• You cannot reply to this topic

Your Works-in-Progress

#81 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:04 AM

View PostGrimhilde, on Jan 21 2009, 08:47 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on Jun 21 2008, 08:58 PM, said:

Oh and of course there's human armies blowing the crap out of barbarians with canons and riffles, giant machines and prehistoric demons trampling cities, dragons fighting UFOs, Giants wrestling T-rex's, Gods getting drunk and naughty, etc... and evil chickens, lots and lots of evil chickens :)

I would totally read that book!

I know!

Basically I'm including every scene I can think up that I wanted to read in a fantasy book. Problem is getting it to sound credible.

#82 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

View PostAptorian, on Jan 21 2009, 09:04 AM, said:

Oh and of course there's human armies blowing the crap out of barbarians with canons and riffles, giant machines and prehistoric demons trampling cities, dragons fighting UFOs, Giants wrestling T-rex's, Gods getting drunk and naughty, etc... and evil chickens, lots and lots of evil chickens :)

I know!

Basically I'm including every scene I can think up that I wanted to read in a fantasy book. Problem is getting it to sound credible.

What about an inter-species love story?

Btw, here are some of my stories:

Übermensch- Or the Story of What Curiosity Did to the Cat.

A story about a girl who finds herself the captive of a strange organization after an unfortunate run-in with her boyfriend’s mistress. The organization is really a group of former soldiers, criminals and homeless people who have had experiments conducted on them by the evil VyroCorp.

Our girl quickly becomes entangled in their plans of revenge and discovers that she is not who she seems.

In the City of Bleeding Lights (posted first chapter on this forum)

Two brothers find themselves wandering in an abandoned city with no recollection of what has happened. In their wake, a gathering darkness. Ahead of them, a trap ready to spring. And in the middle of everything; two thousand scared refugees looking for someone to save them.

The Beast and the Butterfly

A story of a slightly retarded vampire who falls in love with a mortal girl.
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#83 User is offline   Kalahinen 

• Sotijalo
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

I'm working on a "major" piece of work (I've been chiseling it since the mid-90s) that I currently call (and possibly "ultimately") by the simple name MYTHOLOGY. It is a story of human culture/nature in a different world, mixed with mythical ingredients (also from real-world mythologies, and particularly Finnish) but basic themes.

I'm writing it piece by piece, but the whole thing is just so vast, and I often feel incapable of writing down all the things I build in my imagination.

#84 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

View PostGrimhilde, on Jan 21 2009, 08:58 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on Jan 21 2009, 09:04 AM, said:

Oh and of course there's human armies blowing the crap out of barbarians with canons and riffles, giant machines and prehistoric demons trampling cities, dragons fighting UFOs, Giants wrestling T-rex's, Gods getting drunk and naughty, etc... and evil chickens, lots and lots of evil chickens ;)

I know!

What about an inter-species love story?

Never mind that, have an interspecies UFO racing championship!

Also the evil chicken king should be based on me.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#85 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

I started this for the Great Malazan Short Story contest, but forgot to finish it.

This is the intro / back cover blurb.

"The peninsular nation of Sepul is set upon by two invading armies. Intermittent tensions having escalated; paltry tensions over trade in furs, fishing rights, and the harassing of immigrants have escalated into full-blown holy war. The expansionist Aestor and cloistered Retorians have declared holy war; war among nations, war between the Cult of The Flesh and the followers of the All-God. Sepul’s ancient Cult of the Flesh has been attracting pilgrims of all kinds, from across the Great Continent, to the great ire of the mere decades old church of the All-God. Each year they pour down the River Mer, and trek on foot to the great holy city of Yorei, the blood city. To Aestor and Retoria, the pilgrims have been economically beneficial for ages, the ebb and flow of the seasons of worship have funded profitable rest stops, provisioning enterprises, and caravan guards.

But the fiery church of the All-God has finally gained enough influence to cut off the flow of pilgrims and, by extension, coin along the vital trade routes. Sepul, unable to abide by a gross violation of their long-respected rights of passage, declares war, in a near-futile gesture of piety. The vast maritime nation of Napres, pledged to their aid, hesitates. As the armies of the faithful march, can any faith survive?"

It's going to be a fairly short (thinking 10 pages max) story with a potential follow-up.

Plot summary:

Bad shit goes down
Badder shit goes down
Crazy shit goes down
OMGWTFBBQ
Deep Breath
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#86 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Continuing with the third draft of my book. Just did a chapter immediately after finishing Judging Eye, and everything I wrote seems to have this taste of dogshit about it :respect: Sadness.

I'm going to finish the draft (up to chap 17 out of 24), then put it away for a while and start the sequel. I'll come back to it in a couple of months and see if I still think it's dogshit. Some scenes read great... others not so much.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#87 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Third draft finished. The last few chapters felt pretty good. I'm gonna start the second book now and come back in a couple of months and do another draft. Essentially some scenes need to be completely rewritten, but not as many as I'd feared.

Now where the hell did I leave all my notes? :harhar:

#88 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Whoo just finished first draft of Hypocrite's Haven. Then, skimming back, I realized that there were several blank spots, including characters that were very important at the beginning only to disappear...

Looks like I'll be another week or two before I can start revising.
And I still need to write the mafia short story before the submission deadline in 2 weeks. :harhar:

#89 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

Congrats on the complete draft, though :harhar:

#90 User is offline   Sixty 

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

Thanks. :harhar:

#91 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

Arhh. I have to begin Writting again...

I wish I was writting in english then I could at least post progress here.

#92 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

View PostAptorian, on Feb 7 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

Arhh. I have to begin Writting again...

I wish I was writting in english then I could at least post progress here.

What are you writing in? Danish?

I can read that:)

And Sixty: Congrats!

#93 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:13 AM

i can understand danish too (writen better than spoken) so just post /pm what ever, if brynjar and gem can aslo probably understand danish (woho for scandinavians)
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#94 User is offline   GanoesSavesTheWorld 

• Corporal

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:23 AM

LAWLZ! I can't wait to read this one. It's going to take the world by storm and have a movie made after, guranteed!

#95 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

View PostGanoesSavesTheWorld, on Feb 25 2009, 02:23 AM, said:

LAWLZ! I can't wait to read this one. It's going to take the world by storm and have a movie made after, guranteed!

That's what I'm aiming for :D

But I'm not sure if it is a funny story yet, or a tragic one. It could go either way...or I could just do both; a funny and a tragic version. Might be good exercise:P

#96 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

Just spent a bit of time reading through this thread - wow, there is certainly no shortage of great ideas out there. However, what I do sense is an awful lot of worrying and hesitation. So here is my little slice of advice - stop worrying and start writing.
Is this a cliche? Is it overused?
Perhaps, but there is nothing new under the sun, just concentrate on writing a good story with interesting characters.
What if it is crap? What if my writing is rubbish?
That's what the delete key is for :D and you will get better the more you do it - read lots, and lots and lots of quality books of good variety. This way you can learn what works, what's good and what's not ('hey, I love Glen Cook's characters, how does he do that?' and 'wow, Goodkind's plots are so complex' - ok, the second quote is for comic effect)
My world is not ready! It's not fully developed yet!
So, start writing and do it as you go. You will almost certainly find that the details will leap to mind as your characters move around and encounter your world. The world will continue to develop as yor characters explore it - enjoy it!
I don't have time!
What's the rush? Just write when you can, relax and enjoy it!

I realise some people (like me) dream of getting published but are not truly bothered about it, and some are desperate to get published. Personally, as I have said before, I don't write to get published, I write because I love to write and create. This world of mine, the people in it, their loves and hopes and fears and the dangers they face are all down to me. Will they live or die? I don't know yet - I may think they are essential and find them suddenly in an impossible situation from which the cannot escape - do they die? Well, yes, anything else would be contrived and deceitful.

I am well into my second book and have written large chunks of others as well as huge amounts of ideas, notes, maps, short stories (character backgrounds) and so on to help but it has taken me 12 or so years. No rush.

Do it because you must :D

What are you waiting for?
Victory is mine!

#97 User is offline   Sixty 

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:04 AM

Woot, finished my second draft! =D

Currently working on revising the prologue / first couple chapters, which I don't really like very much...also not too good at the more emotional/sad scenes. :)

My plan at the moment:
draft 1: basic story
2: general rewrite
3: smooth out prose, rewrite bad scenes, scene-setting (more detail), character mannerisms/details/emotion shown between dialogue, etc.
4: dialogue, smooth out prose
5: print out, read and revise on paper
6: go go advance readers

Then hopefully I can somehow manage to get published. =D

#98 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

View PostSixty, on Mar 9 2009, 03:04 AM, said:

Currently working on revising the prologue / first couple chapters, which I don't really like very much...also not too good at the more emotional/sad scenes. :)

My plan at the moment:
3: smooth out prose, rewrite bad scenes, scene-setting (more detail), character mannerisms/details/emotion shown between dialogue, etc.

congrats!

Wow, some plan you've got there!

#99 User is offline   Sixty 

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

View PostGrimhilde, on Mar 9 2009, 03:41 AM, said:

View PostSixty, on Mar 9 2009, 03:04 AM, said:

My plan at the moment:

congrats!

Wow, some plan you've got there!

:p Thanks!

Now just to juggle that, school, mafia, and now civ iv... :p

#100 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

Nice one, sixty. How did the thing turn out on a re-read, compared to how you imagined/planned it?

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users