• Last »

A Dance with Dragons Rate Topic: -----

#321 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • I like cake.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

carnage4u;348980 said:

i remeber at a book signing 2 years ago, someone asked him about dying before they were done. He does hate the question, but I think its a valid question all things considered (still rude, but valid) he basically said there are very few notes, only some family history stuff) the rest is in his head. he laughed and said we would all be screwed if he died.

There was only nervous laughter in response.

btw meeting him did rock.

Was he pompous at all?
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#322 User is offline   carnage4u 

• Recruit

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

not at all. he was very friendly. Ive met a handful of authors at conventions and book signing, and GRRM was really enjoyable to listen to. He didnt have any attitude or wasnt pompous at all. He always seemed to shy away when people told him how great he was. its like he donest believe he deserves the credit.

He does like to talk about his other projects and works..

He really like when people ask him questions about things no related to Game of thrones. I dont think he really expected that series to be what set the tone for what he is about. That might be why it doesnt get worked on as fast as we(the fans) would like.

I actually love some of his older works Fevre Dream is amazing

#323 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Stabro;348929 said:

I agree...as good as it is, it would still be incomplete and I don't think it would be the same if another author used his notes to finish it.

He's said that if he dies, another author will NOT be using his notes to finish, we're just out of luck.
Error: Signature not valid

#324 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hopefully after he returns from Europe we'll get the

"The Book is Done." post on his blog. Followed by some surly posts about how he shouldn't be pestered :p

#325 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

Optimus Prime;349064 said:

Hopefully after he returns from Europe in 2010 we'll get the

"The Book is Done." post on his blog. Followed by some surly posts about how he shouldn't be pestered :p

Corrected....:p
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#326 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

I think GRRM's attitude to ASoIaF versus his other works is that it's come at the tail end of what would be a highly successful career in different genres and mediums. He published A Game of Thrones thirty years after his first short story, won a truckload of awards inbetween and worked on two successful TV shows as well as the most popular non-tie-in 'shared word' series in history. So for him ASoIaF is an evolution and culmination of everything that came before and is best seen or appreciated in that light.

The idea of people reading ASoIaF and not caring about anything else he's written probably seems weird to him (as it does to me) as someone who has mainly been an SF and horror author. It's possibly a sign of the conservative nature of fantasy fans versus SF and horror ones. Series are much rarer in SF and horror, so if you like an author you get used to reading lots of different settings, worlds, characters and universes, whilst fantasy authors tend to have one signature setting and that's it, and if an author goes off to do something else readers seem to have this kneejerk reaction of, "Oh it's not another Deathsword novel? Fuck it, why would I read anything else?"

The irony here is that GRRM's best work is, IMO, Fevre Dream, A Song for Lya, his Tuf stories, Meathouse Man and The Skin Trade. My favourite part of ASoIaF is The Hedge Knight, which isn't even part of the main series. Investigating his other work is very worthwhile.

And a correction: if he 'falls under a bus' before completing the series, we are "Shit out of luck," as he put it.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#327 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

i think it just depends wert.. you look at douglas adams, orson scott card, lois mcmaster bujold, philip jose farmer, william gibson, etc and you get plenty of scifi series..

same goes for fantasy, guy g kay may write in the same world, but they are hardly a series. different settings, different characters, different stories, etc. glen cook has some standalones and some series, but hes got multiple successful franchises.

there are plenty of authors in each genre that do different things. just depends on whats going on at that point in time and how the book is designed.

not caring about his other works, standalone or otherwise, just points to the fact that a lot of them are in other genres. i'll read the dark tower series because the genre interests me, but king horror doesnt do it so much for me. ill read enders game because the genre interests me, but not alvin maker because the setting doesnt interest me. on the other hand, the hedge knight is just as appealing as asoiaf and i have hardcover copies of legends and legends II because of it along with the roaring comics comic

#328 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

I'm not really a sci-fi fan, so it's nothing personal against his other work. A personal choice.

#329 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

Optimus Prime;349141 said:

I'm not really a sci-fi fan, so it's nothing personal against his other work. A personal choice.

Yeah, if he wrote another fantasy series I'd read it, but scifi typically doesn't interest me.

#330 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

Optimus Prime;349141 said:

Fevre. Dream.

Go read it.

Way better than any SIF.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#331 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:37 PM

Fair enough, but The Ice Dragon is fantasy, the closest he did to epic fantasy before ASoIaF. The Skin Trade is urban fantasy.

And I don't particularly like horror, but Fevre Dream and The Armageddon Rag are both awesome. And GRRM's SF is heavily character-based, not gadget or technobabble-led which is what I find puts a lot of people off SF.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#332 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

Yeah, not so big on the technobabble. If grrm ever finishes aSoIaF, I might check out his other stuff. Until then, I think it will only encourage him to do other stuff if I read it.

#333 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;349183 said:

Yeah, not so big on the technobabble. If grrm ever finishes aSoIaF, I might check out his other stuff. Until then, I think it will only encourage him to do other stuff if I read it.

wow RLY, you have that much influence? I jest, don't hurt me, i'm only little.

but honestly though Wert, how many of the people who have read his other works were turned onto them by ASOIAF? probably a rather large chunk I would think.
meh. Link was dead :(

#334 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:29 AM

If his other stuff is flying off the shelves, he has no incentive to finish ASOIAF. Not that one person's purchases will make a difference or have any influence, but I'd prefer to not contribute to the problem. It's like voting, one person doesn't make a difference, but a lot of people do, and I'd prefer to part of the group that is doing the right thing.

#335 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:34 AM

I picked up "A Game Of Thrones" on a whim. Had never heard of GRRM before. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did it :p

He saved me from the dependence on Robert Jordan.

#336 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

I had never heard of him until coming on this forum.

#337 User is offline   Terminus Est 

• Corporal

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

My friend found A Game of Thrones in his toilet at home (doesn't know how it got there!), read it and recommended it.

This wait for A Dance with Dragons and the revelations it will (will!) contain is killing me, though.

#338 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

Remorseless Emperor;349414 said:

My friend found A Game of Thrones in his toilet at home (doesn't know how it got there!), read it and recommended it.

This wait for A Dance with Dragons and the revelations it will (will!) contain is killing me, though.

But if the book is awesome, we'll forget the wait....won't we?

#339 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hmm! Yes. i'm a bit concerned about the fact that aDwD supposedly runs parallel (in timeline terms) to the previous book... does that mean none of the cliff-hangers from aFfC's will be resolved until the NEXT book?!

#340 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

That is what it means. It's going to be great, but will do little to advance the plot along. Oh, people are going to howl.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

42 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 42 guests, 0 anonymous users