• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#17361 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:33 AM

View Postamphibian, on 02 January 2020 - 09:26 PM, said:

My father grew up in the countryside of Nepal and what he says is that they are at least fifteen different kinds of rice, mostly wild rice variants, in the 1950s and 1960s. The rise of basmati as a near mono culture for him has been something he disliked. I grew up mostly in the USA, yet he made sure we had lots of dal and rice variants.

And we never ate rice plain. *Shudders*

Rice monoculture is a problem yeah. It has become a thing with the widespread use of HYV seeds. Lots of older people talk about the huge variety of rice that used to be available in the past.

And yeah, no one has just plain rice. Put dal in it! Or vegetable stew we call jhol. Or meat curry. or fish curry. Mix it all up. Rice is there to serve as a base to other stuff

#17362 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:36 AM

I like my rice to add something to the meal beyond filler and sauce-to-face transfer.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17363 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

View PostAndorion, on 03 January 2020 - 01:33 AM, said:

My father grew up in the countryside of Nepal and what he says is that they are at least fifteen different kinds of rice, mostly wild rice variants, in the 1950s and 1960s. The rise of basmati as a near mono culture for him has been something he disliked. I grew up mostly in the USA, yet he made sure we had lots of dal and rice variants.

Rice monoculture is a problem yeah. It has become a thing with the widespread use of HYV seeds. Lots of older people talk about the huge variety of rice that used to be available in the past.

And yeah, no one has just plain rice. Put dal in it! Or vegetable stew we call jhol. Or meat curry. or fish curry. Mix it all up. Rice is there to serve as a base to other stuff

Just like every other staple, rice is perfectly fine plain.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#17364 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:07 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 04 January 2020 - 09:46 PM, said:

Got eyefucked in the presence of my daughter at the store and it was quite amusing.

“Daddy! Daddy that woman is just staring at you!” I look and sure enough I’m being undressed by those eyes. I wave and get a very flirty wave and grin back. I drove off.

Cousin of yours? Sorry, couldn't resist.

She probaby just wanted a ride in your truck. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17365 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:20 AM

View PostAndorion, on 03 January 2020 - 01:33 AM, said:

I looked up one of my favorite childhood Iranian-American restaurants (Iranian cuisine being the source of what became biriyani in India). They're not only still thriving, they've opened up a second location that's close to my (surviving) elderly relatives. 'Our Basmati rice is directly imported from the bottom of the Himalayas. We prepare our rice in the same manner that our ancestors made it hundreds of years ago, through which most of the fattening starch is rinsed out. The result is an extremely light, fluffy-textured, virgin-white rice that tastes like no ordinary rice.' Granted, I renounced all refined carbohydrates almost a decade ago now, so I won't be eating the rice (or the delectable falooda with rose-water). But the sour cherries (even dried) are probably a yes, given their low glycemic load (tart cherry likewise being one of the few fruit juices that won't cause blood sugar to spike if not eaten with ample fiber)....

'sour cherries. More than any other nation, I think we love sour.'

https://www.youtube....h?v=ysYGCtGYGdc

But what was really making me happy enough to post something here---I went to the NYT Sunday Review (op eds, usually of higher quality than their regular columnists) in search of insight on the possibility of WWIII, and found a bizarre series of poetic 'editorials' about some sort of dystopian sci-fi hellscape. For a few moments I literally thought I might be inside a nightmare. Then I read: 'Novelists, poets and artists imagine life in the age of surveillance.' Lol....

https://www.nytimes....rveillance.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 January 2020 - 07:21 AM

#17366 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:13 AM

Ahhhh yisss! I just have the biggest grin on my face!

The Cheatriots lose, and so my (who've never been caught cheating btw) Steelers stay even with them for most SB wins! Suck it H8ers! That 'Tom vs Time' bullshit can GTFO! Time is undefeated jag off. Better start selling some stool softener in your TB12 method snake juice kit, cause you aint getting any younger, and you look it! And you aint gettin' another championship ring, boyeeeeee!

Also, hahahahahahaha! The Aints. Who dat? bwwhahahahahahahahahaha!

Posted Image

#17367 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:53 AM

Ricky Gervais opening speech at the Golden Globes is a great start to 2020:

https://twitter.com/...6938351617?s=20

#17368 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:24 AM

View PostAptorian, on 06 January 2020 - 04:53 AM, said:

Jonathan Pryce's face sums up my feelings on Gervais and that speech rather well.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#17369 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:58 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 06 January 2020 - 07:24 AM, said:

Jonathan Pryce's face sums up my feelings on Gervais and that speech rather well.

Not a fan I take it?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17370 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

I don't like him much but that speech is gold. He just takes them apart.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#17371 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 January 2020 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 06 January 2020 - 07:24 AM, said:

Not a fan I take it?

No, not in the least, but each to their own :)

In fairness, I didn't listen to all of it (he's got one of those voices/faces and I can't bear it for very long) so can't comment on the quality of the speech itself.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 06 January 2020 - 10:58 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#17372 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

I don't particularly like Gervais style either but these Golden Globes speeches!

#17373 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

I don't mind Gervais, although he is a bit hit and miss (loved his Animals show and the Office but never really got into his other stuff). However, saying that people shouldn't use this platform to 'preach' because they themselves are proponents of big streaming services and Holywood seems a tad simplistic. These are people with a role model function and with a big platform, so I don't care how hypocritical it may be behind the scenes, they should use it wherever possible to advocate worthwhile goals (LGBT rights, women's right, environmental rights). FFS, Gervais even used the platform himself to ask people to donate for Australia. Ever heard of irony, mr Gervais?

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 06 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#17374 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

Pretty sure he said something about keeping politics out of it, not worthwhile causes.

#17375 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:43 PM

I can't stand Gervais. He has this tendency to turn anything he's involved in into this boring, grey soup of flavourless unfunniness.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17376 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 January 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

Pretty sure he said something about keeping politics out of it, not worthwhile causes.

Ah, fair enough, I just learned about it second-hand from a newspaper article, so I probably got the wrong end of the stick.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#17377 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 January 2020 - 01:43 PM, said:

I can't stand Gervais. He has this tendency to turn anything he's involved in into this boring, grey soup of flavourless unfunniness.

He is the archetype of le enlightened atheist and is soooo edgy about it.

That said, The Office remains one of my all time favourite shows.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17378 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

A classic but very relevant on this glorious Monday morning. The lot of you will not understand, but those few of you who are watching the NFL playoffs will get it.Posted Image

#17379 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

In an amused way, but someone over in GAGME deadass told me that Rothfuss and Sanderson are objectively better writers than Erikson. Pepekek
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17380 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

Deep breaths, Christmas finally feels done and dusted. The whole run up to Christmas and my wife's Birthday on the 4th stresses me out - I'm just not happy until it's all done.

Weekend turned out well, I took her to a really nice top-end place for dinner and we stayed over. Her mum had the kids for the night, so we got a chance to relax a bit in a really nice place; great food, luxury bathroom and room, amazing breakfast. Had a long beach walk before coming home.

Kids back to school now, somewhat reluctantly but at least sort of back to normal routine this week.

Relief for now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 966 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users