Malazan Empire: A Dance with Dragons - Malazan Empire

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

A Dance with Dragons Rate Topic: -----

#241 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:43 AM

Good points.

I'm strictly an aSoIaF fan, so of course I don't want him to pay any more attention to his other projects :mad:

Hopefully once aDwD is done he'll re-energize himself on aSoIaF. I'm just hoping this long period for books 4 and 5 is an anomaly and books 6 and 7 come out much quicker.

#242 User is offline   Christopher 

• Corporal

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:45 AM

Gabriele;335480 said:

I have Dreamsongs on my To Buy list. Wild Cards isn't the sort of fiction that interests me, unfortunately, or I'd get several books to help me over the waiting. And I'm looking forward to the Dying Earth anthology.

So one reader's Too Many Projects is another's Hey Fun, More Books. :mad:

I hope Wild Cards isn't indicative of how ASoIaF is going to go. I remember eagerly awaiting new installments, even as the quality deteriorated. Then when the release of new books became erratic I lost all interest. Have no desire to even try getting back into that series now.

Why does Dying Earth need another anthology? Wasn't The Complete Dying Earth enough? Jack Vance didn't write any more stories after that did he?

#243 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:08 AM

I think the new one is all other authors writing in Vance's world....

Jack Vance has been a seminal figure in the development of modern fantasy, so much so that it’s nearly impossible to imagine the genre as we know it today existing without him. In the course of his more than fifty-year career, he has published dozens of major novels, as well as collections filled with marvelously crafted stories, winning the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Edgar Award, the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America, and several World Fantasy Awards, including the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award. Vance’s masterpiece, The Dying Earth, may be the most influential fantasy novel of the Twentieth Century, surpassed only by J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy, it has not only inspired several generations of fantasy novelists, but its influence has reached deep into the realms of graphic novels, comics, fantasy role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, and even computer gaming.

Today, in order to honor the magnificent career of Jack Vance, one unparalleled in achievement and impact, GEORGE R.R. MARTIN and GARDNER DOZOIS, with the full cooperation of Jack Vance, his family, and his agents, suggest a Jack Vance tribute anthology called Songs of the Dying Earth, to encourage the best of today’s fantasy writers to return to the unique and evocative milieu of The Dying Earth, from which they and so many others have drawn so much inspiration, to create their own brand-new adventures in the world of Jack Vance’s greatest novel.

Half a century ago, Jack Vance created the world of the Dying Earth, and fantasy has never been the same. Now, for the first time ever, Jack has agreed to open this bizarre and darkly beautiful world to other fantasists, to play in as their very own. To say that other fantasy writers are excited by this prospect is a gross understatement; one has told us that he’d crawl through broken glass for the chance to write for the anthology, another that he’d gladly give up his right arm for the privilege — that’s the kind of regard in which Jack Vance and The Dying Earth are held by generations of his peers.

Authors — stories in hand:

Robert Silverberg
Terry Dowling
Glen Cook
Tanith Lee
Liz Williams
Kage Baker
Elizabeth Moon

Authors — slated to contribute:

Neil Gaiman
Dan Simmons
Elizabeth Hand
Matt Hughes
Mike Resnick
Phyllis Eisenstein
Paula Volsky
Howard Waldrop
Tad Williams
Walter Jon Williams
John C. Wright
Lucius Shepard

#244 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:12 AM

And I don't think those authors will require a helluva editing. :mad:

#245 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:35 AM

OK, we're done talking about his weight. The reason it came up in the first place was discussing if his health would allow him to finish at this pace, which while morbid, is relevant. We've covered it though, so time to move on.

I disagree with the statement that an author owes nothing to his readers. He owes his career to his readers. I think it's reasonable for those readers to feel let down when an eagerly awaited book is several years overdue, and shows no signs of being finished.
Error: Signature not valid

#246 User is offline   Christopher 

• Corporal

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:32 AM

Slumgullion Spitteler;335490 said:

I think the new one is all other authors writing in Vance's world....

That does sound good. I look forward to that book as well.

#247 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

I don't agree that an author owes nothing to his readers, but it's not like GRRM has entirely given up on the series or done the opposite and churned out crap for the sake of it. He is working on Dance, he's just doing other stuff too. It works both ways. He owes his fame, but not his life. As someone before stated, we do have the choice not to read any more.

Christopher also mentioned the gap between the last two books possibly being an anomaly - I think that's entirely possible, too. We all know how he started writing an entirely different book set later in the future, then realised it wasn't working, filled in the gap, but split that book in half. Took time. Bearing in mind too that Feast wasn't up to series standard, and he's making damn well sure that he's polishing this one.

I like that he's being honest, got to say.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#248 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

polishgenius;335720 said:

As someone before stated, we do have the choice not to read any more.

At the moment, we don't have any other choice!
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#249 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:32 PM

The only person a writer needs to satisfy is the writer. This is true of any artist. Of course I am stretching here implying that GRRM is an artist (and no, I'm not interested in a discussion about what constitutes art).

