• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#15101 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

I did a little math on the angle of the light source and I think I solved it with this re-creation.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15102 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:56 AM

I'm currently doing a large book purge of things that I will either never read again, or things that I've owned for years and can finally admit that I never will read. This is really liberating.

#15103 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

We're 14 weeks in on twins.

Twins.

All that planning we'd been doing based on one? Out the window. That perfect boy and girl name we'd got sorted? Gone. Both exciting and utterly terrifying.

Currently collecting ridiculously cute small items of clothing from car boot sales.

An extra bonus is that we won't need to convert the library back into a bedroom as our plan was for two eventually, because they can share the big spare room for a few years at least...
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#15104 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostMessremb, on 26 June 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

Twins.

All that planning we'd been doing based on one? Out the window. That perfect boy and girl name we'd got sorted? Gone. Both exciting and utterly terrifying.

Currently collecting ridiculously cute small items of clothing from car boot sales.

An extra bonus is that we won't need to convert the library back into a bedroom as our plan was for two eventually, because they can share the big spare room for a few years at least...

Congratulations! That does indeed sound exciting and utterly terrifying. :(

This post has been edited by LadyMTL: 26 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#15105 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Twins.

On the plus side since these are your first kids you won't know any different. You will always have 2 car seats and two sets of everything. It will be awesome. Hectic and crazy. You will think back and realize that you never should have complained about being busy or tired ever before. But still awesome...

Also

Muhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahah :(
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#15106 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

@Messremb

Firstly congrats and ... you may want to consider reviewing your autosignature. Especially the second sentence. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#15107 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

Gratz, Mess! All the best in this new chapter of your lives.

My horrendous knee scrape is finally all healed. Meaning after a 2 week hiatus, I can hit the pool again tonight. Hopefully, this will prove beneficial to my sprained wrist, which is refusing to improve (ofc, not like me picking up and lugging around 50lb bags of joining sand is helping with that, :( )

Also, the liquor stores did not go on strike! Next 2 weekends are shaping up to be epic.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 26 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#15108 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostMentalist, on 26 June 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

Also, the liquor stores did not go on strike! Next 2 weekends are shaping up to be epic.

I like that the Union leader purposely mentioned to the press that the LCBO were leaving a tabled agreement on the table for another few days just to drive up bloody sales of worried people who thought the strike was more looming than it was...showing the LCBO as the dicks they were intentionally being about it to all of us who rushed out to stock up.

But yeah, it's good to know that they won't be closed for Canada Day Weekend...especially since it's the 150th Anniversary this year!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15109 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

My horrendous knee scrape is finally all healed. Meaning after a 2 week hiatus, I can hit the pool again tonight. Hopefully, this will prove beneficial to my sprained wrist, which is refusing to improve (ofc, not like me picking up and lugging around 50lb bags of joining sand is helping with that, :( )

Just a thought Ment, but maybe you shouldn't do that?

#15110 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Attended an "old neighborhood" reunion this past weekend. Saw some teenage pals I haven't seen in 40+ years.

I went there armed with a handful of hilarious stories of "the good old days" to tell, and heard a bunch of hilarious stories that had completely slipped my mind.

I'm not doing as well as many of them (outwardly appear) to be doing, but (having served as designated driver for more than a few of them by the end of the evening) at least I'm not a drunken maniac any more. :(
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#15111 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostAndorion, on 26 June 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

My horrendous knee scrape is finally all healed. Meaning after a 2 week hiatus, I can hit the pool again tonight. Hopefully, this will prove beneficial to my sprained wrist, which is refusing to improve (ofc, not like me picking up and lugging around 50lb bags of joining sand is helping with that, :D )

Not much choice. My dad was re-doing the patio, and I had to go pick up more material with my mom. Couldn't refuse to do that without letting her know smth was wrong. I've gone past the reasonable time frame of letting her know about this (it's gonna be 2 weeks since the injury tomorrow), so now I gotta keep hiding it.

On thew bright side, it was only 2 bags this time. Last weekend I had to carry the stones from our driveway to the back-yard. That was much more strenuous.

@ QT: yeah, me, my parents and a few friends all flocked to the LCBO on Sat "just in case"... I'm gonna be out of town for the next 3 weekends (cottage @ Crystal Beach for Canada day, and then 2 camping trips), so not having a working liquor store would've been devastating, :(

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 26 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

#15112 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostMentalist, on 26 June 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 26 June 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

Not much choice. My dad was re-doing the patio, and I had to go pick up more material with my mom. Couldn't refuse to do that without letting her know smth was wrong. I've gone past the reasonable time frame of letting her know about this (it's gonna be 2 weeks since the injury tomorrow), so now I gotta keep hiding it.

On thew bright side, it was only 2 bags this time. Last weekend I had to carry the stones from our driveway to the back-yard. That was much more strenuous.

