• You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#13101 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

Dancer's Lament is making me happy.

Just a chapter in yet, but I'm already enjoying myself.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#13102 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 February 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

The author said she's turning 30. Aka, she's a 90s kid, not a millenial.

I'm her age (actually, no: a year younger), I'd be insulted if someone called me a "millennial".

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 25 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#13103 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

View PostMentalist, on 25 February 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

I'm her age (actually, no: a year younger), I'd be insulted if someone called me a "millennial".

Technically, Millenial definition is usually "born after 1982" Thus, she's a Millenial, and so are you?

:p

Millenial just seems to denote people who reached adulthood around the turn of the century/millenia

For myself, I missed that window by about 5 years and therefore I am a tail end Gen-Xer instead.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13104 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:45 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 February 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Technically, Millenial definition is usually "born after 1982" Thus, she's a Millenial, and so are you?

Millenial just seems to denote people who reached adulthood around the turn of the century/millenia

For myself, I missed that window by about 5 years and therefore I am a tail end Gen-Xer instead.

My (probably skewed) perception of the Millenials is those who grew up post-Y2k. They tend to take technology for granted (and lots of other things besides)

80s and 90s kids actually got to see the evolution of high-tech and the explosion of the Information Age, catching the tail-end of the values of a "slower-paced" era.

I was growing up in the 90s on the other side of the Iron curtain (which meant we got culture influences from the West with 2-5 year delay). I came to the West @ 12, at the end of 1999. By then I've formed a lot of fundamental opinions about the world.

#13105 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:58 AM

View PostMentalist, on 26 February 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 February 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

My (probably skewed) perception of the Millenials is those who grew up post-Y2k. They tend to take technology for granted (and lots of other things besides)

80s and 90s kids actually got to see the evolution of high-tech and the explosion of the Information Age, catching the tail-end of the values of a "slower-paced" era.

I was growing up in the 90s on the other side of the Iron curtain (which meant we got culture influences from the West with 2-5 year delay). I came to the West @ 12, at the end of 1999. By then I've formed a lot of fundamental opinions about the world.

This terminology has always confused me. Born in 1989, never been to the West, but heavily influenced by the West. Am I a millennial? Also I don't take things for granted, except waterlogging. You can always count on waterlogging

#13106 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:08 AM

Look, if you liked Ren & Stimpy most you're Gen-X. If you liked Rugrats most, you're a Millennial. If you liked Doug most, you're a 21 Jump Street style narc in your 50s.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13107 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

View PostDumbledude, on 26 February 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

Look, if you liked Ren & Stimpy most you're Gen-X. If you liked Rugrats most, you're a Millennial. If you liked Doug most, you're a 21 Jump Street style narc in your 50s.

What is Doug?

#13108 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:32 AM

Definitely something a narc would ask.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13109 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:53 AM

View PostDumbledude, on 26 February 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

I liked the original Transformers and Voltron

they started broadcasting back home "Rugrats" when I was... 10? so didn't watch that much.

#13110 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:19 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 February 2016 - 05:13 AM, said:

I preferred Go Bots! I still have some of those toys and TMNT figures up in attic.

Did anybody watch a show called Super Human Samurai Cyber Squad? It was about this group of friends, and they entered the internet by playing a guitar where they turned into giant robots to fight computer viruses that looked like Godzilla. Fight as in literally fight, with lasers and swords and stuff.

The concept sounds so insane now, but 6 year old me thought it was so cool

#13111 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:10 AM

Got a release date. Am excite. Stay tuned.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#13112 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

TIL that science has made people see through their skin.
their fucking skin.
the augments we see in books like Blindsight/Revelation Space may not be that far away.

TVSS
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#13113 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostAndorion, on 26 February 2016 - 05:19 AM, said:

I preferred Go Bots! I still have some of those toys and TMNT figures up in attic.

Did anybody watch a show called Super Human Samurai Cyber Squad? It was about this group of friends, and they entered the internet by playing a guitar where they turned into giant robots to fight computer viruses that looked like Godzilla. Fight as in literally fight, with lasers and swords and stuff.

Erm no. I was 10 when the www was invented so cyber stuff most certainly did not feature in my childhood viewing. Thundercats was the pinnacle of childrens entertainment in my book.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#13114 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 26 February 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

their fucking skin.
the augments we see in books like Blindsight/Revelation Space may not be that far away.

