• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Fist Paran?

#21 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

There's two problems with that little theory.

1. The Master of the Deck doesn't need worship or blood or anything else. He's the superintendent of the deck, he makes sure that everything is running properly, that the tenants are behaving and makes ready for new residents.

2. If Paran becomes a god or takes up a position in the deck, he will no longer be neutral. It's like roleplaying games. It's not a good idea if you're both DMing and also playing the game, it's not fair. The other gods will turn on him like the FA did with the Errant.

#22 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

Very true but Worshiping the master of the deck isn't the choice of the master of the deck. Right?

If they worship him can he refuse the power it gives him? I just see it as something he would'nt have a say in.

Also not needing the power of worshippers is a relevant term. If he faces the crippled god (the ultimate rule breaker) he will need to be the ultimate enforcer. he may not afford to be pick about were extra reserves of power well from.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#23 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

Paran could reject Godhood like Rake, it's possible. Then there is no "connection" between his followers and himself, I'd like to see Paran reject Godhood when entities/people start to worship him.

The choice is entirely his as far as we can ascertain.

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:06 AM

Nobody can touch the CG it would seem, so worship won't help Paran. Fighting a god like the CG isn't in his jobdescription either. As long as the CG doesn't go corrupting everything again, the god is free to play the game. He's in the deck now as an unalligned and that's the Masters own fault.

#25 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

Yes I agree, its parans fault but just because the crippled God is sanctioned doesn't stop him from totally obeying the rules. Paran needs alliances that he can direct against the forces of the CG while others contain the CG himself (Gods Mael and kilmandaros and the rest) the power to the crippled God is readily available. I think its in paran and the worlds best interest to work together to stop him and those alligned with him. Paran isn't going to be semi-mortal for long. And many powerful ascendants are awakening and making themselves an issue. If paran is to be master of the deck and protect the deck itself he needs power and that comes from worshippers. at the end of the day thats were the battles are won...
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#26 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

Mentalist;310440 said:

nope.
Cutter/Crokus was the thief
Murillio was a nobleman and the "ladies man" of the group, always off chasing some tail and getting inside info for the rest of them

Well, I know all that. I just wasn't sure if he also was a thief. I didn't know if that is how he made friends with Kruppe, Crokus, and the gang.

If he's decided to wage war on the Empress, then his newfound soldiers might not take kindly to their inevitable outlawry...

As Apt and others have already pointed out, I don't see why he would do that. He has basically nothing to gain out of it and a lot to lose.

Unless you mean fighting to save the Wickans. I can see him going to Quon Tali to do that. Which some might see as fighting the empire/empress somehow. But I wouldn't see that as war against the Empress, but for her. It is that conniving piece of smile of a jhistal priest, and Korbolo Dom that he would be against. They started the hatred toward the Wickans and are squeezing the power away from Laseen.

#27 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:44 PM

Of course being sanctioned into the Deck doesn't mean the CG has to obey the rules, but I would imagine that if he doesn't there will be reprocussions. There is no reason to even have rules if there is no punishment for not obeying them. It seems that no one can touch him, but who is to say that the Master of the Deck can't do anything if he messes up and breaks the rules?

Of course Paran probably doesn't have any clue what he would be able to do about it, but so far answers seems to just come to him when he needs them.

Also, who's to say what being worshiped will do to him? I can see the host eventually becomming his main supporters after he killed the plague. Ganath was telling him that he would eventually be worshiped, and Soleil told him that he'll have to deal with what he's created for himself by destroying Poleil. The question is, if he becomes a thing or worship and ascends to godhood, will he relenquish his role as Master? Or face the wrath of the other gods for tilting the balance?

Either way I see Paran right in the middle of everything for the remainder of the series.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#28 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:55 AM

I remember a soldier saying something about a punitive army against the wickans that laseen was sending to the seven cities for the supposed betrayal, including a hefty contingent of veterans. considering paran's new army and the several thousand of seven cities cavalry he just picked up, such a clash would not be impossible, no?
Question:

Does being the only sane person in the world make you insane?

