• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#15121 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

The Bugaboo's are cool, but the price seems to be up there...even for a double stroller likethat...

I'll throw out a recco:

We went with a Phil & Teds Sport Stroller. The prices are a little up there as well (though seemingly not as much as the Bugaboos), but as an investment they are durable as hell (the wheels are like dirt bike wheels!). Everyone else's strollers will look weak and ratty compared to a Phil & Teds. They are endlessly customizable, and I'm fairly sure you can do twins in them with a single file customization, but check the site to be sure.

We paid $700 Canadian for ours, and at first I almost choked at the price (before finding out that price is Middle of the Range)...but it's been utterly amazing, and it's going to do us well even after we have a second kid. The red "stop" bar is ingenious, and it's a smooth ride for our little one.

Oh, and while I'm at it. Get yourself a Mommy Hook or two. They make holding shopping bags a breeze (oh, and we use them to hold grocery baskets while we shop so you don't have to push and hold the basket). WELL worth having at least one (we have two).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15122 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostMessremb, on 28 June 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

We've done most of the streets in the village with a view to buggy travel and most are rough going even on a single width one. There's a few local shops that are pretty much no-go with a single too (I'm becoming a firm advocate of parents having every right to fit a cattle grill with spikes to pushchairs, lining up and taking up full ramming speed in order to progress down shop aisles.) Plus we'd ideally get one that'll last them years and years so no need for another in the future so it'd need to be sturdy.

Given that, having them in-line we'd thought that one having a view of the butt-end of the other carrier was a little boring not to mention we'd need to rotate them between the two mounting points. With a twin-carrier at least we could have them both face us/face the world depending on what stage they're at. We've had our eye caught by the Bugaboo Donkey Twin (who names these things?) but we keep getting to the price tag and wincing. I say it's an investment, I've yet to fully convince Mrs Messremb. That one closes down to a single width too so we could do one on board and the other in a harness and swap to a double depending on what is going on.

I also need to get trying on baby harnesses with some sort of doll, I totally want a chest-mounted baby (with some sort of shielding to prevent them kicking you in the nethers...) gurgling at me to go out with.

One of the people I was at school with has just had twins and Mrs M's best mate from uni has too so once we go facebook-public we'll be making lots of enquiries, not to mention joining all the local TAMBA groups that we can't yet as it'll show up in non-family peoples feeds... just need to get a post written as fb'll be the final letting people know. There may be 11½ and 12 week scans to accompany it (weren't quite old enough the first time) and if it goes much longer the 16 and 20 week ones! Did I mention we get scans every 4 weeks, then every 2? Also not had to pay for a single image so far.

@QT yeah the mates kid we saw doing it is 10 months or so and is most impressive asking for milk, drinking said milk then napping. If they can do that sort of thing then you're not guessing if it's milk/nappy/sleep/whatever else that they want which must make it SO much easier.

Does anyone use reusable nappies? Babaandboo is the only one I looked at so far (because the mum of the signer liked it) and it's something we'd really like to use.

We used an Uppa kind of like this one for doubles. http://www.pokkadots...HU54aAvVL8P8HAQ

Only ours was for one at a time. The uppa is very much like the babaandboo I believe. It was pricy but well worth it for the first 15 months. My one reminder is that for the first 3 months at least if you drive you are going to have the kids in a car seat (at least we do here in the states). It greatly helps if you can get a stroller that you can click the car seats into. That way you don't have to bother with taking them out of the car seat. Just unclick and then click into the stroller and go. Most mid to high end strollers have conversion kits for most types of car seats. Another option is to look at refurbished or used strollers. You can usually get a slightly older model (of a top name brand) stroller that will do everything that you need it to with out breaking the bank.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#15123 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

View PostVengeance, on 28 June 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

My one reminder is that for the first 3 months at least if you drive you are going to have the kids in a car seat (at least we do here in the states). It greatly helps if you can get a stroller that you can click the car seats into. That way you don't have to bother with taking them out of the car seat. Just unclick and then click into the stroller and go. Most mid to high end strollers have conversion kits for most types of car seats.

^^This 100%.

