• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6441 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:34 PM

Finished up the first season of 30 Coins (also 30 Monedas). The way they left it, looks like it is set up for a second season.

A Fun horror romp. It's got some issues, but I enjoyed it. Part cursed artifact horror in early episodes, part telenovela, which may put folks off (it has some cheesy romantic triangle intrigue), part Guillermo del Toro horror aesthetic dipped in Catholic mystery/folklore. I will be down to check out a season 2, if that happens.

#6442 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:26 PM

So I noticed on IMDB that they're making a series of the superb graphic novels Y: THE LAST MAN and I am so in. It's going to be on FX I think so I dunno how I'm going to watch it.

There's not much info on there yet (due "late 2021") but I'll be keeping an eye out for info!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6443 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:54 AM

Been watching more TV for once.

Finally got into and finished the VandaVision TV-show. I had a hard time getting through the awkward comedy of the first three episodes. Weird and embarrassing humor makes my toes curl. But once I got into it, it was quite good. I'd never heard about the Scarlet Witch origin myth before so that was cool. I think the ending was a bit... easy? For lack of a better word. There was a lot of conflicting representations of what Wanda can actually do with her powers but that's TV-writing for you.

Started up Castle. Never watched this show before but it's TV mystery crime at it's best. I love how the show plays with the premise of how a crime story would be written versus "the real" crime and detective work. Very low stakes which makes it easy to relax with.

Also watched the first few episodes of Suits. That is a very cool show. Though, it's hard not to laugh at how fast that show moves. Cases open up, get a court date, interviews are made, negotiations happen, massive amounts of research takes place - And it all happens in about 48 hours, handled by three people. I wonder how big law firms earn so much money when they work so fast and only charge a 1000 dollars an hour.

#6444 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:42 PM

Final Grishaverse trailer. Looks tight! Jessie Mei Li looks especially great as Alina.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6445 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:41 AM

Watching more Castle. Halfway into season 2.

I made the mistake of googling the show and learned that apparently the two lead actors hate each other. And apparently the rest of the crew weren't all that fond of Nathan Fillion.

It's impossible not to think about it when Castle and Beckett are flirting.

#6446 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

Okay Jeopardy! nerds, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is going to start his two week guest hosting stint Monday. From what I gather he's a big fan of the show, and even appeared on the celebrity competition. I'll check it out to see how he handles the job. I think he'll probably do well enough. Can't do worse then Dr. Oz.

#6447 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:11 PM

We don't have a thread for Star Trek: LOWER DECKS, so here's the trailer that dropped yesterday on First Contact Day for S2.

Ripping on Riker is always funny!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6448 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:31 PM

'The moment Kate Winslet's character in HBO's Mare of Easttown says the word overdose, dragging out the O's so the word is closer to five syllables than three, you know exactly where the small-town murder mystery takes place—at least, that is, if you've ever heard a Philadelphia accent before. Unless you've spent time in the region, there's a strong possibility you haven't. The characters in Rocky don't talk like they're from Philadelphia. Neither do the ones in Silver Linings Playbook or The Irishman. For all the stories that have been set in and around the city, there's a pronounced lack of authenticity when it comes to speaking the way the locals do—not a matter of failed attempts, but a failure to attempt it at all.

[...] "arguably the most distinctive, and least imitable, accent in North America," but on screen, that distinctiveness seems to work against it. You're more likely to hear fictional characters talking like they come from Pittsburgh or Baltimore than from the pockets of the city—mostly old-school Irish and Italian neighborhoods—where people drink "wooder" by the glass. That makes Mare of Easttown, set in neighboring Delaware County, not only distinctive but practically a unicorn. From the moment the first trailer dropped, locals seemed almost flabbergasted that Winslet was even attempting the accent, and even more so that she and the rest of the cast seemed to be pulling it off.

[...] Like many Philadelphia natives, Nangle has tamped down her dialect along the way, due in part to what she calls "accent dysphoria." "When I got to college," she recalls, "I remember thinking, 'Oh, everyone can tell I'm an idiot.'"

