• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#4261 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

Yah I'm on the fence. Haven't watched it and may not ever. Love the original show (except, you know, the final season) and have a lot of affection for her (I even watched her Hawaiian nut farm reality show), but for quite a while now Roseanne (irl) has just been so toxic and not even particularly thoughtful or consistent in her politics. Even if I admire that the show tackles it from multiple POVs, I'm not sure I can get over her real life behaviors for it.

As far as Jordan Peterson goes, WTH? How many of these reactionary reddit intellectuals do we need, at any one time, scamming Anti-SJW Logic Wizards out of their gaming money? He's like the flip side of the New Atheists without even the past laurels to rest on. If it wasn't for his religion, he'd probably be a Bill Maher staple already. Anyone who talks about "the feminization of ___________" should be launched into the sun before they finish their first sentence.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4262 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

Do and Don't seem to be the available choices, so I agree with you there.

At the risk of repeating myself, I will recommend to everyone if they want a smart, funny, traditional multi-cam sitcom that hilariously and honestly (and sometimes movingly) tackles current events, watch the One Day At A Time reboot on Netflix.

#4263 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 March 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

Roseanne has a photo shoot from 2009 where she's dressed up in a Hitler costume while baking burnt human shaped cookies in an oven. It's real, even according to Fox News.

That's so hurtful and she's got hundreds of tweets being transphobic, anti brown people, and more. She is kinda being rewarded with a huge platform for her views and lots of money.

That's fucked up and she needs to change. And I liked her before I knew about this stuff.

Considering that Darlene’s son on the show is a gender fluid child, and the show has Roseanne being supportive of that choice...I’d say there’s probably more going than you assume?

And it looks like the photo shoot was for a Jewish satirical magazine in Germany. Not sure if that changes the context of it...(it’s still probably distasteful when the holocaust wounds and affects are still fresh)...not defending it...just googled it and snopes has the info about it which gives it a bit more context.

Personally I’ve always found her Schlick to be “how offensive can I be, while doing comedy”, which is pretty typical.

It’s odd what people let pass on comedy...look at Michael Che...co-writer at SNL, much lauded POC comedian...and half his standup is clear homophobia and transphobia, and a dash of sexism. And his argument is “don’t come at me when you don’t understand comedy” when he’s taken to task for it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4264 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:02 PM

Google Rosanne deleted tweets.

#4265 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

The garbage Roseanne is peddling: https://medium.com/@...ry-234526f52e54

#4266 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

As a comedian, how do you know she’s serious?

She’s actually stated her goal in supporting Trump is to prevent Pence from being Prez.

Shrug. I’m not sure what’s comedy and what’s not...as is usually with comedians on a format like Twitter.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4267 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

I dunno. With speculative fiction writers, how do we know Orson Scott Card isn't just speculating aloud? The same way you do anything, I suppose. Observe their output, get a sense of it, and make your best judgment.

#4268 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:40 AM

View Postworry, on 31 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

I dunno. With speculative fiction writers, how do we know Orson Scott Card isn't just speculating aloud? The same way you do anything, I suppose. Observe their output, get a sense of it, and make your best judgment.

The difference is their vocation.

I’m not making excuses for Roseanne if she’s really believing this stuff...but comedians on twitter say a lot of random uncouth shit for a laugh. And there’s no way to tell.

OSC is not a comedian. So...you know...apples and oranges and all that,

#4269 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

Well, I'm not trying to convince anyone not to watch it either, just explaining why I'm leaning more and more towards not watching it despite being a big fan of the original show and even some of her other stuff. TBH I think I have a decent handle on when comedians are joking or trolling, when they're not, and when it doesn't matter to me either way. In that light, I'm not comparing apples to oranges, or Roseanne to OSC, I'm comparing myself to myself. I'm confident in my reactions to both of them. Hope that makes sense.

#4270 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

Yep, makes sense. B)

#4271 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

That's some fucked up logic coming from Roseanne. Votes for Trump and supports him so Pence won't become Prez? Yeah, makes perfect sense,

Her crazy bullshit on twitter and in interviews is sort of her just being "on brand" though. She's been doing that shit for as long as I've been aware of her. I just wish she'd go back to growing nuts in Hawaii. Makes sense that a full blown nut job is an excellent nut farmer. I never could stand her whiny delivery of her stand up comedy and never watched her bullshit stupid show about a bunch of blue collar, working stiffs trying to make it through life with shitty kids and friends and life stuff (bills and mortgages and job disappointment and ugh, drive a ice pick through my right retina right now).

I did enjoy some of the Halloween shows though. They seemed to just have fun with those.

#4272 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:01 PM

Trump, who didn't call the parents of dead soldiers when they were killed in action, did call Roseanne to congratulate her on good ratings apparently. And while that says more about him than her I think it tells me enough.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4273 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

Here's a decent article from VOX which goes into the new Roseanne show, politics of its star an all and does so better than I can here. The good, the bad, and the ugly. It illustrates why it's such a complex beast, warts and all.

Not trying to convince anyone, just found it an interesting read on the show.

#4274 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:08 AM

Forged in Fire must be a winner for The History Channel because this spin-off is coming soon to the channel.

Promo'd tonight during Forged in Fire.

#4275 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 April 2018 - 03:08 AM, said:

Forged in Fire must be a winner for The History Channel because this spin-off is coming soon to the channel.

I'm somewhat intrigued by this IF the competitors are using knives that they themselves have made so that its essentially Forged In Fire rounds 1 & 2 at your home forge and then you become your own Doug Marcaida, testing your blade. I'll give it a shot.

#4276 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

View PostBachelorluver, on 04 April 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

QT, Whisp...seen Ep 6 yet?!? I have to say that was prob the single funniest Ep of this entire series yet. I have loled at the cast, I have for sure loled at the gallery, but I don’t think I’ve yet loled at the cast and the immeadite gallery seg. I was just in stitches. I feared I would wake the kids or old man I was roaring so loud.

We've not gotten past were we were the last time yet. Too much TV, too little time.

#4277 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 04 April 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 April 2018 - 03:08 AM, said:

I'm somewhat intrigued by this IF the competitors are using knives that they themselves have made so that its essentially Forged In Fire rounds 1 & 2 at your home forge and then you become your own Doug Marcaida, testing your blade. I'll give it a shot.

It gave me the impression that the show would be more focused on testing the knives (running them through the various tests to check sharpness and durability and such). In other words, I got the feeling the blades will be crafted at each contestants home forge and then brought in to the studio for the testing. I like the forging part of the current show, but I think the layman/novice viewer out there just mainly focuses on the testing, which is a lot of fun, tbh.

#4278 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

[/quote]
It gave me the impression that the show would be more focused on testing the knives (running them through the various tests to check sharpness and durability and such). In other words, I got the feeling the blades will be crafted at each contestants home forge and then brought in to the studio for the testing. I like the forging part of the current show, but I think the layman/novice viewer out there just mainly focuses on the testing, which is a lot of fun, tbh.
[/quote]

I agree with your impression that the forging/making of the knives will occur off camera with the focus of the show being a series of timed tests of the blades. I'll still check it out.

#4279 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

You're out of my will.

#4280 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 04 April 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 April 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

I agree with your impression that the forging/making of the knives will occur off camera with the focus of the show being a series of timed tests of the blades. I'll still check it out.

I'll definitely be checking it out too. Based on the promo, it looks like they may be introducing some new and creative ways to tests the blades.Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

58 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 58 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook