• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Works-in-Progress

#21 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:32 AM

I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment. I finished the first draft of my first book in January, and was convinced I would have the second draft done by July...

But I'm only a third of the way through. Mafia has partially been the cause, plus a massive to-read pile that is only now beginning to shrink.

Once I get back off holiday I will have to hit the damn thing pretty hard. Definitely have to get it done by Xmas or I'll cry.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#22 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:55 AM

Is this something you're planning on supporting your living or is it just a hobby/project you enjoy spending time on?

Also, what's the story about, Yellow?

#23 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:26 AM

If I could sell it, it would be 'king ace :D

Thanks for taking an interest though, Apt. What's it about? Ah, this is where I hit the snag. I'm terrible at the plot summary thing. Here goes.

It's the first part of an epic (ish) fantasy, in which the last, failing remnants of two great armies are heading for a final confrontation on the other side of the world. It's told from the POVs of soldiers on both sides, plus the assassins and mages who follow in their wake.

Yeah, that pretty much sucked :p Here's the longer blurb I wrote a while ago for each of the main POV characters. Not great, but a bit better I think.

Merophen Pir, commander of the west's most powerful army, is in pursuit of the last, defeated forces of the renegade warlord Garrum Maurin, his most bitter rival and oldest friend. When Maurin is offered the power to once again threaten the Councils, Pir follows him across ice and oceans, to where he must conquer his own inner demons if the world is to survive.

Yanish Ulor - a lowly Untaran footsoldier in Maurin's bedraggled army - is struggling to survive through Maurin's last, desperate gamble. When help arrives unexpectedly and in number, Yanish must follow in his lord's blood-drenched wake to the unknown and inhospitable east, where the last promise of glory rests.

Treris Orme is a young and gifted Warrior mage on his first mission away from the temple, discovering the difference between the training yard and the world beyond. When Orme’s band is attacked by assassins in the jungles of Balerios, it becomes clear there is much about their mission he hasn't been told, nor what lies in wait for him at their destination.

Vos, an assassin trained by the oldest and most secretive of the Tienene orders, has instructions to head east, to deal with the Untaran renegade Maurin once and for all. When her band crosses paths with a squad of Bautrelli Warrior magi, she is forced to strike, setting in motion a desperate race that will decide the future of countless lives.

Blarg!

#24 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

I'd read it :p

one thing struck me, is Untaran the word for a denizen of Unta or Untara ? (cause unta seems awfully familiar ....:D)

#25 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

I've written a novel of about 450,000 words. It was meant as the first part of a trilogy, and I am part way through the second book. I'm not so fussed about getting it published, I just have an idea in my head and think it will make a good story so I want to put it down. I have the second and third books mapped out already, but, since I started the first book many years ago, I have since changed my mind about certain aspects, and matured in my writing, and may end up changing some of it.
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#26 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

thats always bad - i had written most of two books in a trilogy and then on rewrite totally changed most of it :D now i hit the wall and cant seem to motivate myself totry and get back on track.

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

If I had written an entire book, that my friends would call "okay", I'd get that thing published and if it sold, especially in as big a market as the english speaking countries, I'd quit what ever else I was doing and start writing full time.

Of course, I have yet to actually write an actual chapter in my work. That's still some way away...

Oh those dreams.

#28 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

acompleted chapter for me would be good also, I've mapped the story, the key points and other random bits that a relavent but fleshing it from disjointed scenes into chapters eludes me currently.
I don't realy have time with all the work I do :D

#29 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

Macros;338396 said:

I'd read it :D

one thing struck me, is Untaran the word for a denizen of Unta or Untara ? (cause unta seems awfully familiar ....:p)

Ha!

It's Untaris.

#30 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

Macros;338515 said:

acompleted chapter for me would be good also, I've mapped the story, the key points and other random bits that a relavent but fleshing it from disjointed scenes into chapters eludes me currently.
I don't realy have time with all the work I do :p

You guys need to just sit down and do some writing :D It's painful at first, but it gets easier with time... if you plan forever, it'll all be for nothing as it won't get written :p

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:42 PM

Yellow;338369 said:

If I could sell it, it would be 'king ace :p

Thanks for taking an interest though, Apt. What's it about? Ah, this is where I hit the snag. I'm terrible at the plot summary thing. Here goes.

It's the first part of an epic (ish) fantasy, in which the last, failing remnants of two great armies are heading for a final confrontation on the other side of the world. It's told from the POVs of soldiers on both sides, plus the assassins and mages who follow in their wake.

Yeah, that pretty much sucked :D Here's the longer blurb I wrote a while ago for each of the main POV characters. Not great, but a bit better I think.

Merophen Pir, commander of the west's most powerful army, is in pursuit of the last, defeated forces of the renegade warlord Garrum Maurin, his most bitter rival and oldest friend. When Maurin is offered the power to once again threaten the Councils, Pir follows him across ice and oceans, to where he must conquer his own inner demons if the world is to survive.

Yanish Ulor - a lowly Untaran footsoldier in Maurin's bedraggled army - is struggling to survive through Maurin's last, desperate gamble. When help arrives unexpectedly and in number, Yanish must follow in his lord's blood-drenched wake to the unknown and inhospitable east, where the last promise of glory rests.

Treris Orme is a young and gifted Warrior mage on his first mission away from the temple, discovering the difference between the training yard and the world beyond. When Orme’s band is attacked by assassins in the jungles of Balerios, it becomes clear there is much about their mission he hasn't been told, nor what lies in wait for him at their destination.

Vos, an assassin trained by the oldest and most secretive of the Tienene orders, has instructions to head east, to deal with the Untaran renegade Maurin once and for all. When her band crosses paths with a squad of Bautrelli Warrior magi, she is forced to strike, setting in motion a desperate race that will decide the future of countless lives.

Blarg!

It does sound interesting. Already now I'm itching to know what lies at the end of the journey. What it is that Warlord Maurim seeks.

I wonder if it's one of those things where you should be carefull what you ask for.

#32 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Yellow;338369 said:

Hey, that sounds interesting. Now, if you can create some intriguing characters (my problem) and write some good battle scenes, you should be able to make it work. :D

#33 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

I put pen to paper again for the first time in weeks there. 5 minutes resulted in 5 lines, that I hate and want to burn, I know whats going toh appen but the manner in which it will happen is frustratingly beyond my grasp currently.

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

"Your entire plan for saving the world rests on us getting help from a dragon. A castle sized, fire-breathing, centuries old, people-eating, dragon."
"More like fortress-sized, but yes."
"Does this fortress-sized dragon speak any language we would understand?"
"Umm... good question, we didn't really converse last time we met."
"What did you do?"
"I was trying to assassinate him."
"Since he's alive, I guess it didn't go well."
"Actually, i had him at my mercy. It was a highlight of my career as an assassin."
"Why didn't you finish him?"
"Dragons do this thing when they die... it's hard to explain, but maybe you've seen the large hole in the ground where the South Mountain Range used to be?"

- Abyss, will finish that story eventually.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#35 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

lol, I'm intrigued by this abyss, please do finish that story eventually :D

I contiued with my writing and produced a page of satisfactory words, only to discover a considerably similar page already existed in the "macros incredably slow writting project" file. m'neh, I need to get writting software and not pen and paper, I re-do to many things

#36 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

Aptorian;338612 said:

It does sound interesting. Already now I'm itching to know what lies at the end of the journey. What it is that Warlord Maurim seeks.

I wonder if it's one of those things where you should be carefull what you ask for.

Ah, you'll have to wait and see :p

You should get some of your stuff written up, it sounds fascinating. Have you read Iain M Banks latest book, Matter? It has a similar onion-layered world like the one you describe (he calls them shellworlds, I think). You might find it useful inspiration :D

#37 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

Yellow;338816 said:

Ah, you'll have to wait and see :p

You should get some of your stuff written up, it sounds fascinating. Have you read Iain M Banks latest book, Matter? It has a similar onion-layered world like the one you describe (he calls them shellworlds, I think). You might find it useful inspiration :D

Or crushingly depressive that someone got to your idea first. Cheers!:p
Error: Signature not valid

#38 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

Yellow;338369 said:

Here's the longer blurb I wrote a while ago for each of the main POV characters. Not great, but a bit better I think.

Very good, actually. Depending on the cover that goes with the blurb, I think I would buy this one after a brief inspection in a bookshop.
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

#39 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;338830 said:

Or crushingly depressive that someone got to your idea first. Cheers!:D

Well, ideas are ideas, as people on writing boards are always likely to point out. It's all about the execution. I'm sure Apt's world will be very different from Banks'. Especially since it's not sf (even though it sounds like it).

I keep getting ideas for my second book, which is kind of pissing me off at the moment, because I'm really keen to start writing it (I've had the prologue planned for more than a year), but I still have to finish this damn first one. At least it gives me plenty of time to plan the rest of the book in my head while I'm falling asleep at night. Best time for ideas, that, I find.

#40 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

Dag;338833 said:

Very good, actually. Depending on the cover that goes with the blurb, I think I would buy this one after a brief inspection in a bookshop.

Much appreciated :D I think I would write the blurb for the back of the book somewhat differently, as this one was a specific section for each character... but it's good to hear that I'm on the right track.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users