• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So what did you think? spoiler review

#21 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:37 PM

Imperial Historian;340204 said:

Iskar Jarak is the name given to whiskeyjack by the anibar, boatfinder's people, who are the tribe karsa saves from the edur in the bonehunters. iskar jarak is a corruption of whiskeyjacks name, given to him after he saved the anibar by telling them to flee. The anibar now worship him as the iron prophet.

Re hounds of light, it seems clear that the new 3 were pups of one of the others

Just finished.

Yes one of the hounds of light was still recovering from having a litter when she appears.

Cutter off with spite worries me

When we saw Paran, he said things were busy and he couldn't leave where he had just landed. I assume we don't see him in RotCG (if we do, tell me) so I have to wonder where he is.

Just a simple question. What is SE's current .... I don't want to say obsession, but inclusion I guess... with sore vaginas? Happened once in RG, and at least twice that I can remember off the top of my head in TtH.

So it seems Karsa is not going to be the next god of death. Toc is still around. All the current occupants of the sword are going to spill out somewhere. Technically not reborn, but for those that are ascended, I would imagine they would act just as Hedge can. Perhaps the others can too.

I assume that is the army of the dead in fid's game on the boat in BH, right? I mean AFTER they are out of the sword, I assume they appear somewhere with Ganoes.

Amazing book. Never wanted to stop reading. Will read again, as the next book I read, but I need a break for a bit I think.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#22 User is offline   ShadowOwl 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:52 AM

Ah Rake, what an exit! awesome writing! so many cool parts - finding Gothos again and the builder of the azaths, who would have thought! and a soletaken edur as master of the hounds? and mother dark! and and and, awesome book! Will re-read as soon as my head stops spinning!
"Yes, the owl was deliberate in each and every instance, and yes, it was intended to work on multiple levels." (from SE's Dec 09 Q&A)

#23 User is offline   Ursus 

• Corporal

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:08 AM

Why oh why cant the dead get their well-earned rest? It never bothered me with the first few characters returning to life and i actually had hopes for some of my favourites returning but now death in the MBotF is losing its meaning.

Heck im a grown man and i cried at some of the deaths earlier in the series! Now i just go 'oh there is the little bugger again, i wondered when he was gonna pop up' and 'meh he died, well i wonder what he's gonna do next...'

Edit - Oh and i wonder in which books Rake and Trull will be back on the scene.

#24 User is offline   Shalok-Gul 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:47 AM

Obdigore;340426 said:

When we saw Paran, he said things were busy and he couldn't leave where he had just landed. I assume we don't see him in RotCG (if we do, tell me) so I have to wonder where he is.

I have a horrible feeling that it is assail, just gut instinct with no evidence

As for when rake and trull will reappear well trull maybe but rake is gone for good as (or at least my interpretation of the event is) he gave his soul so that the gate could be brought to black coral

#25 User is offline   Ursus 

• Corporal

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

The quote "Rake has rejoined his mother" or whatever it was didnt seem too final to me but no, i agree.

Paran...Assail is not at all impossible but i still have hopes that he's connected to the main storyline, and that would probably mean Lether. High fist and adjunct Paran joins forces, we would be in a world of awesomeness :mad:

#26 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:01 AM

until Ganoes discovers the truth about Felisin's death...?

#27 User is offline   Shalok-Gul 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

or tavore finds out the truth even

#28 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

i got the impression t hat hood wanted karsa to kill the crippled god. also i think paran is such a central character to the fallen books that he is bound to be there in book ten and erikson has said he isnt writing about assail so it can only mean letheras.

also the complaints about the dead, it had been hinted at that hood did nothing with the souls of the dead, but we know he greeted brukhalion and toc in person and also he had plans for whiskeyjack after whiskeyjack kidnapped his sister back from hoods temple. it was mentioned somewhere that hood had a place for whiskeyjack and would make his death pojintless or ironic?? indicating that he wanted whiskey jack.

as far as the tiste dead go i felt it shed light on all the hsades, i had assumed the ritual that gothos weaved did that, but by reading endest's pieces its clear the tiste dead their souls were forced to wander as mother dark refused them. Therefore the tiste couldnt be accepted by hood but were forced to roam. now that mother dark has returned, the souls of the tiste dead should also be freed or returned to the great river.

i especially enjoyed the seconds little turn in this book, hes a bloody nutter :mad: and vorcan and here seguleh welll that was pretty awesome as well.

#29 User is offline   Expletive 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

dolfanuk;340182 said:

does anyone know the significance of WJ using a new namre?

Imperial Historian;340204 said:

Iskar Jarak is the name given to whiskeyjack by the anibar, boatfinder's people, who are the tribe karsa saves from the edur in the bonehunters. iskar jarak is a corruption of whiskeyjacks name, given to him after he saved the anibar by telling them to flee. The anibar now worship him as the iron prophet.
Right, but why is he using it instead of his Malazan name, as Toc wonders? It's a fun little bit of narrative coyness on Erikson's part, but is there any significance to it beyond that?

#30 User is offline   Narg 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

Expletive;341171 said:

Right, but why is he using it instead of his Malazan name, as Toc wonders? It's a fun little bit of narrative coyness on Erikson's part, but is there any significance to it beyond that?

Two reasons, I would assume.

One is that he was worshipped under that name, which I assume would matter

Second is that SE probably wanted to confirm that they were indeed the same person.

#31 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

I'm glad people are enjoying it!

Told you the ending was crazy! :mad:

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#32 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:40 PM

ICE's next book, Stonewielder, takes place on Korel and we know that Dust of Dreams/The Crippled God is one huge story taking place at least partially in eastern Lether. However, Erikson's prior statement was that he won't revisit the Malazan Empire, so we could get more stuff in Darujhistan (technically not in the Empire) in either of those books.

ICE's fourth book will likely be the one set on Assail and his fifth is a big epilogue to the whole 15-book series, and it's possibly that one may be set on Genabackis (ending where the whole thing started, that sort of thing).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#33 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

Do we have any idea what the progress is on Stonewielder? Is ICE going to follow the book-a-year schedule that SE is? It'd be great if his fourth book came out before The Crippled God, because it probably takes place before or during it. But SE I'm sure is pretty hard to keep up with...

#34 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

drinksinbars;341055 said:

i got the impression t hat hood wanted karsa to kill the crippled god. also i think paran is such a central character to the fallen books that he is bound to be there in book ten and erikson has said he isnt writing about assail so it can only mean letheras.

also the complaints about the dead, it had been hinted at that hood did nothing with the souls of the dead, but we know he greeted brukhalion and toc in person and also he had plans for whiskeyjack after whiskeyjack kidnapped his sister back from hoods temple. it was mentioned somewhere that hood had a place for whiskeyjack and would make his death pojintless or ironic?? indicating that he wanted whiskey jack.

as far as the tiste dead go i felt it shed light on all the hsades, i had assumed the ritual that gothos weaved did that, but by reading endest's pieces its clear the tiste dead their souls were forced to wander as mother dark refused them. Therefore the tiste couldnt be accepted by hood but were forced to roam. now that mother dark has returned, the souls of the tiste dead should also be freed or returned to the great river.

i especially enjoyed the seconds little turn in this book, hes a bloody nutter :mad: and vorcan and here seguleh welll that was pretty awesome as well.

I think Karsa is there to kill the Tyrant, that is being thought about by Baruk when Brood comes in,something about acoylotes still trying to raise the Tyrant.

#35 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

pat5150;341194 said:

I'm glad people are enjoying it!

Told you the ending was crazy! :mad:

Patrick

One thing i would say Pat in your review you say how ST and COT work the events, Rake was just as involved i would say, and had a much bigger part to play.

#36 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

I thought Kallor was the Tyrant?
Although I seem to recall the last Tyrant of Darujhistan was female.

#37 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

blackzoid;341508 said:

I thought Kallor was the Tyrant?
Although I seem to recall the last Tyrant of Darujhistan was female.

I don't know for certain, but at the end when Brood comes in to break Draginspur Baruk is musing how people are trying to reawaken a Tyrant, i believe that is who they want Karsa to stay put for and then kill.

#38 User is offline   Tes'thesula 

• High House My House

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:56 AM

What a book - loved it.

I was so worried that SE would let Rake get killed by the new god right before his plans were finally fufilled. It would be so like SE to do something like that. Go Ditch!

Murillio really proved himself a hero in this book, which kinda made me appreciate his actions from the other books more and what a decent guy he is. Really sad when he was killed.

Loved seeing all the old characters from GoTM and being back in Darujhistan. Can't wait to hear more about their Segulah connection.

#39 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

I have just finished this book and it was fucking incredible loved every page of it. Just wow for every part of it. Definitely the best book since MOI may even be higher than that will need a reread to determine that.

So many dead in the book Mallet, Murillo and of course Rake's sacrifice nearly had me in tears when he stood on the cart at the end. Just such a brilliant book.

#40 User is offline   Elan Morin Tedronai 

• Captain

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:39 PM

Just finished it, and omfg those last 200 pages... still don't have the words to describe them.

Gonna start a reread tomorrow, need to let this sink in a bit first.

Rake :D even though we knew it was coming.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users