to talk it out with my father, mother, uncle, and other family members to make sure everyone gets heard. Then I go to Tina, my partner, and we decide what happens.

It is fairly important to me that she and her small family + friends side doesn't get overwhelmed by my family + friends + tradition. I think if she invited absolutely everyone she wanted to, her side would max out at 60. I have 47 first cousins at last official count. And my family keeps in contact with cousins as far as six or seven degrees apart.

So the guest list and events list is going to be tricky, especially with my father being tempted to fill up a 300 person event by himself.

I want a big chunk of the traditional Nepali wedding. I grew up with that culture strong around me and big parts are crucial to my extended family and friends. So this is going to be a tightrope act.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#16702 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:47 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 11 March 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

Congrats man! We will all be crashing the party.

Thank you. I will aim for a reception event that people can come to.

#16703 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

View Postamphibian, on 12 March 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 11 March 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

What kind of wedding are you gonna do?

We are doing a blended Nepali and American wedding process. The exact shape of things to come is not yet known because my Nepali family is not good at communicating this kind of thing early.

I have to talk it out with my father, mother, uncle, and other family members to make sure everyone gets heard. Then I go to Tina, my partner, and we decide what happens.

It is fairly important to me that she and her small family + friends side doesn't get overwhelmed by my family + friends + tradition. I think if she invited absolutely everyone she wanted to, her side would max out at 60. I have 47 first cousins at last official count. And my family keeps in contact with cousins as far as six or seven degrees apart.

So the guest list and events list is going to be tricky, especially with my father being tempted to fill up a 300 person event by himself.

I want a big chunk of the traditional Nepali wedding. I grew up with that culture strong around me and big parts are crucial to my extended family and friends. So this is going to be a tightrope act.

Congrats Amp!

Have you considered splitting it up into two events? One smaller one more in the american style, and one giant Nepali one? I'd prefer to be invited for the Nepali one, by the way.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#16704 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

The girlfriend's dad is now finally back in Spain. The Norwegian health care system treated him very well and he's on an impressive trajectory of recovery. Alas, his Spanish insurance company was a nightmare of terrible communication and stupid decisions, and so they got stuck in Oslo for almost a week longer than they needed to, waiting for the Insurance to get them a flight home. Normally being in Oslo for longer wouldn't have been a problem, but when you're injured you want to be in a place that feels comfortable and predictable.

Now they're back though, and happy. And we can turn this entire stressful ordeal into a funny story.

Last night we had a glass of wine on the couch while watching a movie, Bad Times at the El Royal, and went to bed at 9 completely exhausted.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#16705 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:20 AM

This is a truly ribbeting turn of events, Amp. Well done!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#16706 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 12 March 2019 - 07:27 AM, said:

Congrats Amp!

Have you considered splitting it up into two events? One smaller one more in the american style, and one giant Nepali one? I'd prefer to be invited for the Nepali one, by the way.

Some friends of mine went this route - they had a ceremony in Britain but then travelled to the bride's family's village in India and had a traditional Bengali ceremony as well. They cited concern for numbers of extended family and not wishing to overlook tradition as two of their main reasons. Might be worth a thought :p

WHMMHT: It's a year today since I referred myself into therapy. It's a mixed bag of emotions but I would say mainly they are positive, it's good to see how far I've come from that point.

Also, after a good clear out of FB, I actually shared some of the reasons behind the sponsored walk with the link to the fundraiser for the first time. Those closest knew already, but I've gone back and forth on whether to share it for a while and it actually feels good to have it "out" now.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 12 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#16707 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:35 AM

Made the decision to get my shit together and stop putting weight back on. I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for a couple of years, then starting last Halloween the wheels came off and I started eating like a madman. I’ve put back on about 30 pounds and feel like shit about it. I was so pleased with myself to lose it. So, now I’m holding myself accountable again. Counting calories, tracking food, avoiding carbs, keeping my diabetes well under control, which is why I lost the weight in the first place. I’m not going as hard as I did before, I lost the 100 pounds in about 5 months. I only need to lose 30 so no need to be that crazy.
Error: Signature not valid

#16708 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:35 AM

Good work man I believe in you :p
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#16709 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 13 March 2019 - 03:35 AM, said:

Made the decision to get my shit together and stop putting weight back on. I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for a couple of years, then starting last Halloween the wheels came off and I started eating like a madman. I’ve put back on about 30 pounds and feel like shit about it. I was so pleased with myself to lose it. So, now I’m holding myself accountable again. Counting calories, tracking food, avoiding carbs, keeping my diabetes well under control, which is why I lost the weight in the first place. I’m not going as hard as I did before, I lost the 100 pounds in about 5 months. I only need to lose 30 so no need to be that crazy.

