• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#19261 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:58 AM

That's great to hear Maark. Enjoy that breathing room!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#19262 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:49 AM

Thanks ^^ We're celebrating a little by going out tomorrow to get lunch and have a potter around town. Wife got herself some tickets for a concert in October and I'm looking to go to a convention in Birmingham in August. Should be good times ahead now!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#19263 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 March 2024 - 02:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 February 2024 - 05:29 PM, said:

Azath, can you please create your own thread and just post whatever quotecrap salad you feel like sharing there and not anywhere else?

Well, you're the moderator, so I'd suppose I have to do what you say or get banned.

If the primary issue is that lengthy quotations make it difficult to see shorter posts, it seems like spoiler tags for excessively long quotations would be sufficient. Perhaps for any quotation beyond the equivalent of a paragraph of reasonable length, or some other length limit if you think that's too much (max line number and max word count, for example). It's suboptimal, since the main point of providing the most relevant or interesting seeming quotations, minus filler, is to help save you the time it would take to read all of a lengthy article, and clicking 'spoiler' takes extra time. But my quotations are usually related to a specific topic or ongoing discussion, so while I could move the quotations to a separate thread and link to them within my posts in other threads, having to go from that thread back to the original thread would take even more time.

I'm perplexed that you seem to think my quotations are 'crap'. You seem well-informed enough to understand that the sources I'm quoting are generally either well-established media or legitimate experts. Perhaps my tendency to elide credentials (which are easily found in the links using your browser's search function) has led you to assume otherwise. Or perhaps you mean you don't find them interesting. Or perhaps 'crap' is referring to the arrangement; perhaps you find the removal of the connective filler, unnecessary details, etc. and the jumps from point to point frustrating to read.

However, I'm getting the impression that you really just want me to stop posting altogether, but you're reluctant to ban me outright without a warning.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 March 2024 - 02:29 PM

#19264 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 March 2024 - 03:16 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 01 March 2024 - 02:29 PM, said:

Azath, can you please create your own thread and just post whatever quotecrap salad you feel like sharing there and not anywhere else?

Well, you're the moderator, so I'd suppose I have to do what you say or get banned.....

Skip the victim game, i'm not playing. If i was waving the modgod stick you would know it. This is not the first time i have mentioned it to you either, and i didn't play the mod-card then either.

I dislike your entire approach of dropping large quotes into threads, with minimal or no constructive comment, and unclear what is quote or comment. You have something useful to say, say it. You have a link you think is relevant, post it. The rest is, in my opinion, clutter. I do not think you should leave, i am not threatening you with a ban, i do think that you should create your own thread, where anyone who is interested in your clutter can see it and the rest of the forum is spared.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#19265 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 March 2024 - 03:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 March 2024 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 01 March 2024 - 02:29 PM, said:

Well, you're the moderator, so I'd suppose I have to do what you say or get banned.....

Skip the victim game, i'm not playing. If i was waving the modgod stick you would know it. This is not the first time i have mentioned it to you either, and i didn't play the mod-card then either.

I dislike your entire approach of dropping large quotes into threads, with minimal or no constructive comment, and unclear what is quote or comment. You have something useful to say, say it. You have a link you think is relevant, post it. The rest is, in my opinion, clutter. I do not think you should leave, i am not threatening you with a ban, i do think that you should create your own thread, where anyone who is interested in your clutter can see it and the rest of the forum is spared.

I've been putting all quotes except extremely short ones in

quotation brackets

for months now, as suggested, and (with the exception of quotes from other forum members) including a link at the end of each quotation (even when quoting multiple times from the same source). Anything inside [ ] within those quotes is my edit or commentary. (For extremely short quotes, like 'blah blah', of course I've been using ' ', though I could start putting those in quotation brackets as well.) And my recent posts have all included my commentary on those quotes immediately before or after them. If there's anything else I could reasonably do to make the distinction between quotation and commentary clearer, feel free to let me know. I could put the quotes in italics as well for example.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 March 2024 - 03:56 PM

#19266 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 March 2024 - 04:59 PM

Or you could stop or cut way back the quotes. In case you haven't noticed it's not something the rest of us do often.

#19267 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:38 PM

People tend to react a lot better when you paraphrase whatever it is you are trying to quote. When you throw a number of multi-paragraph quotes one after another, it's not always clear how one set of arguments flows from another.

Anyhow, making me happy is the fact that it's Friday, and the snow is melting again.

also, topical:

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 01 March 2024 - 09:39 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#19268 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 13 March 2024 - 08:50 AM

An ally! Guitarist knows someone up the road from me and it turns out they've also seen fuckery going on here and have reported it in. We might actually get somewhere...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#19269 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 March 2024 - 02:28 AM

I will finally get to see the city of Dresden, No not Dresden but Chicago.

Any recommendations?

#19270 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 March 2024 - 02:55 AM

View PostCause, on 18 March 2024 - 02:28 AM, said:

I will finally get to see the city of Dresden, No not Dresden but Chicago.

Any recommendations?

One of my favoritest cities in the US, it's been waaaaay too long since I've been back.

If you're flying in, if workable take the train from the airport to as close to your destination as possible. Cabs are expensive, slow.

Go see Sue. She's worth it.

Three dots and a Dash tiki lounge. Take careful note of the address. When you get there, walk to the back alley behind the address and look for the doorman. Arrive early, thirsty, maybe not too hungry, it's more snacks and apps than dinner. INSANE drinks, massive rum list.

The Girl and the Goat is exceptional food. Go. Eat everything.

The Bongo Room serves some of the bestest breakfasts/lunch/brunch you will ever consume. Great neighborhood to wander in too.

Pick a Blues club w live music, go. Dont overthink it, even the less known ones will have an act worth seeing.

#19271 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 March 2024 - 01:39 AM

Ok, this took my mind off the shit in the world for a few minutes.

Watch the video at the end. :)

https://www.goodnews...were-his-flock/

-----------------------

Hopefully a trend and not a blip:

https://www.goodnews...ops-dominating/

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 24 March 2024 - 02:42 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 964 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users