The idea that any writer owes something to the fans takes a commercial relationship and twists it into an ethical one. You agree it is a commercial relationship ("He owes his career to his readers"). Given that this relationship is an economic one, are you implying that we are creditors holding GRRM's debt?

And let's not think about how bad GRRM and, for that matter, SE's books would be if they thought too much about their relationship with the fans. We like these writers because they surprise us, because they have a different vision, because their craft moves us. Keeping us in mind would probably limit their vision. I know you don't want this to happen.

I'm as impatient as anyone. I'm just happy I have shelves of books I want to read this summer.

#250 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

I wouldn't say we hold his debt ,(or drink his milkshake) that's a little stronger than the point i was trying to make.

I don't know, I just want to read the damn book.

#251 User is offline   Christopher 

• Corporal

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;335871 said:

I wouldn't say we hold his debt ,(or drink his milkshake)

:mad:

"Here George, if you have a book with blank pages, and I have a book with blank pages, and I have a pen. There it is, that's a pen, you see? You watching George?. And my pen reaches acroooooooss the desk, and starts to write your book... I... write... your... book!"

#252 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

"I'd like you to tell me that you are a false author... I'd like you to tell me that you are, and have been, a false author... and that A Dance With Dragons is a superstition." :mad:

#253 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

Okay, so barring a late announcement tomorrow on the website before he leaves for Europe, or GRRM changing the habit of a lifetime and writing whilst on holiday, he didn't hit the deadline.

And probably not unrelated to this, Voyager have pushed the UK release for the book back to 6 April 2009. I would expect Bantam to follow suit.

Not unexpected, but I think a lot of people were holding out a hope he'd scrape through.

Sigh. We'll now see the next Lynch and possibly the next Rothfuss books before we see ADWD.

After getting disappointed at this news I went back and contrasted the 'old' second Jon chapter with the 'new' one and noted how much more awesome the new one is. If that is indicative of the quality of the rest of the book, then the wait will be worth it. But I was still hoping to get the book this year.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#254 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:40 AM

Werthead;336044 said:

Okay, so barring a late announcement tomorrow on the website before he leaves for Europe, or GRRM changing the habit of a lifetime and writing whilst on holiday, he didn't hit the deadline.

And probably not unrelated to this, Voyager have pushed the UK release for the book back to 6 April 2009. I would expect Bantam to follow suit.

Not unexpected, but I think a lot of people were holding out a hope he'd scrape through.

It just proves the old saying, keep your expectations low and you won't often be disappointed.

#255 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

Werthead;336044 said:

Sigh. We'll now see the next Lynch and possibly the next Rothfuss books before we see ADWD.

And given Lynch's silence lately it's not looking good for him. Rothfuss disappointed me so that's small consolation.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#256 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Dagger;336385 said:

And given Lynch's silence lately it's not looking good for him. Rothfuss disappointed me so that's small consolation.

The completed draft of The Republic of Thieves was handed in months ago. It's only coming out in February because he missed his deadline, similar to the situation with Erikson and The Bonehunters.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#257 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

Werthead;336422 said:

The completed draft of The Republic of Thieves was handed in months ago. It's only coming out in February because he missed his deadline, similar to the situation with Erikson and The Bonehunters.

It's nice to see someone at least does his job, even if a tad late.

Why would it end up getting pushed back so far? Just because they weren't sure when he would finish so they gave him a ton of time, and they don't bother to try and rush it out any faster? Hopefully giving him more time on the next book?
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#258 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

Werthead;336044 said:

After getting disappointed at this news I went back and contrasted the 'old' second Jon chapter with the 'new' one and noted how much more awesome the new one is. If that is indicative of the quality of the rest of the book, then the wait will be worth it. But I was still hoping to get the book this year.

GRRM is your favorite author, at least Fantasy, eh Wert? It's pretty obvious. :D

No big surprise. GRRM missed it and we wait almost a year more now...oh well.....So we'll get 2 more Erikson books maybe before we see aDwD? (Counting TtH). This may be a good thing because after TtH and RotCG, i planned on taking a break from fantasy for a while if GRRM wasn't ready. Need to write more and I can't write when I'm reading awesome fantasy...it....seeps into my writing.

Alright George...let's see what you're made of. This book better be awesome.

#259 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

wolf_2099;337309 said:

Why would it end up getting pushed back so far? Just because they weren't sure when he would finish so they gave him a ton of time, and they don't bother to try and rush it out any faster? Hopefully giving him more time on the next book?

Publishers have slots for their authors. They usually release so and so many Fantasy / Mainstream / Crime Fiction / whatever books a month, and if they planned for a book to be out in say, November and needed the manuscript in March, they can't just move the book to December because they got the manuscript in April, but have to move it to the next avaliable slot, which may be March 2009 or so.

I wonder if some other author got the empty slot; it happens that manuscripts are in early (yes, it does) or that some other author can finish earlier if asked. Or maybe a newcomer with an already finshed book due spring 2009 will get a chance in November.

#260 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

Werthead;336422 said:

Didn't Erikson make the deadline but there was some confusion over the maps? I'm probably wrong here, but I remember summat...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

70 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 70 guests, 0 anonymous users