Whats making you happy right now

#13441 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

View PostAndorion, on 11 May 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 May 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

View PostPuck, on 10 May 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

Eurovision. Decided to go the whole route this year with watching both semifinals and finals and gossip and stuff (usually I'd forget and only realize it's on when the finals are on TV). It's damn entertaining :D

Sadly I'm missing it this year due to friends rather selfishly having their wedding on the same day...

Dammit Martial scored two goals! And still a loss! This bloody bloody season

I think you posted this in the wrong thread but yeah, bummer. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13442 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

I'm having a bad day so I shared the mood... I pissed on and pissed off 6 of 7 staff members. The 7th had today off.

:D
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#13443 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

Sharing is caring.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13444 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:32 AM

View Postworry, on 11 May 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

Sharing is caring.

Yes, yes it is.

Glad to see the old name back. :D
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#13445 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

Yeah reading SE again just drew me back to the straightforward and sincere.

#13446 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

Completed a big gardening job that has been bugging me for over a year. Sooooooo good to be functional again and using time normally set aside for work to do stuff I really want to :D

Veg patch next. I'm wondering what the neighbours think having not seen me in the garden for 8 months and now I'm massively pregnant and out there digging and hauling stuff.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 12 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#13447 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

They say every time a person starts a vegetable garden, a turnip gets its wings.

#13448 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

Home I flipped is Sale Pending.

Purchase Date to Sale Pending in 6 weeks. Boomshakalaka!

Already working on the next one.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#13449 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

Georgia made it to the Eurovision 2016 finals! YIIISSSSSSS! :D

..Belarus, on the other hand, didn't.. Oh well, can't have it all.

Edit: Someone name me all the pretty boy Tiste Liosan we get in the books. I'm itching to use Belarus' singer as a model for Liosan fanart, but L'oric and teenage Osserc are right out. Egwene, where art thou when I need you?!

This post has been edited by Puck: 12 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#13450 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:09 AM

View PostLoki, on 11 May 2016 - 04:13 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 10 May 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

@Loki: If you don't mind one more question, what is reading (fiction, non-fiction, the board, whatever) like for you?

I've been trying to figure out how to answer this for hours. Posted Image It's definitely easier for me to read something than to write or describe something.

The first time I read a fiction book it involves a lot of individual construction. I have to compartmentalise individual aspects (individual characters, environments, individual aspects of an environment, etc) and construct them all individually before combining them together to form the scene. So the first time a character is introduced I have to remove them from the rest of the scene and then develop them as I learn more about them until they retrospectively get put back (this isn't making much sense Posted Image ). I then use that initial construct in all further interactions occasionally updating as necessary. The less descriptive words and the less emotion based words an author uses the easier it for me to read (in fact, there is a point where I just can't read a book if it has too many feeling or descriptive words). It's why I love Erikson. He writes pragmatically which makes it easier for me. But that said, my constructs aren't always correct because there are fundamental connections I make differently. For instance, I usually don't know what colour a characters skin is unless it's been described using racial terms ie African American or the word to describe the colour of their skin isn't a colour that is associated with concepts. For instance, I only realised that Quick Ben had black skin when I saw the artwork for the Subpress GotM. Shiara had to explain to me that the picture was correct. I had constructed him as black but not as black skinned - his essence was black but I never made the connection of 'dark' and 'black' to be literal. Black almost never translates as a colour. So, as I read an every forming, changing image is created but probably not like you would make. When you think of Quick Ben you might imagine a man. What I see is black swirls against a black background and several swirling pools of ash. That's Quick Ben. Do you know how the eqyptians would enclose names in a circle? When I imagine Quick Ben in relation to other things or in a certain place I do that. (I have attached a terrible paint rendition of Quick Ben standing next to a tree). However, I can take my Quick Ben and translate him into a more recognisable human form but I do that by finding a similar already existing character in a movie and then say 'Quick Ben looks like them, sorta' but it's again based on not their appearance but their presence. In fact, I very rarely associate anything by appearance or looks. It's always based on presence which is why I sometimes say two people look alike and then Matador will point out that one is an asian male with black hair and the other is a white woman with blonde hair. :D

The more times I read a book the easier it is. I tend to find rereads more enjoyable because there is less mental exhaustion involved. It's very common for me to have to read out a sentence to Matador that just makes no sense to me whatsoever. They usual have to do with abstract concepts or an expectation on the part of the author that what they are referring to is a universal truth that is understood by everyone. I also fail very badly at recognising and/or understanding double entendres, euphemisms, etc. I also hate subtext with a passion.

