Malazan Empire: A Dance with Dragons - Malazan Empire

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

A Dance with Dragons Rate Topic: -----

#301 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:15 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;347142 said:

Shouldn't an author complete the book before going on a publicity tour?

It's probably for a special 2 page short story from WILD CARDS!

*fart noise*

#302 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, because that's what the world really needs right now.
Error: Signature not valid

#303 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;347164 said:

Yeah, because that's what the world really needs right now.

The world doesn't really need a Dance with Dragons, either.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#304 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

Yes we do.

#305 User is offline   Christopher 

• Corporal

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

Werthead;346702 said:

They announced the delay weeks ago. I mentioned it about 3 pages back on the thread.

Oh yeah, and the 'first draft' is more or less complete, as far as I can tell. GRRM drafts and rewrites each chapter individually rather than the whole book, but most of the released chapters have been thoroughly rewritten and redrafted.

Stand down soldier, I wasn't attacking the man, rather the practice of some companies who rather than cancel orders that they can't send, just make up some future date and keep your order on their books. Had problems with a book that I didn't receive for months and months and finally picked it up from a store. Of course the internet based company sent the book before I could cancel the order so it was pain in the ass.

I don't expect DWD anymore, only got excited for awhile because I did a reread of the series in anticipation of the book being released on the forecasted date. For all the talk of it almost being done and that subsequent books should come faster now that he's on track, none of them are written so there's no use expecting them any time soon.

#306 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

Ah, a fellow pessimist! Sweet!

#307 User is offline   Christopher 

• Corporal

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;347268 said:

Ah, a fellow pessimist! Sweet!

I guess my post is really pessimistic. :D I didn't mean that I'm not one day looking forward to reading the ASOIAF series in its glorious totality. Its just apparent that the series will be a long time in the finishing. Not a huge deal (as long as it does get finished) I've got a big pile of unread books awaiting my attention. Its just the anticipation and let down that tends to grate a bit...

#308 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

GRRM why have you forsaken us?!?!?!?!

#309 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;347274 said:

GRRM why have you forsaken us?!?!?!?!

He just screwed up. Nobody is perfect. He started the book planned a certain way...and then realized it wasn't going to work. At least he didn't publish an inferior product, he probably realized after aFfC (yes it was the worst in the series) he couldn't have two shit books in a row.

Like I said, the book will probably be better for it, what bothers me is GRRM's pompous attitude and his sleep causing diatribes about his trips to exotic places like....New Hampshire :D

#310 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hey, what's wrong with New Hampshire? "Live Free or Die" is one of the best state mottos ever. And it's the Granite State.

#311 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

AFfC wasn't shit. It wasn't even that big of a step down.

#312 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, it just wasn't a complete book, plus it didn't really move the story along very much...
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#313 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

the premise was instead of everyone running around just missing each other in the main land, they're all doing it overseas instead.

#314 User is offline   carnage4u 

• Recruit

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

GRRM books to me are some of the best books out there. It is because of reading his books I really expanded looking for other authors to interest me.

While I am annoyed at how long it takes him to write. I go to his blog every 30 minutes looking for an update, (even while hes out of the country) I am glad he writes slow because of that ive found Steve Erikson. I also got into Robin Hobb due to GRRM.

of course when you read robbin hobb or steve erikson, you can get annoyed at how slow GRRM is.. Of course he loves his side projects and keeps a busy life of 100 other things. I dont honestrly expect him to finish his series before he dies, which makes me sad, because I think a complete series by GRRM could probably be a masterpiece. He said he would post on his forum when the book is done, and since he has not, who knows how long it will be.

I dont believe other sources on when it will be done. Im sure its close, but honestly will it matter. he has two more books to write and I wouldnt expect them for 3 to 4 yours after dance is out. He just has to many hobbies to worry about a masterpiece book series.

#315 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

Geesh, the guy's only 60. Just because he's a corpulent fella, doesn't mean he's going to die before he's finished. With modern medicine what it is, I imagine he can make it to eighty. Both my grandfathers did and theirs was an era with far less technology.

Now, it might take him twenty years to get the last two books out...that I'm not denying. But I doubt it. I think once he gets the ball rolling towards the climax, he'll be more inclined to focus on ASoIaF than his myriad other endeavors.

Honestly, I don't even care all that much anymore. There are better authors out there who don't yank their fans around.

#316 User is offline   carnage4u 

• Recruit

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

heh
When you read how GRRM lives/eats and such. I just assume, it will take him 8 to 10 years to get the other books out. Hes a guy full of life and living, but very unhealthy. death is something i Just assume will happen before hes finished..

My only issue, is I have yet to find an author I enjoy MORE then GRRM. As mentioned, Im glad I discovered Robbin Hobb and Erikson. I consider both of them great, and Ive been reading others, but I cant find anyone better then GRRM, and the idea of the series not being finished just makes me sad.

#317 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

Anyone else think if he croaks before he finishes, that might be it for him in the long run (as far as classics go)? I'd find it hard to think that despite how good ASoIaF is it could become timeless when it isn't complete. Good as it is, it isn't the Canterbury Tales.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#318 User is offline   Biggles 

• Stabro

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

wolf_2099;348906 said:

Anyone else think if he croaks before he finishes, that might be it for him in the long run (as far as classics go)? I'd find it hard to think that despite how good ASoIaF is it could become timeless when it isn't complete. Good as it is, it isn't the Canterbury Tales.

I agree...as good as it is, it would still be incomplete and I don't think it would be the same if another author used his notes to finish it.

#319 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

Stabro;348929 said:

I agree...as good as it is, it would still be incomplete and I don't think it would be the same if another author used his notes to finish it.

He has no notes, and no plans to write any. Therefore, no other author finishing it, or at least not as GRRM envisioned it.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#320 User is offline   carnage4u 

• Recruit

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:58 PM

wolf_2099;348950 said:

He has no notes, and no plans to write any. Therefore, no other author finishing it, or at least not as GRRM envisioned it.

i remeber at a book signing 2 years ago, someone asked him about dying before they were done. He does hate the question, but I think its a valid question all things considered (still rude, but valid) he basically said there are very few notes, only some family history stuff) the rest is in his head. he laughed and said we would all be screwed if he died.

There was only nervous laughter in response.

btw meeting him did rock.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

74 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 74 guests, 0 anonymous users