Ye Big TV Thread

#4341 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 April 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 17 April 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Confessional awaits. Plead for absolution. Bring smokes. Show dick ass for ratings.

FTFY.

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

Not sure why you're hung up on the smoking, seems dumb, imo. But yeah, never showed his tallywacker, only his cakes. In shower scene, we see his beautiful, cute, compact hot cross buns. But, sigh, alas, no such invigoration and titillation at seeing his cute little wee wee. I would have remembered, believe you me.

Fixed!

But actually, if you want to discuss, the smoking seemed like something they threw in because 'ooooh, look, he's the Pope, and he SMOKES! Ooooo, the controversy! The edginess!!! WE ARE SOOOOOO EDGY YOU COULD SHAVE WITH US!'.
So, no, not 'dumb'. Part of my problem with the show is that they write Law as such a complete asshole that the notion he somehow became pope is trashed right at the start. They could have made him a little less ott and shown how a con worked his way up, but instead it's played for laughs, more or less.

Fair enough about the perception about Law's Pope. I agree a little more nuance would have made it better.

I'm not positive, but it's not uncommon for Catholic priests to be smokers and heavy drinkers. I could be wrong. But yeah, a Pope who smokes can be seen as trying to be controversial/edgy. I don't believe they ever had a scene where he was smoking before the faithful/followers. In other words, he only smoked behind the veil of the Vatican walls. Who knows what the actual Pope is up to when the cameras are not focused on him. Or what about the previous Pope Benedict. Man, he was sort of scary. I bet he was up to all manner of f'd up shit. Wasn't he accused of being a Nazi sympathizer?

#4342 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 April 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

... but it's not uncommon for Catholic priests to be smokers and heavy drinkers. I could be wrong. But yeah, a Pope who smokes can be seen as trying to be controversial/edgy. I don't believe they ever had a scene where he was smoking before the faithful/followers. In other words, he only smoked behind the veil of the Vatican walls. Who knows what the actual Pope is up to when the cameras are not focused on him. Or what about the previous Pope Benedict. Man, he was sort of scary. I bet he was up to all manner of f'd up shit. Wasn't he accused of being a Nazi sympathizer?

I suspect you're mixmatching a couple of different flavours of priest sterotype there, but no matter.

Emperor Palpatine Pope Benedict was a Hitler Youth member, but more or less all German kids of his age/generation were and few had any choice in it. Depending on who you believe, his family was supposedly very anti-Nazi.

At root re YOUNG POPE, i thought the concept of essentially a con artist rising to the position was a neat idea, but they played it as much for laughs and shock-value as an actual storyline, and threw in his religious insecurities as well... like the show couldn't quite decide what it wanted to be. And while Law still worked hard to sell it, the rest of the cast didn't wow me either.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4343 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:12 PM

Any you guys get the Viceland channel? Well, they are running their "weed week" programming this week (leading up to April 20 - 420 yo!)

Anyway, if you get a chance check out Portraits with Yung Jake. It's like if Bob Ross smoked the hella best bud this side of the Milky Way, morphed into a millennial black rapper, and instead of painting happy little clouds and trees and mountains on a canvas, to, instead, make portraits of various celebrities on his computer using emojis.

#4344 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

DS9 S4 episode 18 RULES OF ENGAGEMENT - Wow, great episode. Courtroom drama featuring Worf as the defendant. Solid stuff...and Quark's little part where he can't recall which of the Dabo girls Julian was chatting up had me in stitches!

Then S4 hands me one of the finest episodes of the series. 19, HARD TIME...which is the one where O'Brien is accused and sentenced (erroneously) on an alien planet of spying, and is sentenced to 20 years of MEMORIES of prison time (he's only kept for about an hour while they insert the memories). It's totally heartbreaking, and I'm REALLY glad that they didn't pull the pinch on it by having them entirely removed at the end. I mean Julian says they will treat it, but that he can't remove the memories. Phenomenal acting on the part of Colm Meaney.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4345 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

Finished Lost in Space...

Surprisingly a decent watch though let down somewhat by an atrocious villain.

No development for the villain or anything, they just like to do bad shit for the sake of it.

And then everyone acts so dumb around them too... it does get frustrating!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4346 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

View Postchamp, on 18 April 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

No development for the villain or anything, they just like to do bad shit for the sake of it.

