#21 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:56 AM

Skywalker;341765 said:

And this is funny because?

:D

Skywalker - Star Wars Apologist, Jedi Council Barkeep

It's funny because some people like a movie soooo much, that they start following the religion that is in the movie; and then it turned itno a political squabble.

...then someone farted

#22 User is offline   Northpennines 

• Recruit

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:57 AM

I think that there is a distinct lack of sense of humour here.
Incidently, I think organised religion is the most evil invention of mankind designed purely to keep the common man down. Suffer your miserable lives and you will be rewarded after death. All you have to do is bow down to your "betters" and support a parasitical priesthood who will intercede with whatever deity you hold to while living a life of obscene ease.
Christ, Mohammed, and all those those other "ascended", deeply spiritual teachers must be in a corner weeping about how their words have been twisted by men for their own ends.

#23 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:01 AM

Northpennines;342042 said:

I think that there is a distinct lack of sense of humour here.
Incidently, I think organised religion is the most evil invention of mankind designed purely to keep the common man down. Suffer your miserable lives and you will be rewarded after death. All you have to do is bow down to your "betters" and support a parasitical priesthood who will intercede with whatever deity you hold to while living a life of obscene ease.
Christ, Mohammed, and all those those other "ascended", deeply spiritual teachers must be in a corner weeping about how their words have been twisted by men for their own ends.

Ok, THERE'S the obligatory anti-religion rant.
Error: Signature not valid

#24 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

I think it was in a Bill Baily stand up act where he said that most people in Britain when pushed, write down Jedi in the religion section of any application form.
He did that part really well

#25 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

It's all a joke. No one could possibly believe in a religion created by the same man who created Jar Jar Binks.

#26 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:01 AM

yeah i realised that but its a good joke.
I mean a person would have to be desperatly looking for anything to believe in would be the kinda person who would be part of the religion.
Oh and not to forget Star Wars GEEKS!!

#27 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

Even Star Wars geeks hate Jar Jar.

#28 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

I don't have a problem with it. Who cares that it's from a movie, if it resonates with you then go for it.

#29 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

well at least jedi religion won't send you straight to hell for 1422314141235 billion reasons

#30 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

ALL YOU NAYSAYERS

I find your lack of faith disturbing

:D (what? it had to be said at SOME point!)

Seriously though...

Personally I see nothing wrong with someone trying to 'stay on the light side', avoiding getting angry, too attached, too fearful, or aggressive, or meditating and trying to feel at one with the world. Jedi 'religion' may be pushing the conventional boundaries of what might be deemed sane, but hey, if it works for them that follow it, more power to them.

I will defend to my dying breath anyone's right to believe in the Force same as I will their right to believe that a man nailed to a wooden cross two thousand years ago is going to come back and save their souls; same as I would defend the worship of a half-man, half-ape that legend says carried a mountain to a battlefield and tried to swallow the sun (that is god Hanuman from hinduism btw... the religion I was born into).

Religions are subjective, and deeply personal. I am not beyond cracking a few jokes at their expense - so sorry if this is coming off all sanctimonious - but I wouldn't presume to go so far as to question their validity and/ or raison'd'etre or whatever. The question isn't whether a given religion is a serious thing or the truth or not - the question is are YOU sold on it or not?

In the case of Jedi-ism, I am not.

Now, the OP also talked about how the British government doesn't recognize Jedi-ism. Bah. Like I said, Religions are deeply personal. If I want to worship a vaccum cleaner, I will... and whether my government recognizes me as a vaccumist or not shouldn't matter to me.

After all what does government sanction get a religion? (Beyond officially incorporated charities to run scams with?)

Keep religion out of the public square I say... If anything I would ask the British government STOP recognizing all religions and get the stupid question out of the census.

Um... ok... nuff said for now.
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#31 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

Apparently with Australia's Census, I think the last one or the one before enough people put Jedi as their religion down on the Census and the Government did recocgnise it as a religion here.

I for one welcome anyone that wishes to become a jedi master alonside myself, I shall use the force to turn a democratic nation into a dictatorship..lol.

#32 User is offline   Northpennines 

• Recruit

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

Well, that panned out well, didn't it. "Star Wars Geeks" as opposed to Malazan geeks :D best fantasy I've ever read - my original copies are dropping to bits and need replacing.

#33 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

Is Pastafarianism recognized as a religion? This is not any different, really...

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#34 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

Terez;342222 said:

Is Pastafarianism recognized as a religion? This is not any different, really...

Like in the name of Linguini, Spaghetti, and Riggatoni: Marinara Sauce?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#35 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:31 PM

To me every religion if not hurthful can be worshipped because people can believe eveything thy want.
Saying this I still think it's a bit foolish.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#36 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Jedi'ism is too dualistic for me. It's cool otherwise though. When I saw The Empire Strikes Back when I was 11 it was a religious experience, I almost peed myself.

#37 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

Pig Iron;342276 said:

Jedi'ism is too dualistic for me. It's cool otherwise though. When I saw The Empire Strikes Back when I was 11 it was a religious experience, I almost peed myself.

So you are saying you like a multi-faceted imaginary religion? Complex does that makes you.

On a side note: "imaginary religion", redundant repitition yes?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#38 User is offline   Northpennines 

• Recruit

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

You're all absolutely .............in crackers. I feel right at home. :D

#39 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

Northpennines;342290 said:

You're all absolutely .............in crackers. I feel right at home. :D

I'll take that compiliment in the manner it was given. I'd rather be ....in crackers than ....in a horrendous beastial woman. :D

#40 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

HoosierDaddy;342252 said:

Like in the name of Linguini, Spaghetti, and Riggatoni: Marinara Sauce?

No, the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users