Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pickeled Seguleh

#1 User is offline   Jorgy 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

I searched in the forum, but I cant find an explenation or idea concerning the pickeled Seguleh. I one for one thought one way or the other they would participate in the climax.
Maybe its a storyline ICE will pick up regarding the Tyrant?

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

That's how speculation has run thus far.

I figure the cellar was a Seguleh burial chamber - it establishes the link between Darujhistan and the Seguleh that was hinted at in TB. More local colour than actual plot point.

- Abyss, tyrant when needing coffee....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:19 PM

Jorgy;375365 said:

IMaybe its a storyline ICE will pick up regarding the Tyrant?

I think you are probably right with this and the spider-kitty has it too, don't think there is a lot more to say really.
I AM A TWAT

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

I forget who said, "I always wondered what happened to the old ones", Duiker perhaps? But they it was said! :Rodeo:

Anways, are the "old ones" the previous Seguleh leadership, pre-"No seguleh in the city? Brilliant insanity!", or are they literaly "elder" seguleh who died of natural causes and thus were never defeated?

I guess I lean to option #1, but the idea of seguleh who were never defeated is kind of romantic to me for some reason.

Option #1, who would have the power to place the Seguleh into these kind of death comas? It doesn't describe them as being wounded, so obviously it is magic of some kind and the immediate suspect is the Torrud Cabal.

Query: was there a power struggle within the Tyrant's leadership ranks?

The seguleh is just so open at this point it's hard to really predict anything about them with sufficient cause as to not be complete conjecture.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Trenchgrave 

• Recruit

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

Question.

Does anyone think that a dead/defeated Seguleh would keep his/her mask? Being dead is usually rather close to being defeated, and thus conceding ones rank. If memory serves, the pickled Seguleh had their masks on, maybe supporting a theory that they departed these shores undefeated and were as such honoured. Or,as Hoosier speculates, somone used some powerfull magic on them and they just "dissapeared" of the radar of the rest of the Seguleh, and eventually got their vacant places filled.

The whole little episode left us a lot of titbits to nibble on. What was in the cask that Bluepearl found? What did Mallet know about Seguleh healing, or how they used High Denul? What was up with the ghost of a monk whose throat was slit?

And all this in a cellar in K'ruls ex temple, who now had some more blood shed in it, including that af Bridgeburners, Acendants to be. And Fisher turns up to sing us the blues.....

#6 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

Slightly different question - can we tell if those Seguleh are dead or alive?

When the casks were found they were definitely described as magical. Is it possible the Seguleh are in some kind of suspended animation, or was the magic just linked to powerful preservation of the remains? Personally I was waiting for them to re-animate and fight the Bridgeburners, but the assassins ended that wait.

#7 User is offline   fafner 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:36 PM

just wondering we know that the seguleh know about tyrants and how they hide behind there army. what about that the tyrant got the power to command them. after some time with the help of the krull's temple they can break themselves loose. and go to an island so they can have a place of themselves .

#8 User is offline   eekwibble 

• Only...
  • Interests:West Haaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

Pure conjecture; maybe 'Seguleh in Brine' prevents 'Seguleh Undead'.

It's not like anyone wants to be ruled by a race of undead, sword wielding psycho's!
QUOTE (amphibian @ Nov 11 2008) <Rake himself was a huge weight inside Draconus and he didn't go in with an army.>

#9 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

Part of me believes that these will be dealt with in the next couple of books. I know that SE said that the next two books would bring us somewhere (location-wise) that we haven't yet been to, but I figure some threads will be picked up and finished off. Part of me believes that the Darujhistan Tyrant thing will have a big part to play in the next couple of books, though not be the central storyline. Either that or one of SE's trilogies which will come out after he's done the MBotF may deal with the whole Darujhistan Tyrant thing. Either way, I think the Seguleh are somehow involved in the Tyrant thing.