Non-fiction depends on the subject. If it is just factual and 'a + b = c' then I imagine it's the same as most people (it just auto translate into thoughts). But if it also discusses the philosophical aspects or involves social narrative etc then it becomes more difficult.

I really like reading but I don't read a lot because there aren't many authors who write in a way that works well for me. But when I do find one I stick to them. Poetry is usually a nightmare for me but Poe, Tennyson, and Banjo Patterson manage to make sense to me and the abstract things they refer to, they do it in a way that matches my own thinking (at least far more than other writers), so I absolutely love reading them. Lovecraft (which I only read recently) also has a brilliant way of describing the unnameable that is actually easy for me to connect with too. In fact, most of the stories I enjoy or have an easier time of reading are from older writers, like Verne, because they were more of a scientific mind than an artistic one, if you know what I mean.

I think the reason I enjoy comics so much is that most of the story is told in pictures.

I don't know if that really gives you an idea or not. Posted Image

@Loki

Have you ever experimented with artistry? does this make you more artistic in different formats?
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#13451 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:36 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 13 May 2016 - 01:09 AM, said:

View PostLoki, on 11 May 2016 - 04:13 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 10 May 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

@Loki: If you don't mind one more question, what is reading (fiction, non-fiction, the board, whatever) like for you?

I've been trying to figure out how to answer this for hours. Posted Image It's definitely easier for me to read something than to write or describe something.

The first time I read a fiction book it involves a lot of individual construction. I have to compartmentalise individual aspects (individual characters, environments, individual aspects of an environment, etc) and construct them all individually before combining them together to form the scene. So the first time a character is introduced I have to remove them from the rest of the scene and then develop them as I learn more about them until they retrospectively get put back (this isn't making much sense Posted Image ). I then use that initial construct in all further interactions occasionally updating as necessary. The less descriptive words and the less emotion based words an author uses the easier it for me to read (in fact, there is a point where I just can't read a book if it has too many feeling or descriptive words). It's why I love Erikson. He writes pragmatically which makes it easier for me. But that said, my constructs aren't always correct because there are fundamental connections I make differently. For instance, I usually don't know what colour a characters skin is unless it's been described using racial terms ie African American or the word to describe the colour of their skin isn't a colour that is associated with concepts. For instance, I only realised that Quick Ben had black skin when I saw the artwork for the Subpress GotM. Shiara had to explain to me that the picture was correct. I had constructed him as black but not as black skinned - his essence was black but I never made the connection of 'dark' and 'black' to be literal. Black almost never translates as a colour. So, as I read an every forming, changing image is created but probably not like you would make. When you think of Quick Ben you might imagine a man. What I see is black swirls against a black background and several swirling pools of ash. That's Quick Ben. Do you know how the eqyptians would enclose names in a circle? When I imagine Quick Ben in relation to other things or in a certain place I do that. (I have attached a terrible paint rendition of Quick Ben standing next to a tree). However, I can take my Quick Ben and translate him into a more recognisable human form but I do that by finding a similar already existing character in a movie and then say 'Quick Ben looks like them, sorta' but it's again based on not their appearance but their presence. In fact, I very rarely associate anything by appearance or looks. It's always based on presence which is why I sometimes say two people look alike and then Matador will point out that one is an asian male with black hair and the other is a white woman with blonde hair. :D

The more times I read a book the easier it is. I tend to find rereads more enjoyable because there is less mental exhaustion involved. It's very common for me to have to read out a sentence to Matador that just makes no sense to me whatsoever. They usual have to do with abstract concepts or an expectation on the part of the author that what they are referring to is a universal truth that is understood by everyone. I also fail very badly at recognising and/or understanding double entendres, euphemisms, etc. I also hate subtext with a passion.