[...] There's so little representation of the Philadelphia accent in popular culture that to outside ears, it can sound wrong when people get it right. "It just doesn't sound real, I think," Nangle says. "It's like South African, where you hear it and you're like, 'That is not how any person ever talks.'"

[...] Even M. Night Shyamalan, who is famously insistent on shooting and setting most of his movies in the city, rarely has his actors attempt it, with the notable exception of Toni Collette in The Sixth Sense. "At least she tried,"[...]

Winslet's dialect coach on Mare of Easttown, recalls talking to a veteran colleague from the Philadelphia area, who told her, "I've been working in this business for 25 years, and I have never been able to coach my own accent—not once." When she tried to pitch producers on accuracy, she was told, "Nobody cares. Nobody knows what this accent is. We're just going to do New York." Given that being overshadowed by New York is inherent to the Philadelphian condition, residents seem to take it in stride[...] Why even attempt the accent, when the reward for getting it right is that you sound horrible?

[...] Winslet has said in numerous interviews that the "Delco accent"—short for Delaware County, and a close cousin to the Philadelphia accent proper—was one of only two accents that were so hard they made her "throw things." [...] while they were concerned with accuracy, it was also important to keep in mind the "taste aversion" some people might have to the accent in its strongest form. "We just had to come up with a subtle version that was honest, but it wasn't going to turn people away." Even so, Rolling Stone critic—and University of Pennsylvania grad—Alan Sepinwall wrote of the show that "Every long 'o' will make you question the life choices that brought you to hearing it."'

https://slate.com/cu...hia-accent.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 April 2021 - 09:32 PM

#6449 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:14 PM

Started a first run of watching Season 5 of Better Call Saul. Damn that was an excellent open to the season. Possibly the best kick off of any of the seasons yet. Some fun BB fan pleasing moments and holy crap it's getting tense!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6450 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:43 AM

'Kate Winslet's Delco Accent In HBO Show Gets Mixed Reactions

The "Titanic" star's HBO show "Mare of Easttown" premiered Sunday, and fans are weighing in on her accent on Twitter

[...]

"I thought Kate Winslet was doing a terrible American accent in this new HBO show but now I think it's possible she's just doing a very accurate Philly accent?"

"Watching 'Mare of Easttown' and my wife is wondering why everyone's American accents are so bad and she won't believe people from Philadelphia sound like that. Our country's 6th largest city sounds so annoying it's just been erased from pop culture lol Eagles suck"

"Verdict on Kate Winslet's Philly accent. It's a good effort but you can tell she's efforting"

"Key takeaway from the first episode of #MareOfEasttown: Kate Winslet nails the Philly-area accent, and specifically the Philly-O."

"I'm actually super familiar with the accent from this area and she's BAD. I love Kate Winslet, but her accent in this is....BAD. REALLY REALLY bad."

"I'm not a native but Kate Winslet's Delco accent sounds sufficiently cringeworthy to me"'

https://patch.com/pe...mixed-reactions

Hm. Well, IDK about Delco specifically, but overall it doesn't closely resemble anything I remember hearing in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia or Philadelphia proper. Worse, it sounds like she's trying to do the accent---and simultaneously trying not to overdo the accent. A strong Philadelphia accent can definitely sound more dissonant than the most over the top Brooklyn or (New) Jersey accents... but I have heard people make it sound a bit more musical. Then again maybe I'm just used to (variations of) it. Fwiw I naturally tend to start imitating accents I like after being exposed to them for a while---audiobook characters even. I find myself doing a few different PA accents (rural, central, northern suburban), but Philadelphia... no, only the slightest vestiges of dipthongization and nasalization.

[Edit: yeah, she's sort of doing the vowels, but she should either be leaning into it more or making a very slight accent sound reflexive ['natural']... she manages to get the worst of both worlds.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 April 2021 - 12:47 AM

#6451 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:46 AM

Ricky Gervais confirmed After Life season 3! Sweet.

