• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1st Grand Malazan Short Story Contest, Win $$$

#121 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Sorry for being away. I've done some limited posting in the discussions threads, but I haven't received any submissions at

malazanwriting@live.com recently. If you feel you sent me something and I haven't posted it, please send it again to that address (PM me with any questions/issues).

And just out of curiousity WHO MOVED THIS THREAD HERE????? We don't need TWO threads in the writing section. The one in the Phoenix Inn was for publicities sake, since a good number of people probably ignore this forum.

December 20th is still the deadline.

Shadowthrone, you are welcome to submit your entry.

Any mods out there, can you move this back to the Inn please? Thanks!
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#122 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:16 PM

Thanks to this forum, I got the inspiration to write about 2,600 words over the weekend. It wasn't originally intended to be a contest entry, just finally getting down a scene that's been in my head for a while, but now I think I might try polishing it up and submitting it.

It's been 6 years since I last wrote a story (and Transformers fanfic, at that) so I had been thinking about posting what I've done to these forums looking for general feedback. Is that still kosher, if I plan on entering it in the contest? Or do I need to forgo public input if I want to submit?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#123 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

Salt-Man Z, if you want to submit go ahead ( malazanwriting@live.com ) . After you've submitted the work, I will post it on the writing contest thread. That version of the posted story would be the "set in stone" form of your work for the purposes of contest judging.

If you then want to start a different thread for your work in order to get feedback, that's not a problem. However, I was thinking of opening the entire body of contest work up for discussion after the judging has been completed.

So if you can wait, that's great. If you'd like to get feedback more immediately, please submit what you have first, and then open your own thread.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#124 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

I've sent in a contribution for fun, couldn't get fully satisfied (am I ever...) with it but since I wrote it with the contest in mind I had to send it :D

Hope a swedes attempt at english doesn't fall too short...

Its a story with two destinct parts the first one intended to be dreamlike (~1/4) and the second perhaps the real story...the intention from the begining was to have a third part telling a diffrent version but it would have passed 10k words quickly.

/Chance...who like writing short stories...even if they tend to become unfinished epics...

This post has been edited by Chance: 26 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

#125 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Entry now sent...
Victory is mine!

#126 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

Earlier this week I actually started writing a new short story from scratch. It was an idea that popped into my head maybe a month ago that I had forgotten until I tried thinking of a short story to write for this contest. I've got 1300 words written: the beginning and the ending. The main action itself needs writing, and will probably be equally as long.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#127 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

I just read The Nacreous Forest, and it's a pretty cool story. A nice mix of horror and fantasy.

Bravo.
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#128 User is offline   Kazaman 

• I think, therefore I am.. at least so I think.

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

Ive sent in a little short story submission that I wrote a month or so ago :D
- Kaz

#129 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

Read your story ,Kazaman. Really enjoyed it. Not bad, not bad indeed
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#130 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

Sending entry now :p
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#131 User is offline   Kazaman 

• I think, therefore I am.. at least so I think.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:41 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on Dec 5 2008, 01:15 PM, said:

Read your story ,Kazaman. Really enjoyed it. Not bad, not bad indeed

Why thank you *bows* :p
- Kaz

#132 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:55 AM

So, Shin, how many entries have there been so far?

And when will we find out who won? :(

#133 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

Is this thing finishing the day after tomorrow? or is that just when all the entries have to be in?
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#134 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:20 AM

He appears to be ignoring us :(

I'd guess that the judges will need a few weeks to get through all the entries.

#135 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

:Huh!: Um, what's happening, Shin? Busy time of year, I know. Sent my story quite a while ago now, so I hope you got it as its not posted yet.
Victory is mine!

#136 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

Hello everyone. If you have something you want to submit but haven't, I can ignore the "deadline" for now. At least up until new years that is.

Fist, can you PM me your name (or initials)? I've posted every story that I've received, except for one who wanted to remain anonymous. I'll need to look back through my inbox for your name to see if I somehow missed it (or downloaded it and failed to post it).

Also, anyone know what happened to Blend? Blend was supposed to be one of the judges, but I can't seem to get in touch.....

#137 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Well, according to his profile, he was last on just a few days ago...

Hope you get plenty of extra subs, cos the suspense is killing me :robo:

#138 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

Just a quick update. Judges are deliberating and rating all of the stories. I myself have read about half of them so far. Great work people! There are smart, articulate people on this board. SE must be proud of his fan base. :p

If I ever get beyond 3 pages (I wrote a page today!) I'll be intimidated to post it here :p

#139 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hey,

Sorry bout the delay everyone, have been dealing with all kinds of stuff that has kept me more or less away from my PC, so haven't had a chance to send Shin my picks and such. Just waiting on a submission and I will send my judgings through asap!

I've already read almost all the stories, so it shouldn't take too long!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users