TVSS

Well and good, Jensen, but there's trouble over at one of our factories and I need you to go check it out.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#13115 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

Friday. Works out. Best moment of the week or is that waking up on Saturday morning.....?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#13116 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

Two tickets for Springsteen bought for myself and Dad! Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#13117 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 26 February 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Erm no. I was 10 when the www was invented so cyber stuff most certainly did not feature in my childhood viewing. Thundercats was the pinnacle of childrens entertainment in my book.

I think a lot of the "Gen whatever" and "millenial" type distinctions are pretty arbitrary these days, and are often Western-/American-centric as it doesn't take into account that some countries (even Western ones) were not exactly at the same rate of adoption of technology as the frontrunners.

Case in point, in NZ even though I was born in the early 90s, I didn't have internet at home until after I was 10, or a mobile phone until I could buy one myself. That isn't true of every 90s NZ kid, of course. But what is true of NZ 90s kids is that Transformers was still on TV, as were things like the Mighty Ducks and Go Bots, and so on.

People just like to draw lines in the sand, and it's really not that practical. What's even less practical, is typecasting people based on when they were born. Doing it by generation perhaps has slightly more merit due to, you know, actual cultural factors, but it's still almost as silly as doing it by birth month or star sign. When you start doing it across countries like the world all moved at the same pace at the points is just...ugh.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#13118 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

• "But it's turtles all the way down"
  • Interests:Archery, cycling, science, & philosophy.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 26 February 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

their fucking skin.

TVSS

Yeah, it's amazing, it truly is.

It makes you wonder where the possibilities end and what we are willing to do.

For now, we're mainly tweaking the input side of things; we are basically hacking the sensory system to do something it doesn't normally do, in this case routing visual information through the tactile system by using a device that "converts" visual information to tactile information. However, on the perceptual side of things, we're stuck with what we've got for now. I wonder if we'll ever be able to extend our cognitive system by adding a totally new perceptual modality, one that is as intertwined and distributed as the others, but is not just a slight modification of a current perceptual system. I can't image what it would be like to experience such a modality, but how do you explain "vision" to someone who has never experienced it or how do you tell someone who's deaf what it's like to listen to Bach's inventions? What's it like to have a dominant perceptual modality for echolocation or magnetism?

Now, "perception" isn't just an isolated process in the brain, a separated box that you might connect or disconnect, but it's actually the result of a large distributed and intertwined network which you can arbitrarily extend to include almost the whole brain, so it won't be as easy as connecting a new modal box to a couple of "connectors" in the brain, but rather a modification that modifies a huge part of the current cognitive system. That means I can't really imagine how it would work, but, hey, I'm no genius and it's fun to philosophize about what it's like to be something you're not (like a bat :p), even from a monistic perspective.
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

#13119 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

Bloody hell, I'd forrgotten all about Doug.
It was shite anyway.
But Thundercats? Now there was a cartoon

No TV and lots of Music make SS a happy chap.
With the exception of my marvel movie collection, which I've waited FAR too long to catch up on, never watched a screen on over 2 weeks.
Awesome.
Also, News?
What's that?
Cypher was right, Ignorance is bliss!!
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#13120 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostSilencer, on 27 February 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 26 February 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

I think a lot of the "Gen whatever" and "millenial" type distinctions are pretty arbitrary these days, and are often Western-/American-centric as it doesn't take into account that some countries (even Western ones) were not exactly at the same rate of adoption of technology as the frontrunners.

Case in point, in NZ even though I was born in the early 90s, I didn't have internet at home until after I was 10, or a mobile phone until I could buy one myself. That isn't true of every 90s NZ kid, of course. But what is true of NZ 90s kids is that Transformers was still on TV, as were things like the Mighty Ducks and Go Bots, and so on.

People just like to draw lines in the sand, and it's really not that practical. What's even less practical, is typecasting people based on when they were born. Doing it by generation perhaps has slightly more merit due to, you know, actual cultural factors, but it's still almost as silly as doing it by birth month or star sign. When you start doing it across countries like the world all moved at the same pace at the points is just...ugh.

We got dial up at home in 2005, broadband in 2007. I used my first mobile phone in 2006 and first smart phone in 2013. I don't think tech should be a defining phenomenon, its more of a mentality thing. Like how fast somebody adapts to the internet.

Share this topic:

• 969 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users