Yeah, that was really my biggest problem with the show as well. I like the show, but the villain wasn't very good.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4347 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

Are you guys referring to Parker Posey as Dr. Smith, or is there another big bad? She's not the only reason I want to watch it, but she is the main draw, so it would be pretty disappointing if the character is a dud.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4348 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 19 April 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

View Postchamp, on 18 April 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

Yeah, that was really my biggest problem with the show as well. I like the show, but the villain wasn't very good.

View Postworry, on 19 April 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

Are you guys referring to Parker Posey as Dr. Smith, or is there another big bad? She's not the only reason I want to watch it, but she is the main draw, so it would be pretty disappointing if the character is a dud.

Aye, Parker Posey...

She hasn't been given anything to dig her acting chops in to unfortunately.

Episode 9 is where we finally see some character development for her.

Up until then it's very poor writing...

It actually takes you out of the experience because the shit she does is just dumb or the peoples reaction to the shit she does is just dumb... you're left shaking your head in disbelief.

This post has been edited by champ: 19 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4349 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

As long as she, at SOME point, turns to Will Robison, legs askance, hands on hips and says "Air Raid Bitch" to him...I'll be happy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4350 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:03 PM

DS9 S5 Ep 2 THE SHIP was a great episode. LOVED the ending with Sisko questioning his own command if he's getting people killed and Dax talking him back. But I especially loved Worf and O'Brien standing watch over the casket of their dead comrade ceremonially. That was such a lovely scene. Man, who doesn't love Worf as a character? Also, the Vorta in this one, played by Kaitlin Hopkins? Good gods.

And then I got to the episode everyone talks about but that I'v never seen. TRIALS & TRIBBLE-ATIONS, the DS9 TOS crossover episode. And MAN was that fantastic TV. The whole thing start to finish is fantastic! How had I not watched that till now?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

#4351 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

The Alienist has come on Netflix over here was it any good?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4352 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

Depends on if you like alienists or not.

#4353 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 21 April 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

Depends on if you like alienists or not.

Well I don't know yet do I?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4354 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

I binged the first 6 episodes of Star Trek: Discovery yesterday. It's a lot better than all the internet comments lead me to believe it would be.

#4355 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

Finally got around to watching the inaugural episode of Forged in Fire: Knife or Death.

Boy, I felt uncomfortable viewing that. So much awkwardness. I believe the line "the more he strikes that box and contents spill out the higher it will rise" was spoken.Posted Image

Oh and ladies, make sure you have extra absorbent panties when watching, because the men contestants are dreamy.

Not sure if I'm going to watch it anymore. Seemed like a dumb idea out of the gate, but thought I'd give it a try.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 24 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

#4356 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

So, I've begun watching Gravity Falls!

I'm a little angry with myself that I haven't done so earlier...
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4357 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

Yo Slow Ben, my dude! Brockmire season 2 premiers tonight! You gonna watch?

#4358 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

I watched Gravity Falls last year. It rules, top to bottom.

I'm halfway into the only season of Bunheads (now that it's on Hulu). It's almost exactly like Gilmore Girls and I'm shocked it got axed so soon.

#4359 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:18 PM

The mistake in the early going is that it removed the single character that was most easily connected to via death in the first episode. I'm not saying Hubbell had to live, but he was what turned the weird stuff into sonething to be cared about because he loved that place and those people. That needed to be around longer than it actually was. The viewers spent a ton of time rooting for Hubbell AND Michelle and honestly, Michelle is a jerk to almost everyone, so without Hubbell, a lot of "care about what happens" is lost.

I'm not saying Hubbell had to live. But he should have died in the third episode, rather than the first. That way, Michelle would get connected to and be cared about.

Or they should have made Michelle more sympathetic in the early going and dropped Hubbell entirely.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4360 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

I agree with that take. Michelle is essentially Lorelai, but more selfish and surrounded by strangers who don't (and shouldn't) necessarily see her quirks as cute rather than grating.

It also takes quite a few episodes before the focus shifts from Michelle near-exclusively to the girls as more than secondary characters. But once that happens, the show really clicks. The scene where Sasha does the furious dance routine to Istanbul (Not Constantinople) in what may or may not be a metaphor/fantasy sequence was a real wow moment, and it felt like the show settling into what it should be.

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

58 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 58 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook