Malazan Empire: FRINGE - S5 discussion (spoilers for all eps to date) - Malazan Empire

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FRINGE - S5 discussion (spoilers for all eps to date) Same Fringe thread, even more FINAL SEASON Fringe crazy

#1 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

I just watched a pre-air screener for this new show, Fringe, due out on Fox in the Fall. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119644/ Trailer Better Trailer

Wow. Color me impressed.

Seriously, it was one of the most enjoyable pilots to a new show that I have ever seen. Great acting, story, pacing. It was both humorous and action-packed. Hot blond FBI agent teams up with mad scientist and his kid to find a way to stop her comatose lover's transparent skin from crystallizing, and all the while a global conspiracy concerning the fringe aspects of science boils underfoot. Win.

That mad scientist has some great one-liners.

I suggest checking it out. Find it online or just wait until September and watch it when it airs...

This looks like it could easily become one of my favorite shows. Right up there with "Heroes."

#2 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

I've heard people say it's going to be a rip off of the X-Files, but then I never watched the X-Files, so that's fine with me :mad:. Along with Dollhouse, which doesn't start until later in the year, this is one of the two shows I'm most looking forward to in the next year.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#3 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

I'll at least check out the first couple of episodes.
Error: Signature not valid

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

I just realised that JJ abrams is the same guy that made Cloverfield. My interest has been peaked. Has the Pilot aired yet or are we still waiting?

#5 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

Oh yeah, that is him! Now i will certainly check it out!

#6 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

really enjoyed this, nice over arcing storyline setup, hot lead chick, violent and dramtic storyline with TWO mad scientists.

was pretty bloody good.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Just watched it.

It's pretty good. At least it seems so. I'll have to wait and see if they drop the ball on it...

Awesome things:

Future tech - What seems like holographic projection, cybernetic limbs.

Weird science - Telepathy, re-animation, crazy viruses, earthquake machines, etc.

Horror value - People rotting apart, weird animal labs,etc

It surprised me that "Dawsons Creek/Skulls" actor guy didn't make me furious. He was passingly good. Lead hot FBI chick was... hot. Crazy Frankenstein father was cool.

I wonder, is this going to be a monster of the week show now, or will they keep every episode working on the "Pattern"?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Imperial Historian: 04 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

#8 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

Aptorian;336891 said:

I wonder, is this going to be a monster of the week show now, or will they keep every episode working on the "Pattern"?

I'm curious about that as well. It seems to lend itself more toward the Supernatural/X-Files type of thing - a new mystery/monster every week with a larger theme running in the background.

I just hope Fox doesn't cancel it after a few episodes, in favor of Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader? or some such shit, if it's not an immediate hit.

Abrams has had a lot of success with Lost and Alias, so hopefully his name will help keep it on air.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:44 PM

I rewatched the episode and
Spoiler

#10 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Indeed. Believability is not exactly its strong suit.
Spoiler

Still, it was a very well-produced and entertaining hour and a half. TV is all about vegging out and being entertained, for me.

But yeah, on a second viewing it lost some of its initial charm.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:42 PM

Colour me curious. Abrams gets a lot of leeway from me, so X-Files rip notwithstanding, I'll give this a shot.

- Abyss, wants to believe.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

It's a really good pilot, and I really enjoyed it. I am sure it will garner the same kind of following that LOST has, being Abrams other TV baby. I'll sure as hell watch it.

Interesting note: All shot in Toronto, some of it in my neighborhood! LOL. the part where it was in "south Boston" was in Little Portugal around the corner from me. The Harvard exteriors are UofT. The car chase is on the Lakeshore underneath the Gardiner Expressway, and most clear and easy landmark to spot (one which is new enough that alot of people who don't live here wouldn't know about) is the building that is supposed to be Massive Dynamics (exteriors AND interiors) is actually the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal expansion to the Royal Ontario Museum. See below:

Posted Image
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

Just watched the pilot and enjoyed it. Dunham seemed to have a permanent sneer etched on her face for the first half, was glad to see it vanish later on. I'll definitely be watching this when it airs.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#14 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:46 AM

So, what do people think?

Personally, after the pilot the show seems to have lost a little steam and looks to be more and more like an X-Files rip-off.

I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't been too impressed w/ the eps after the pilot...

#15 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:49 AM

I watched the pilot and the second episode. Gave up after that. It just felt extremely clunky.

#16 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

The first episode after the pilot was alright, but I wasn't such a fan of Episode 3 (The Ghost Network) apart from the gas that expands into a solid, which I hadn't seen in anything else I've watched and thought was a good idea, there was very little in the way of interesting stuff, and it was kind of obvious what was going on (to me at least). Also, SupposedSuperGeniusMan doesn't seem to be particularly SuperGenius-ish and his delivery is pretty poor.

I am prepared to give it a bit more time though, as having never seen the X-Files I don't have anything to compare it to and find it wanting. Always takes a little while for a show to get it right.

Sir Thursday

#17 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:15 AM

I'm still all about it. i never watched xfiles, so who cares if it's being ripped off. Stilll into it. I think you guys are going to regret abandoning it.

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

Two eps in and likey so far. It's steering clear of some of the things that killed X-files... evil corporations instead of aliens, rogue tech instead of magic and mutants, no character is playing deliberately head in the sand ignorant...

I like Walter. He does a great mad scientist with some seriously sinister undercurrent (when he's not peeing on himself).

They do some decent action and tension bits.

I'm not completely sold, but curious enuf to stick with it yet.

- Abyss, is actually just watching for the cow...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#19 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:26 AM

Hey, I added this thread 'cause I was quite enamored w/ the pilot. It was like a new level of FOX tv...but, while accelerated pregnancies/aging as a result of bio tampering... and gas that somehow solidifies when it hits the air, suffocating people, is cool, the show doesn't really command my attention. I was glued to my seat for the pilot...I guess I was hoping more for a sequence of shows that are cliffhangers based on the Pattern, like a Prison Break or 24, with sci-fi elements, than a "case of the week...what do ya think, gramps?"

Yeah, the mad scientist is funny...his nonchalance/penchant for making drugs in his lab is pretty sweet

#20 User is offline   Wordmerchant 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Wiki Contributor
  • Interests:Writer, Miniature Painter

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

The show itself is kind of hit or miss for me, but I will probably continue to watch it just for John Noble's acting. Such a great character and well played.
Spin Doctor to The Errant. Because nothing says I love you like a little nudge!

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users