Re watched The Dectorists for the 3rd time. I swear to god, it gets better..every...time.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6452 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:42 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 20 April 2021 - 03:46 AM, said:

Re watched The Dectorists for the 3rd time. I swear to god, it gets better..every...time.

Just finished a re-watch. That show is such a treasure.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#6453 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:50 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 20 April 2021 - 06:42 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 20 April 2021 - 03:46 AM, said:

Just finished a re-watch. That show is such a treasure.

I learned so much about Botswana's death metal scene from that show...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6454 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:07 AM

Been watching a lot of stuff.

Watched season one and two of MINDHUNTER on Netflix. That is a great, dark show.

I have no idea how close to actual historical events and FBI people the show sticks but it feels pretty authentic. The interviews with the serial killers is the best stuff. Some really excellent performances in the range of character types.

Also kind of surprising that a lot of the psychology and profiling of criminals we take for granted today and see in every crime show wasn't even invented or widely used in the late 70s. This in mind actually makes 80s and 90s shows and movies about the FBI more fascinating. Something like Silence of the Lambs must have seemed really radical to an older movie audience.

Watched a couple episodes of PRIMAL the animated caveman show on HBO. Reminds me of Samurai Jack. I like the minimalistic form of storytelling but it's not really gripping me.

I'm up to early season 3 in SUITS right now. The show remains excellent but the constant high level of tension between the characters is starting to wear thin. You can't really get mad at one another for betraying your trust or not trusting somebody, when everyone is constantly double dealing and scheming.

I think the real hero of SUITS is Louis Litt. That snivelling rat has a heart of gold. He's mean and bossy and nosy around everyone but everything he does is actually motivated by a love of the firm or hurt feelings when they others antagonize him. I love when ever somebody gets him to open up and you learn about all his crazy quirks.

Also on a sidenote, that Meghan Markles... Oooh boy, I understand why that British Princeling married her. Girl is ridiculously attractive.

Up to season 4 of CASTLE. This keeps on being one of the best cop/mystery shows I've seen. The characters are awesome. Also pretty happy Beckett and Castle finally hook up in this season.

#6455 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:31 AM

Regarding Mindhunter, IIRC they lifted the script for the TV show from actual interview transcripts in order to be authentic as possible.

And Castle is great, Mrs Tiste and recently started a rewatch.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6456 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:05 AM

The interview process is interesting. How they start out with precise manuscripts that go into a questionnaire but Holden immediately throws it all out the window if he can't get them talking. Watching how they evolve their methodology changes is fun.

I hope they make a season 3 eventually.

#6457 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:35 AM

Nah it was axed by Netflix I think.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6458 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:13 PM

Not cancelled, but on "indefinite hold" while Fincher works on other projects.

#6459 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:28 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 April 2021 - 07:07 AM, said:

I'm up to early season 3 in SUITS right now. The show remains excellent but the constant high level of tension between the characters is starting to wear thin. You can't really get mad at one another for betraying your trust or not trusting somebody, when everyone is constantly double dealing and scheming.

I think the real hero of SUITS is Louis Litt. That snivelling rat has a heart of gold. He's mean and bossy and nosy around everyone but everything he does is actually motivated by a love of the firm or hurt feelings when they others antagonize him. I love when ever somebody gets him to open up and you learn about all his crazy quirks.

Suits really starts to go downhill around season 5 I found...

I loved the first few seasons but it just starts to get daft. Characters make stupid decisions out of character just to give the show drama for drama sake. I still stuck with it though but by season 7 I was just like WTF this is ridiculous now and dropped it.

But you are correct in that Louis is the best character by far.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6460 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

I just remembered that Amazon made a The Tick live action TV-show. I watched the first two episodes and it's awesome!

It's just the right mix of bad cosplay and hilarious superhero meta humor.

Spoilers for the first four episodes:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 20 April 2021 - 06:01 PM

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users