• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

A Dance with Dragons Rate Topic: -----

#281 User is offline   Kulp Diet 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:31 AM

I think he got really screwed up when he changed his mind about having the 5-year gap (in which to let Bran and Arya grow up a bit, give Dany some more time to grow in power before her launch, etc.). Now he has to kick the action into overdrive in a believeable way. This also makes me hopeful that when the books do start trickling out, they will move a lot faster than Brienne walking through the boonies.

#282 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:24 AM

Yeah, I've had my fill of Brienne for right now. Looking forward to the other POVs.
Error: Signature not valid

#283 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

One thing that does mildly piss me off is the number of people claiming the GRRM isn't working on the book and spends all his time watching football.

I don't have a huge amount of contact with GRRM, but I do swap emails regularly with Parris, and she isn't particularly crazy about the fact that her significant other is often up to some crazy time in the morning working on this book and has been for three years straight. Then people who have no idea about the situation turn round can call him lazy or say that he doesn't care about the series or the fans, which is very far from the truth.

It is closer to the situation when people criticise him for being too much of a perfectionist, or not letting go of a book or a chapter that any other author would be ecstatic with, or that perhaps all this second-guessing of himself isn't helpful (as could be argued was one of the problems with AFFC), but the only author I know of who was more of a perfectionist was Tolkien, and that didn't work out too badly for him in the end.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#284 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Werthead;339257 said:

One thing that does mildly piss me off is the number of people claiming the GRRM isn't working on the book and spends all his time watching football.

I don't have a huge amount of contact with GRRM, but I do swap emails regularly with Parris, and she isn't particularly crazy about the fact that her significant other is often up to some crazy time in the morning working on this book and has been for three years straight. Then people who have no idea about the situation turn round can call him lazy or say that he doesn't care about the series or the fans, which is very far from the truth.

My post, at least, is tongue-in-cheek, and you're that bit closer to the source so i'll take your werd for it, but one way or the other, there's a very clear fact line here: he's doing a lot of stuff that isn't SIF related and the delay between SIF books doesn't seem to be shrinking. That's his god-given right and i will fight (ok, argue with mild intensity) to protect it, BUT, that doesn't change the fact that he seems to be producing product that is not SIF, and it's that, i suspect, that gets the fans riled.

Personally, hey, there are lots of awesome authors out there. We won't die.

- Abyss, often speculates how much it would suck to die before a much loved series is completed... would your ghost haunt bookstores, clutching feebly at pages you can't touch, reading over people's shoulders and moaning in ghostly agony when they always stop just before the bit you haven't read yet... :eek:
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#285 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

@Wert - Like it or not, GRRM is something of a celebrity in SFF circles and as such he's subject to the same type of rampant gossip and parodying as any celebrity. Yes, I'm sure he has his reasons for taking so long, and I'm sure to him they're quite valid, but that won't stop the rest of us from having a little fun at his expense. When all is said and done, his book is still going to fly off the shelves.

Lighten up.

#286 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Werthead;339257 said:

but the only author I know of who was more of a perfectionist was Tolkien, and that didn't work out too badly for him in the end.

except the part where he died before completing all the work he had set to complete.

noones saying that martin doesnt have the right to be a slow old bastard, but some people are justifiably frustrated at the delays when we're told of these deadlines he has with his publisher that are routinely missed. without the fans, he wouldnt have the money or time to write the books. when you make the impression that you're always busy doing this or that and most of it is not related to the book it bothers the fans because he comes off as disinterested in his masterwork of sorts. and with jordan passing before he finished and the pace grrm is setting, you have to worry about martin doing the same now. not a pleasant prospect.

you have to remember that just like any "spectator sport", martin would be nothing without his fans. if you dont respect your fans, eventually its going to bite you in the butt. if he wants fans to know hes working at 3am and his wife is pissed at him perhaps he should say that rather than "im going to so and so con, to this football game, fishing, europe, BFE, etc" because at this point it just looks like disinterest.

to sum up wert, he is the primary source of what we think hes doing. he doesnt show us anything that hes focused on adwd. he shows us that hes got a thousand other things to do. perhaps you should bring that up with him if you are annoyed because its ultimately the image he has shown the world through his website and various interviews. you cant say the same about, say, glen cook because noone knows what the hell hes doing. he doesnt have a blog or a multitude of recent interviews or a tv show or comic books and his books arent necessarily coming out in erikson timetables either

#287 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Christopher;338952 said:

. . . He's probably amongst the first authors to get the such intense internet scrutiny of a series while its still in progress (Jordan would have been first I'd guess).

