• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paul Kearney

#41 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

This is offensively wrong. What is his agent doing? There had better be lawyering up going on.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#42 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

I don't think there is any lawyering up to be done. Paul's agent, John Jarrold, is one of the very best in the business and if he can't get this thing moving than no-one can. The problem seems straightforward enough: the American editions are still selling, so Bantam don't want to give up the rights. However, they are not selling well enough to justify publishing a third book. It appears to be a very specific level of sales that allows this situation to unfold. Hence things likely won't change until people stop buying them and Bantam USA let the books go out of print (and then, 5 to 10 years later, the rights revert to Paul) or absolutely tons of people buy them and they contact Paul about a third book.

Meanwhile, Solaris have a cool look at how they created the new cover art for A Different Kingdom.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#43 User is offline   birthSqueeze 

• Corporal

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

I haven't read The Ten Thousand yet, but I have read the entire Monarchies of God series and absolutely loved it, especially the first two books. In fact Hawkwood and the Kings was one of the best reading experiences I've ever had. The last book was pretty bad though.
speculativefictionatitsbest.blogspot.com

#44 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Paul talks here about his experience of growing up in Northern Ireland during the height of the Troubles and how that impactedon the writing of A DIFFERENT KINGDOM, his best novel, now out as a reprint edition (and a first American edition) from Solaris.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#45 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Huzzah!

Paul has written a WARHAMMER 40,000 novel called UMBRA SUMUS ('Shadows and Dust'). That should be out in late 2014. He's also writing a new stand-alone fantasy novel called THE WOLF IN THE ATTIC, set in Oxford in the 1930s and featuring Lewis and Tolkien as characters. That should be out in late 2015.

#46 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Good news! Paul is writing a sequel to The Wolf in the Attic, provisionally entitled The Other Side of Things. He's also working on more WH40K stuff, which reminds me that I still need to pick up Calgar's Siege.

Bad news: Umbra Sumus is unlikely to ever see the light of day*. As far as I can tell, Black Library/Games Workshop don't see why they should change the series title (Dark Hunters) to appease Sherrilyn Kenyon when the Space Marine chapter of the same name dates back to the 1980s, before her series started. On the other hand, they also don't want to spend the money the legal challenge would cost (Kenyon has also sold more books solo than the entire Black Library has sold in 30 years, not to mention is backed up by a very big US publisher, so that's probably a losing battle) so the book's in limbo, apart from a couple of hundred copies that escaped into the wild.

#47 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

The Wolf in the Attic was a con. I paid full price for a novella length book- with no warning on the blurb/marketing and, on Kobo at least, the ebook buying page specifically doesn't have the page count and time-to-read estimate that every other book does- that turned out to not just be short but actually unfinished. I mean it just stops midway through the story. Load of balls.

Goodreads and Amazon both say it's 320 pages. Not a chance. Not with full-sized type and pages. I read it in an hour and a bit, and while I read fast I don't read that fast.

I'd be happy there's a sequel, because what was there was good, but only once I see the page count and price setting and hear that he finished off the story this time.

Eta: I also wasn't a fan of the racism.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 22 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users