Malazan Empire: The Qu'ran Documentary on Channel 4 - Monday 14th July. - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Qu'ran Documentary on Channel 4 - Monday 14th July.

#21 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

i'd say give it a few days, and i'm sure it'll start to appear on youtube or something like that.

That's what i'm hoping for.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#22 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:46 PM

Cougar;351766 said:

It's not like we get assaulted on the street by hordes of over-horny women all the time is it.

Clearly you've never been to Newcastle. :D

@Illy - I'd heard of it and was vaguely aware of what it was, but I didnt actually know it was quite that extreme. I'd assumed it was a little bit of excess skin trimming, a la male circumcision style, plus removing the clitoris (which is sickening). I thought that other than that the big deal was that in some Islamic countries or impoverished regions you werent allowed female doctors, and male doctors werent allowed to operate on women, so you ended up with some sort of crazy old village woman with a rust knife doing it in a backroom somewhere, leading to much pain, risk of infection, and death.

I also wasnt aware of the sewing and such, which is quite frankly monstrous. Well, as is the rest of it, but you see what I mean.

#23 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

I'm trying to imagine the statistics of voluntary female circumcision now, the full labia/clitoris removal package deal. I'd like to think it'd hit minus percent, but I'm sure there are some women who are made to truly believe it's for the best out there.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#24 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

Of course there is Illy. I have not watched the documentary, but I hope it makes it over to the BBC America so I can.

People who are born, and raised in a culture with no outside influence generally believe what they are taught/told. You think the color of the cloudless sky is blue right? What if for all your life your parents/teachers/friends/everyone told you that the color was Xexon. The rest of society would think you were an odd one for calling it Xexon, right?

That is why so many religions are into the 'get them young' thing. Indoctrinating them while growing so their view of the world accepts and takes into account those religious beliefs is a key tactic.

I personally think circumcision in male or females is sick and pointless, but thats just me.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#25 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

I can understand why it was introduced for men - there's no doubt that in a sandy environment it's a plus, especially when it happens when you're so young you havent developed nerves in the foreskin so cant feel it.

But for women, it's just completely wrong, and I cant understand how any woman, no matter what they were told, could think it was a good idea. I know if you're told something from birth you accept it, but not when it's so blatantly wrong, surely.

#26 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:47 PM

Obdigore;351836 said:

Of course there is Illy. I have not watched the documentary, but I hope it makes it over to the BBC America so I can.

It's not a BBC program, so that's very unlikely.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#27 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

Channel4 productions show up all over the place. It might end up on something like PBS in the states, or it might end up on BBC america.

Equally, it might make it onto one of those art house movie channels that will show documentaries. Here in NZ there's one called rialto. There must be an equivalent in the US.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

- Anonymous

#28 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Sorry bwoody, this

Stone Monkey said:

Was the documentary maker the same guy who did the excellent series The Power of Nightmares for the BBC? Because his voice sounded very familiar.
led me to thinkt hat it was a BBC thing. Apologies.

BoD:
Unless you mean AMC, or perhaps one of the 'learning' channels (History, BBC, Discovery) there really isn't a standard art-house movie channel that I can think of in the US standard Cable.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#29 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

I can't see anything on the 4OD website that says it's UK only, so if you go here you might be able to watch it.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#30 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:39 PM

@ Caladanbrood - When you click on the 4oD site, it recognises if your i.p. address is from outside the UK and Ireland and wont let you watch it.

@ Obdi - Pity there isn't a standard art-house kinda channel like Film4 used to be in the UK. That's the kind of thing i was thinking of, a station that shows mostly films but also some independantly made programmig like documentaries. But History, BBC and PBS might cover it between them. Considering the positive press the show seems to have gotten, I'd say it will be shown in the states pretty soon.

- Anonymous

#31 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

Meh, the government is trying to do some fear-mongering against all Arabic and Islamic peoples here in the states, so I have my doubts as to something that isn't blatantly anti-islamic will get shown.

I hope so... most people don't believe me that the typical Christian is more violent/militant than the typical follower of the Prophet Mohommed.

As an aside, you can just go through a proxy from the UK to watch it if you wanted.

#32 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

Shame - I can't tell that from inside the system, I guess;) I thought it might be ok because it doesn't say anywhere in the terms and conditions that it's UK only. Ah well.

Obdi - probably because you're wrong. In the states I can see why you might that that though. Violence inherant in any person has nothing to do with their religion.

#33 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:00 PM

I know, but it makes people think, and is a good way to show that your standard 'sect' of Islam is just as violent/hateful/loving/peaceful as your standard Christian sect.

As Mezla said earlier 'Religious fanatics scare the shit out of me.'

#34 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

Trouble is, only the violent ones make the news headlines...

#35 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:15 PM

Well obviously, they aren't going to report on the Bradford Islamic Boys Clubs 5 a side tournament are they
I AM A TWAT

#36 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

Oh, you missed the doping scam then?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users