My crazy theory:

K'rull created the Warrens to somehow make it impossible for someone to take the throne of Darujhistan, the 'throne' they have been talking about throughout TtH. Something is going on with the warrens, they are changing, K'rull is back alive, the elder curses are wearing off... The Seguleh, as far as all this goes, would therefore have been placed there by the T'orrud Cabal in case this very thing happened. They are there to defend the throne, which I imagine is somehow involved with K'rull's tower.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#10 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:16 AM

They didn't have any marks on their masks, did they? Maybe previous Firsts? An why buried under Krul's temple?

A huge piece of info out of the book was t hat Krul was the prize - what? how? why? For control of the warrens and their shaping? The sahping of realms themselves? Something to do with the power of the dragons?
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#11 User is offline   darthvadar 

• Recruit

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:13 AM

I had the opportunity to see him in Seattle. I specifically asked him when I received his autograph about the Segulah, specifically whether we would see them again or not. He said he did not think so, that he hoped Cam would pick that thread up.

#12 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:29 AM

Wasn't the dead Third in there? I remember them saying there was a Seguleh with three scratches.

Or is that the Fourth....
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#13 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Oct 2 2008, 11:29 PM, said:

Wasn't the dead Third in there? I remember them saying there was a Seguleh with three scratches.

4th...

@Paran, I wrote about speculation on this in "Foundation of Magic" in the TTH forum somewhere.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#14 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

Maybe some Pannions just stashed a few Segulah in jars of vinegar for snacking on later. And they ended up in Krul's Bar.

Ill make sense now.

I think the First sent them to Darujhistan years ago and theyre kept in stasis for when the Tyrant appears, perhaps he/she will awaken them.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#15 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Oct 5 2008, 09:04 PM, said:

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Oct 2 2008, 11:29 PM, said:

4th...

Yeah i think that would make him the third, although from MOI we know that rakes mask has seven scratches and he holds the seventh position., but Moks mask has 2 scratches and he holds the third position so its a bit strange to judge...
"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#16 User is offline   Zendog13 

• Ale House Regular
  • Dulce et decorum est pro natura mori.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

One thing is for sure. Being pickled for any length of time will wreck havoc on ones skin complexion.

#17 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Aug 27 2008, 11:26 PM, said:

I forget who said, "I always wondered what happened to the old ones", Duiker perhaps? But they it was said! :D

It was the bard, Fisher kel tal or however it is spelled.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#18 User is offline   dawnkiller 

• Fist

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

The "I always wondered what happened to the old ones" thing is interesting, considering SE's background in anthropology. There's persistent theories about societies with king-is-country beliefs, where the king is only king until his health begins to fail, at which point he's cast aside or killed to prevent the sympathetic bond between ruler and land from screwing up the local agriculture. It's possible that once a Seguleh gets older, they either commit suicide or are killed so they die in their prime rather than eventually failing to old age. In a culture that seems to place a lot of emphasis on martial fitness living long enough to die a natural death, or one caused by infirmity, might actually be dishonorable. In that case it'd make sense for the elite warriors to choose death rather than aging, aging being for Losers.

Alternately, since they are in K'rul's former temple, you could go the whole "grave goods" route and focus on those societies that would kill slaves, servants, or spouses when a ruler died so they would continue to serve in the afterlife. If K'rul's temple needed protection from more forces than physical invasion it would make sense to kill a couple defenders. The preservation strikes me as that kind of Egyptian "I want my parts kept in good condition so I've still got them in the afterlife" reasoning, probably especially important in a culture where, as stated, martial/physical prowess seems to be revered.

Or you know. Maybe they just saw the T'lan Imass walking around at some point and went ". . . no way."

#19 User is offline   MassiveG 

• Recruit

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostGiles, on 06 October 2008 - 03:05 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Oct 5 2008, 09:04 PM, said:

View PostAin, on Oct 2 2008, 11:29 PM, said:

4th...

Yeah i think that would make him the third, although from MOI we know that rakes mask has seven scratches and he holds the seventh position., but Moks mask has 2 scratches and he holds the third position so its a bit strange to judge...

#20 User is offline   MassiveG 

• Recruit

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

I make the one in the pickle jar the Seguleh 5th - the mask has 4 lines. Given Seguleh first’s mask has no marks, Seguleh 2nd one mark etc

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users