When I was in High School I worked at a Waldenbooks. Even before Jordan, there was a dedicated fan base waiting for Jean Auel's next book (author of Clan of the Cave Bear). I remember getting asked a few times a year, "what happened, did she die?" Steven King also had a lot of people waiting for the Dark Tower series to wrap up, but by that time Jordan was over the 1 year per book release time.

I stopped going to Martin's blog. I don't want to see all the extra stuff he's doing. I'll just wait for the release date. It's easier for me this way.

#288 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

acesn8s;339436 said:

I stopped going to Martin's blog. I don't want to see all the extra stuff he's doing. I'll just wait for the release date. It's easier for me this way.

That's the point I'm at at this point. As mentioned above, my feelings that he's more interested in other things comes from the info he provides. Wert, thanks for the info that he's actually hard at work. That helps.

#289 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

GRRM sux lulz!

Jk. Seriously. He's only mortal.
I mean, don't neg-rep me...
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#290 User is offline   Astra 

• Sony Reader PRS-650

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

A few minutes ago I received an interesting email from amazon.co.uk.

We wanted to give you an update on the status of your order #xxxxxx.

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we
need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

George R.R. Martin (Author) "A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and
Fire)" [Hardcover]
Estimated arrival date: 15/04/09 - 21/04/09

We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Only Two Things Are Infinite, The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm Not Sure About The Former.
Albert Einstein

#291 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

...WHAT

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#292 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

Since when is amazon ever accurate?

I've been waiting on my Scott Lynch book for a long while and I don't even think it's gotten aprroved for publishing.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#293 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

Astra;346182 said:

A few minutes ago I received an interesting email from amazon.co.uk.

Sounds overly optimistic to me.

#294 User is offline   Christopher 

• Corporal

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:19 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;346303 said:

Sounds overly optimistic to me.

Sounds like a stab in the dark. How can they even come up with a realistic timetable when the book isn't finished the first draft yet and the author isn't writing right now? I guess putting down some kind of date rather than just 'unknown' has a better chance of keeping the fish on the hook.

#295 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

They announced the delay weeks ago. I mentioned it about 3 pages back on the thread.

Oh yeah, and the 'first draft' is more or less complete, as far as I can tell. GRRM drafts and rewrites each chapter individually rather than the whole book, but most of the released chapters have been thoroughly rewritten and redrafted.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#296 User is offline   Astra 

• Sony Reader PRS-650

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Werthead;346702 said:

They announced the delay weeks ago. I mentioned it about 3 pages back on the thread.

Sorry Wert. I didn't follow the thread just wanted to share the news when I received the email.
Only Two Things Are Infinite, The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm Not Sure About The Former.
Albert Einstein

#297 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

Werthead;346702 said:

Oh yeah, and the 'first draft' is more or less complete, as far as I can tell. GRRM drafts and rewrites each chapter individually rather than the whole book, but most of the released chapters have been thoroughly rewritten and redrafted.

Your defense of GRRM is admirable Wert, but whatever you are selling we aren't buying :D

April '09? I'll be surprised if it is here, but I'm not going to stress. Gives me time to spend on other interests, for after RotCG I'm going on Fantasy Hiatus for awhile.

#298 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

I hope GRRM is having fun in Portugal....or the Czech Republic, or fucking Mars for all we know.

#299 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

Optimus Prime;347135 said:

I hope GRRM is having fun in Portugal....or the Czech Republic, or fucking Mars for all we know.

Hey, the man doesn't have a ton of time to live, he 's gotta enjoy what little time he has left!
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#300 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Shouldn't an author complete the book before going on a publicity tour?

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

33 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users