Also, do the research to figure out which car seat will fit with which stroller, and if you need an adaptor piece, or not. Most of the major car seat brands are designed to click into (or be adapted into) a stroller.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15124 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

Mess - check out your local NCT branch. They have sling libraries where you can go and try out various slings for free before you pick one to buy. I suspect you will get reusable nappy pointers from NCT too. You might have to join NCT for a while but it's not expensive and if you want to do their antenatal classes then it's all good anyway.

Also find your local children's centre's run by the local authority. They might have sling libraries too but depends how much cash your local authority has. Ours in Hertfordshire is rolling in it so we have facilities for everything. My family up north have nothing like it. I follow mine on FB for when they're running various things as they don't have a decent website so you might have to wait until it's public news.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#15125 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

tickets to see ZZ top in July.

hopefully taking my dad, he loves their older stuff, not sure if hes heard their last album, La Futura, but i can't see him not liking it either

#15126 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

View PostMacros, on 28 June 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

tickets to see ZZ top in July.

hopefully taking my dad, he loves their older stuff, not sure if hes heard their last album, La Futura, but i can't see him not liking it either

Jealous!

Sorting out a weekend in south Wales with my friend in her camper van for the August bank holiday. We're off to see the red kite feeding station at Ghigrin, doing some fossil hunting, and then staying at Cardigan Bay so we're both going to try surfing for the first time and go watch the dolphins.

Feels really good to be getting out and, well, living, after all the wasted time of the last few years.
- Wyrd biš ful aręd -

#15127 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

They're playing Manchester soon too RT, check ticketmaster

#15128 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

The ZZ Top guys love when you yank their beards.

When you say fossil hunting, is this like an organized thing or do you just happen to have a line on where to find fossils?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15129 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

My in-laws dog got through to Crufts today. Guess I'd better book some time off of work...
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#15130 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Post pics!

#15131 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:49 AM

View Postworry, on 29 June 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

The ZZ Top guys love when you yank their beards.

When you say fossil hunting, is this like an organized thing or do you just happen to have a line on where to find fossils?

I don't, but my friend via UK Fossils does! :)

https://ukfossils.co...nfawr-quarries/
- Wyrd biš ful aręd -

#15132 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

Got out of the office 2 hours early. Finished last-minute shopping (mostly beer), and ready for the long weekend at the beach. Life is gooood
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#15133 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:06 AM

Got out of the office 2 hours early. Finished last-minute shopping (mostly beer), and ready for the long weekend at the beach. Life is gooood
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#15134 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

Playing the Original Mass Effect, must say the graphics aren“t that bad. Quite enjoying the game.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#15135 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

My mother's operation went well. Some swelling and soreness, but otherwise she is fine, if a bit grumpy.

#15136 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

Glad to hear Ando :)

#15137 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

For those who haven't already seen me jumping about like a basket full of frogs on Facebook about her, this is what that little ball of fluff kestrel looks like now:

Posted Image

She did her first bit of introductory work on the lure today - so just accustoming her to the idea that the lure is essentially something she associates with food. She's very imprinted to people from her week with me - apparently this means I did a really great job! - but she still hit the lure first time like a bullet, and proceeded to do so over and over again seemingly just to prove she's a genuine badass and it wasn't just a fluke.

TRB, hopelessly in love :)
- Wyrd biš ful aręd -

#15138 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 01 July 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

For those who haven't already seen me jumping about like a basket full of frogs on Facebook about her, this is what that little ball of fluff kestrel looks like now:

Posted Image

She did her first bit of introductory work on the lure today - so just accustoming her to the idea that the lure is essentially something she associates with food. She's very imprinted to people from her week with me - apparently this means I did a really great job! - but she still hit the lure first time like a bullet, and proceeded to do so over and over again seemingly just to prove she's a genuine badass and it wasn't just a fluke.

TRB, hopelessly in love :)

Cool pic too! I wish her eye was directly overlying your left eye - if she was up an inch you'd have an amazing shared-face image!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#15139 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

https://www.merriam-...t-serious-quiz#

#15140 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 July 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 01 July 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

My mother's operation went well. Some swelling and soreness, but otherwise she is fine, if a bit grumpy.

Good. Got the Dental vs Medical sorted out?

That is still being processed. Basically we paid out of pocket for this, but it was not as expensive as we had feared.

Currently word has gone around that the doctor has told my mother to eat ice cream and now everyone is turning up with bricks of it!

Share this topic:

• 973 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

35 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users