Non-fiction depends on the subject. If it is just factual and 'a + b = c' then I imagine it's the same as most people (it just auto translate into thoughts). But if it also discusses the philosophical aspects or involves social narrative etc then it becomes more difficult.

I really like reading but I don't read a lot because there aren't many authors who write in a way that works well for me. But when I do find one I stick to them. Poetry is usually a nightmare for me but Poe, Tennyson, and Banjo Patterson manage to make sense to me and the abstract things they refer to, they do it in a way that matches my own thinking (at least far more than other writers), so I absolutely love reading them. Lovecraft (which I only read recently) also has a brilliant way of describing the unnameable that is actually easy for me to connect with too. In fact, most of the stories I enjoy or have an easier time of reading are from older writers, like Verne, because they were more of a scientific mind than an artistic one, if you know what I mean.

I think the reason I enjoy comics so much is that most of the story is told in pictures.

I don't know if that really gives you an idea or not. Posted Image

@Loki

Have you ever experimented with artistry? does this make you more artistic in different formats?

I am the least artistic person I know. Even my stick figure-men are terrible. In fact, I didn't have to do art at all in high school after I had an argument with my grade 8 arts teacher. We had to draw a vase with flowers. We weren't allowed to have a picture or an actual vase in the room. It had to be done from memory. It hurt my head so badly that in the end I just drew (not that well) what I saw in my head when I thought of a vase with flowers (it didn't much look like a vase with flowers). She told me I wasn't trying hard enough and that 'anyone can be an artist if they just try' and blah blah. I told her that I *had* painted a vase with flowers and that if anything, she was repressing my artistic nature by trying to force me to see things how she wanted me to see them. That was the last art class I ever did. Posted Image

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#13452 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:58 PM

Just waiting for an email back with details, but I'm joining the Towton Battlefield Society! I am a huge Wars of the Roses nerd, and was so excited when we moved in that the Towton battlefield was just up the road. We went on one of the society's battlefield walks earlier in the year and the guide was really into the idea of me joining when we talked, but their meetings clash with my Monday horse riding class. Now we've changed teacher with no explanation (new one's nice, but still, it'd be nice to have the courtesy of an explanation) I'm feeling a little less concerned about missing them semi-regularly.

History nerd, engage! :D

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 13 May 2016 - 05:58 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#13453 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 May 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Just waiting for an email back with details, but I'm joining the Towton Battlefield Society! I am a huge Wars of the Roses nerd, and was so excited when we moved in that the Towton battlefield was just up the road. We went on one of the society's battlefield walks earlier in the year and the guide was really into the idea of me joining when we talked, but their meetings clash with my Monday horse riding class. Now we've changed teacher with no explanation (new one's nice, but still, it'd be nice to have the courtesy of an explanation) I'm feeling a little less concerned about missing them semi-regularly.

I think the most important question now is are you a Yorkist or a Lancastrian?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13454 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 May 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

Given I'm a Yorkshire girl and Towton was a Yorkist victory.... well, certainly not Lancastrian! :D

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 13 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#13455 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 May 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Given I'm a Yorkshire girl and Towton was a Yorkist victory.... well, certainly not Lancastrian! :D

Filthy white rose!

#13456 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 May 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

Filthy white rose!

Fighting talk!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#13457 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:34 AM

Home is whole again. Boys came back.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#13458 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

Mr PigDog is making Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake. Oh my!

#13459 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

Slept almost till noon today. I needed that, as I felt I was starting to get sick yest.

Still have an easy-ish 2 weeks at work coming up, before the nightmare that June's shaping up to be.

Got a practice outdoor game tomorrow morning, which means my Sunday evening won't be spent on soccer, either. Things are looking up after a pretty slow and not particularly good week.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#13460 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:29 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 May 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

The ONLY correct answer!

Scummy Lancs losers...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 972 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic