• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eurovision

#1 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

So it's time to put in your earplugs and wince along with the bloated Eurovision contest again...

Last year Verda Sedushka narrowly missed out on winning for Ukraine with Dansen!. I'm tipping the Ukranians to go one better this year and win with this.

Of course, the best song last year was actually Israel, but it didn't get out of the semi :p.

Apparently the BBC thinks Sweden will win, but somehow I doubt it. See their thoughts here.

So, anyone remotely interested in watching people from all over Europe make fools of themselves in a week's time?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#2 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

I've been lumped with Sweden as my country, because the other slighty-danish person got them first:( I need to find a long blonde wig and viking helmet combo.

Our drinking games this year seem fairly similar to any other year, to be honest. Drink everytime the hosts laugh simultaneously, any time Terry makes fun of foreigners, any time someone sings in not-their-native-language, everytime england gets nul points or your country gets douze, and so on and so forth.

Wasted times will be had by all :p
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

I know nothing about it. except that those Frakkers preempt Doctor Who this Saturday because of it. Booo!!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

I can't understand why they still have it, everyone trys to lose on purpose so they don't have to host it.
I AM A TWAT

#5 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

The Eastern Europeans take it more seriously...brings them prestige etc. It's just the Western European nations who don't try any more, and that's because the way the voting system is set up they have absolutely no chance of winning.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

Lordi winning was one of the most awesomely hilarious things I ever saw.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:01 PM

Of course, the semi-finals they have separate the traditional friend-voters from each other, but I doubt that will really have any serious effect on the results.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#8 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:54 PM

*sigh* Eurovision is my ultmiate guilty pleasure. It is the one night of the year that I will ignore my immense musical knowledge, snobbery and elitism and enjoy listening to crap. I cannot wait. I haven't heard any of the songs yet, but I don't care. I am going to a party where people have been told to where something that represents the country you're voting for... I guess I will wear my Opeth T Shirt and go for Sweden. :p
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

Im hosting a good old fashioned traditional (for Brighton at least) camp-filled-fun Eurovision party, and I do believe Im going as Germany. Lederhosen shall be worn.

#10 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

Thelomen Toblerone said:

Im hosting a good old fashioned traditional (for Brighton at least) camp-filled-fun Eurovision party, and I do believe Im going as Germany. Lederhosen shall be worn.

Pictures or it didn't... actually, on second thoughts, please don't post any pictures! PLEASE!!!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

I'm not bothered about Eurovision...does that make me odd? :p

#12 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:07 AM

No. I know loads of people who hate it. I guess I have watched it all my life, and it has become a tradition. :p
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:58 AM

Every year I think I've seen and heard all. But again every year, I can conclude that, no, no I haven't. I was quite mistaken. There actually was an even more horrible performance out there, waiting for me to climb the walls to. In an absurd way it's somewhat fascinating.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#14 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:15 AM

I couldn't stop laughing when i heard that Dustin The Turkey (A legendary puppet from kids TV) was going to represent Ireland.
I haven't heard the song, but knowing the kind of piss take cover versions Dustin & Co. used to bring out at Christmas, I'm sure it's suitably horrible. And I see that some of the "serious" musicians who have represented Ireland in the past are very upset about it. Hooray.
Should be interesting ot see what Terry Wogan says about it.

I haven't seen the show in years, but I used to love watching the voting as a kid, since Ireland usually did alright.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#15 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:27 AM

Aww, how disappointing. I see that Ireland failed to qualify for the final of the Eurovision. I guess the rest of Europe wasn't quite ready for a singing turkey (Although the popular music charts have plenty of them..... go figure).

Did anyone here see the amazing Dustin in action? Was it as good as Father Ted's "My Lovely Horse"??

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#16 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:54 AM

Binder of Demons;312695 said:

Aww, how disappointing. I see that Ireland failed to qualify for the final of the Eurovision. I guess the rest of Europe wasn't quite ready for a singing turkey (Although the popular music charts have plenty of them..... go figure).

Did anyone here see the amazing Dustin in action? Was it as good as Father Ted's "My Lovely Horse"??

I've heard the song. It is absolutely atrocious. Makes my ears bleed.

Sir Thursday

#17 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:43 AM

Isn't that half the point though. Though this is the first time in a while that Ireland haven't at least gone with something musical, even if they stopped trying to win it once it nearly bankrupted them back in the 80s/early 90s.

#18 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

best eurovision entry ever

#19 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

i couldnt believe it when i seen it, was so bad it hurt.

some large woman going ireland ten points! over and over again.

SHUT UP!!!!

#20 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

I love Eurovision (as in so-bad-it's-good love, not real love, that would be wrong!). Each year, there is one country that just goes that extra mile to make it brilliantly awful. Like the Serbian men dressed as air-hostesses, the mad German rocker who climbed the set, a bunch one year dressed like Universal Soldiers... I can't remember any specifics as I've generally been plastered during the last decade of Eurovisions. All-in-all, it's a great night in!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users