Oh! What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!
- Sir Walter Scott

Take care,

#15113 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

Indeed.

#15114 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

Twins.

Ho. Ly. Fuck!

Congrats. It's great. And awful. But they're adorable enough to make up for the awful bits. Mine said his first unprompted word today. Bubble :(
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#15115 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:08 PM

Jeeeeeeezus Mess. Thats awesome and i sympathize all rolled into one big happy, cute, screaming double at 3am package.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#15116 User is offline   Messremb 

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:38 PM

Thanks all :(

Looks like we're going to be using the conservatory doors to get in and out the house now as there's no way a double pram will fit through the front door, practicalities are becoming daunting!

Mez, did you do any of the baby sign language stuff? Some friends of ours have and their daughter can tell them she wants a drink etc and she's a long way off speaking. Of course her grandparents don't believe it is a thing so causes some distress when she's quite clearly signing milk at them... It's something we're going to get into I think. Bubbles as a first unprompted word? Got some class there asking for a magnum!

As Nom pointed out I suppose it's only right that a Soletaken breeds D'ivers... (although they're almost certainly fraternal unless it was a *very* early split)
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#15117 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

View PostMessremb, on 27 June 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Thanks all :(

Looks like we're going to be using the conservatory doors to get in and out the house now as there's no way a double pram will fit through the front door, practicalities are becoming daunting!

Mez, did you do any of the baby sign language stuff? Some friends of ours have and their daughter can tell them she wants a drink etc and she's a long way off speaking. Of course her grandparents don't believe it is a thing so causes some distress when she's quite clearly signing milk at them... It's something we're going to get into I think.

My sis-in-law has infant twins, and they have a single file double stroller (instead of the typical side-by side), and it fits through most doorways...just longer. It makes life SO much easier than the double wide ones do. I HIGHLY recommend you get one of those if you can.

Also, we do sign language with our little one, and she's...kind of getting it. We do the sign for "all done" when she's eating, and she kind of does a dual dance hand motion...we know she means she's done, but how she didn't get the actual sign from us doing it all the time is baffling. We haven't gotten her onto "more" or "hungry" yet, but the signs are al pretty easy to convey.

And my 3-year old niece (older sister to the aforementioned twins) picked up the signing QUICK and was easily able to tell you if she was done, wanted more, ect. by like month 9 or 10. So it TOTALLY works, but depends on the child I think.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15118 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

My friend's daughter was getting her shots and did the sign for "all done" -- in the sense of like "please stop" -- and it's the most sad/adorable combo story.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15119 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

We haven't done sign language. I asked friends and a couple swear by it but the rest said it was a waste of time if you can't be consistent. I couldn't consistently keep my shit together never mind learn bloody sign language!

Double strollers - I second single file ones. My neighbour was saying she couldn't go a certain way into our town as the path was too narrow in some places. You don't notice these things!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#15120 User is offline   Messremb 

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

We've done most of the streets in the village with a view to buggy travel and most are rough going even on a single width one. There's a few local shops that are pretty much no-go with a single too (I'm becoming a firm advocate of parents having every right to fit a cattle grill with spikes to pushchairs, lining up and taking up full ramming speed in order to progress down shop aisles.) Plus we'd ideally get one that'll last them years and years so no need for another in the future so it'd need to be sturdy.

Given that, having them in-line we'd thought that one having a view of the butt-end of the other carrier was a little boring not to mention we'd need to rotate them between the two mounting points. With a twin-carrier at least we could have them both face us/face the world depending on what stage they're at. We've had our eye caught by the Bugaboo Donkey Twin (who names these things?) but we keep getting to the price tag and wincing. I say it's an investment, I've yet to fully convince Mrs Messremb. That one closes down to a single width too so we could do one on board and the other in a harness and swap to a double depending on what is going on.

I also need to get trying on baby harnesses with some sort of doll, I totally want a chest-mounted baby (with some sort of shielding to prevent them kicking you in the nethers...) gurgling at me to go out with.

One of the people I was at school with has just had twins and Mrs M's best mate from uni has too so once we go facebook-public we'll be making lots of enquiries, not to mention joining all the local TAMBA groups that we can't yet as it'll show up in non-family peoples feeds... just need to get a post written as fb'll be the final letting people know. There may be 11½ and 12 week scans to accompany it (weren't quite old enough the first time) and if it goes much longer the 16 and 20 week ones! Did I mention we get scans every 4 weeks, then every 2? Also not had to pay for a single image so far.

@QT yeah the mates kid we saw doing it is 10 months or so and is most impressive asking for milk, drinking said milk then napping. If they can do that sort of thing then you're not guessing if it's milk/nappy/sleep/whatever else that they want which must make it SO much easier.

Does anyone use reusable nappies? Babaandboo is the only one I looked at so far (because the mum of the signer liked it) and it's something we'd really like to use.

Share this topic:

• 973 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

36 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users