If a tree falls in the woods and a deaf person saw it, does it make a sound?

#29 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:02 AM

Somewhere in the end of Bonehunters, it says that Paran leaves 7C and he never returns. So that is highly unlikely.

Also Paran doesn't really have any connection to the Wickans, so he doesn't have any reason to get upset about another people subjugated by the empire.

#30 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:12 AM

The Wickan question was being solved in a very half-assed way.
The Empire is not officially involved. The "crusade" against Wickans is essentially a peasant mob, with a smattring of veterans in it. After the events on malaz Island, i fully expect Braven Tooth to get word tot hem that the campaign's going on for all the wrong reason, so that they'll leave. If they do, the punitive peasant army will probably get slaughtered by the Wickans--After all, only 3 clans were lost in CoD. I'd expect there to be at least a dozen to begin with.
As for Paran, his role could be anything, from preserving the Empire on a verge of civil war and collapse, to restraining whatever power The CriGs may try to unleash/gain control of.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#31 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

Some people seem to think Cartheron Crust is a big Wickan supporter and will help them at the very least. Why is that?

@Mentalist

I HAZ PROOF that there are 30 clans.

Bottle told Nether her tribe had been decimated. 3 X 10= 30!!!! Wahooooooooo!

"waits for lulz"

#32 User is offline   Whiskey Freak 

• Recruit

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

If Paran starts to develop a following of worshipers does that necessarily mean he cannot remain neutral? Didn't/doesn't the errant have worshipers and he is the "master of holds" right? I think if Paran gains worshipers that grant him more power it will only help him to remain neutral in the greater game of the pantheon.

Im guessing that he will learn of Tavore's whereabouts and pass off the host to her. where the new army of the host/14th will go I have no clue.

#33 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

I think him amassing more power than he already has might give him too much say in the Deck, no doubt angering the gods that they could potentially be usurped from the Deck by him if he so chooses.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#34 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

-Your high priestess takes out your eye and eats it. -Feather Witch and the Errant.

-Your high priest is about as evil a power hungry sadist can get. -Jhistal Priest of Mael

-The religion that follows you has nothing to do with who and what you stood for. -ie. Drek

-Your knight/champion fails to do your bidding forcing your hand and sparking some sort of vengeful plot against your designs. -Dassem/Traveller

-Your high priest whose hands have been cut off for acts against you really is innocent and ties you to another realm where you are eventually brought down. -Fener (incidentally where is he?)

I am pretty sure there are more reasons not to be worhsipped but I can't think of any.

Sincerely
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#35 User is offline   serenfan 

• Recruit

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

Let's not forget the biggest of all-the crippled god wanted Karsa to have his sword and Karsa had it destroyed. CGs plans may not work out so well after all.....

#36 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

The Crippled God has more aces up his sleeve, don't count the poor guy out yet.

The Dassem Ultor/Hood connection doesn't work as Dassem Ultor never worshipped Hood, plus Hood was the one who did the betraying. The rest were good though.

#37 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

Dassem and Toc the Elder were "loyal to Hood", to quote RG
Dassem is now "disloyal", Toc the Elder remained "loyal"

unless you're peppering us with RotCG spoilers, which I don't want to hear
*fingers in ears* lalalalalalala...

@ AIJ: people think that of Crust b/c he got the Wickans to mainland instead of turning them in... but since he did it for the money, I don't pt much trust into that

@L'oric--Fener's hiding in Errant's old temple in Letheras.

#38 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

I was merely relating that Hood forced the issue not Dassem (a.k.a. he betrayed Dassem's trust) - which is contrary to L'oric post. This has already been mentioned in the past, I wouldn't dream of peppering someone with RotCG spoilers :p

#39 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

lol
it's all well and good, but I'm sure Hood didn't see it as straight out "betrayal"... probably more like "a test of faith"

I mean, he IS a millenia old god. He may think about things in a slightly different way...

#40 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

@L'oric: Add 'getting genocided by FA' to the Errant's worshippers. Oh, and the CG worshippers just get all the bad luck.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users