I slacked off majorly on my gym sessions over the last year and kept eating like I didn't. Things kind of got to a frustrating point when I realized that I was verging on not fitting into my pants and swimsuits during a vacation last week. I am working alongside you on losing 30 lbs too.

We can do it!

#16710 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:21 AM

View Postamphibian, on 13 March 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Made the decision to get my shit together and stop putting weight back on. I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for a couple of years, then starting last Halloween the wheels came off and I started eating like a madman. I've put back on about 30 pounds and feel like shit about it. I was so pleased with myself to lose it. So, now I'm holding myself accountable again. Counting calories, tracking food, avoiding carbs, keeping my diabetes well under control, which is why I lost the weight in the first place. I'm not going as hard as I did before, I lost the 100 pounds in about 5 months. I only need to lose 30 so no need to be that crazy.

I slacked off majorly on my gym sessions over the last year and kept eating like I didn't. Things kind of got to a frustrating point when I realized that I was verging on not fitting into my pants and swimsuits during a vacation last week. I am working alongside you on losing 30 lbs too.

We can do it!

Nice. Just started getting after it again this week. I swear to god, when i turned 39 somebody slipped a 20 lb weight in my back pocket. 30's my goal also.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#16711 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 15 March 2019 - 01:21 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 13 March 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Made the decision to get my shit together and stop putting weight back on. I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for a couple of years, then starting last Halloween the wheels came off and I started eating like a madman. I've put back on about 30 pounds and feel like shit about it. I was so pleased with myself to lose it. So, now I'm holding myself accountable again. Counting calories, tracking food, avoiding carbs, keeping my diabetes well under control, which is why I lost the weight in the first place. I'm not going as hard as I did before, I lost the 100 pounds in about 5 months. I only need to lose 30 so no need to be that crazy.

We can do it!

Nice. Just started getting after it again this week. I swear to god, when i turned 39 somebody slipped a 20 lb weight in my back pocket. 30's my goal also.

I’m kinda on the same path, got back into the bar scene last year. Spent too much time at these places. I’m like 90 days no bar -10 pounds, only drank 3’times? ..prolly could lose 15 to get to my college weight.

So starting this whole Keto diet thing which fits into my whole learn to cook more meals and ADULT better. Gotta stop just going out.

Otherwise .. started up golf again! Trying to find my swing again and get back to low 80s average. Hey I live in Phoenix golf year round heck yeah.

(Sidebar: this led me to dropping 2k on new crap and lessons.. not super happy about getting spendy again)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 15 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#16712 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

Just got back from a 3 day camping trip with friends. Good times.

I think I’m getting to old to sleep on the ground next to the fire. Might be time to invest in a cot/hammock or some such.

#16713 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 17 March 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

I think I’m getting to old to sleep on the ground next to the fire. Might be time to invest in a cot/hammock or some such.

Do you have a pad?

#16714 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:09 PM

Everyone's Irish today, so give them a pinch and a kiss for me. Posted Image

I've a feeling tonight's going to be a doozy.

Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked

(^ say it fast)

#16715 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

I think I'm getting to old to sleep on the ground next to the fire. Might be time to invest in a cot/hammock or some such.

Airbed?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#16716 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:35 AM

View Postamphibian, on 17 March 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

I think I'm getting to old to sleep on the ground next to the fire. Might be time to invest in a cot/hammock or some such.

Do you have a pad?

Probably what i'll try first.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 17 March 2019 - 09:54 PM, said:

Airbed?

I used to have one. But when we go camping on weekends like this when it gets below freezing at night and i have to sleep close to the fire, a plastic air mattress doesnt last long against airborne embers.

#16717 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:54 AM

Wow cots can get pricier than I imagined.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#16718 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:05 AM

View Postworry, on 18 March 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

Wow cots can get pricier than I imagined.

Its all expensive. Which is why up to this point i've slept on an old gel filled bathmat and a $25 walmart sleeping bag.

#16719 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:48 PM

Air beds (or air mattresses) are a huge pain in the ass if you have to hike in to your camping spot. Now if your setting up where you can park your car they are good I guess, but still a pain because they take so long to fill with air. They are more for the 'glamping' set.

A quality sleeping bag and a lightweight sleeping pad is the way to go.

#16720 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:51 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 March 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

Air beds (or air mattresses) are a huge pain in the ass if you have to hike in to your camping spot. Now if your setting up where you can park your car they are good I guess, but still a pain because they take so long to fill with air. They are more for the 'glamping' set.

A quality sleeping bag and a lightweight sleeping pad is the way to go.

Yeah. Plus sleeping in a position where embers from the fire fall onto you and burn you or your stuff isn't ideal, even if we did that for a few hundred thousand years.

The pads we have for camping are really light weight and the tent is less than 8 lbs too. That helps when walking stuff in and in setting up for quality snoozing later.

Share this topic:

• 969 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users