• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paul Kearney

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:05 AM

Anyone read him? I'm in the middle of The Ten Thousand, and enjoying it. Is his other stuff any good?
Error: Signature not valid

#2 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:47 AM

I liked his "Monarchies of God" very much, although the last book was a bit of a mess (like trying very quickly to wrap things up with less than ideal outcome). No particularly innovative ideas, but a lot of really cool large-scale battles and lovable heroic larger-than-life characters. Good fun, all in all, and I would definitely receommend it further.

Also read the first two books of "The Sea-Beggars", and although they were not particularly good (especially compared to "The Monarchies") they still have their charms and I will certainly buy the next book in the series.

This post has been edited by Dag: 26 September 2008 - 06:47 AM

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

#3 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:07 AM

Well i am a big fan, he is a northern ireland author as well, and lives just down the road from my hometown. Definitely a recommended read.

#4 User is offline   Danyah 

• Fist

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

View PostDag, on Sep 26 2008, 07:47 AM, said:

I liked his "Monarchies of God" very much, although the last book was a bit of a mess (like trying very quickly to wrap things up with less than ideal outcome). No particularly innovative ideas, but a lot of really cool large-scale battles and lovable heroic larger-than-life characters. Good fun, all in all, and I would definitely receommend it further.

Also read the first two books of "The Sea-Beggars", and although they were not particularly good (especially compared to "The Monarchies") they still have their charms and I will certainly buy the next book in the series.

Wouldn't start with the Sea Beggars. Have them both (tnx to Pat), then he got sacked by his editor because it didn't sell enough. Now the series is on hold, without any hints on continuation. Pity. I liked it tough.

#5 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

I really liked his "Monarchies of God" series. But the last book is an utter disaster. I would advise against reading it at all and pretend the series finished at the end of the 4th book.

#6 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

Latest on the Kearney:

The Monarchies of God is being reissued in early 2009 in two omnibus volumes. The second features a rewritten version of Ships From the West which apparently Will Not Suck.

The Sea-Beggars will continue. Kearney had done a lot of work on the third book, Storm of the Dead, when the axe fell. He is now going to finish off the third and combine it with elements of the planned fourth book. Once that is done, the whole trilogy will be published in one volume. The timing on that is unclear since Bantam won't surrender the rights to the series, but we should see that hopefully within two years or so.

Kearney is considering his new project: either a prequel to The Ten Thousand or a new series set in an alternate-Hundred Years' War featuring magic.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#7 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:36 AM

Finshed The Ten Thousand. Quite good, would recommend it. The only fault is that it's only a single book. I could have gone for another 9 or so easily.
Error: Signature not valid

#8 User is offline   wintermute 

• Corporal

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

I read the first monarchy of god book and quite liked it, but I can't get my hands on the others (except the fifth, which I found at a used bookstore, for all the good it does me).

#9 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:00 AM

The ten thousands out already? Damn why haven't I bought it, been looking forward to it for ages, this being in another country sucks with regards to keeping up with the latest book releases...

I'm a big fan of kearney, and I'm really looking forward to the re-released version of monarchies of god, personally I think he's one of the most consitently under-rated authors around, if he'd been better treated by his publishers and a better version of ships of the west had been released first, he could easily have been one of the most popular authors in the genre.

#10 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

Also just finished the Ten thousand and loved it. I have read all of his other work as well and enjoyed them all, expect the last in the monarchies of god series, which I tried and had to give up on. So I would definitely recommend his books to anyone.

#11 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

Just finished The Ten Thousand and really enjoyed it! One of the year's best, no question!

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#12 User is offline   ... 

• Corporal

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

I have to admit that the Ten Thousand was my first look at Kearney. With that being said I found the book very entertaining yet, it was lacking at the end. I found that the final scene
Spoiler
to be a little predictable and cliche. Yet, it still was one the most entertaining books I've read in while.

#13 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

Latest news on Kearney's projects.

Kearney has three books out this year:

Early August 2010: Hawkwood and the Kings. The first of two volumes reprinting his classic Monarchies of God series. This volume includes Hawkwood's Voyage and The Heretic Kings.

Early September 2010: Century of the Soldier. The second Monarchies omnibus, collecting The Iron Wars, The Second Empire and a rewritten Ships From the West.

Late October 2010: Corvus, a self-contained follow-up to The Ten Thousand, picking up on Rictus and the Macht twenty years on.

All three should be published by Solaris Books in the UK and USA simultaneously. Check the link for cover art for all three.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#14 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:06 AM

Oooh, a rewritten Ships From the West.

Any ideas what sort of stuff is being rewritten, Wert? Because it's a right disaster for ending the series as it is right now.

#15 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

View PostRodeoRanch, on 26 March 2010 - 03:06 AM, said:

Oooh, a rewritten Ships From the West.

Any ideas what sort of stuff is being rewritten, Wert? Because it's a right disaster for ending the series as it is right now.

I know that

Spoiler

#16 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, I would recommend him too. Although he maybe draws too much on our own history for his ideas, Monarchies was good. He had a few terrific characters (what was his name? Corfe?) and enjoyable stories. Ten Thousand was inspired by Xenophon, iirc, but I still liked it. I seem to recall Kearney saying that with The Sea Beggars he wsa going back to revisit established fantasy cliches to freshen them up or something or other. I read the first one and it was ok but never got round to book two.
Victory is mine!

#17 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

The finalised cover art for the first omnibus which, encouragingly, is still coming out in August. You may recognise the person giving the cover rec:

Posted Image

The cover artist has a blog entry here expanding on the images chosen for the book and how they redrew the maps and chapter headers for the new edition.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 29 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

#18 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

Confirmation that Kings of Morning, the third Macht book, will be out in July 2011, just eight months after Corvus is released in November.

In addition, its cover art:

Posted Image

And the art for the second Monarchies omnibus:

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   ObsoleteResolve 

• Fist

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

I love you Wert. Thanks for the news-- he's one of the authors I keep tabs on on the bookshelves at stores, and knowing that the re-release/revisions are coming out soon is Happy Days.
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!"- Kurt Vonnegut

#20 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

I actually just picked up the entire Monarchies series at Half Price Books. The Ten Thousand was good, so I'm looking forward to these.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users