• You cannot reply to this topic

Quick Ben's Soletaken Form

#21 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

Reiko;323062 said:

Im not sure if theres ever been much said on the difference between soletaken and d'ivers.
Is a D'ivers just a more powerful soletaken? or something completely different....

I have always thaught that the difference was that D'ivers coul change in more same animals and Soltaken only one.I think that's what it means when SE says D'ivers are "a higher order of shapeshifting"
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#22 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

Bauchelain the Evil;323227 said:

I have always thaught that the difference was that D'ivers coul change in more same animals and Soltaken only one.I think that's what it means when SE says D'ivers are "a higher order of shapeshifting"

[sarcasm] congratulations for figuring that out before everyone else [/sarcasm]

please read the whole thread next time and realize that we all know what the core difference between d'ivers and soletaken is, but that we were extrapolating it beyond that core difference into a sceptical discussion of something more complex.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#23 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

[painful expression] your words hurt me [/painful expression]

I just give an obvious answer to an obvious question. And btw what is there to discuss? That's the only difference. A type of shapeshifters aren't more powerful than the others though number would make the difference
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#24 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

Would those that are infected by Soletaken and then turned into Soletaken be more/less powerful? One for da record....

#25 User is offline   Reiko 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

Bauchelain the Evil;323586 said:

[painful expression] your words hurt me [/painful expression]

I just give an obvious answer to an obvious question. And btw what is there to discuss? That's the only difference. A type of shapeshifters aren't more powerful than the others though number would make the difference

Obvious? SE has said many times that soletaken and D'ivers are related somehow. I just want to know what the difference is BETWEEN them. I know that Di'ivers have multiple forms (freaking duhhhhhh)
I want to know what is the difference!
Why can some only change form into one and some can make several.
or how Gryllen ( it is Gryllen that turns into rats yeah?) can towards the end have thousands of rats.

Can only Di'ivers gain power extremely quickly or can soletaken too?

....i think i should make a thread of this actually

#26 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

Ain said:

Would those that are infected by Soletaken and then turned into Soletaken be more/less powerful? One for da record....

By this I assume you're referring to when Mappo gets bitten and talks about it as a "disease"... he's actually saying it's like poison and will drive you mad and to death, as opposed to saying it morphs you.

Im unaware of any instances in any of the books where a soletaken or d'iver has been created by being bitten by another, werewolf style.

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

Reiko;324895 said:

Obvious? SE has said many times that soletaken and D'ivers are related somehow. I just want to know what the difference is BETWEEN them. I know that Di'ivers have multiple forms (freaking duhhhhhh)
I want to know what is the difference!
Why can some only change form into one and some can make several.
or how Gryllen ( it is Gryllen that turns into rats yeah?) can towards the end have thousands of rats.

Can only Di'ivers gain power extremely quickly or can soletaken too?

....i think i should make a thread of this actually

There have been made dozens of threads on the subject and we still know next to nothing. The info we have from Dejim and the soletaken/D'ivers from DG are our primary sources of information.

#28 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

@TT: They actually state that it won't change you too.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#29 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

Thelomen Toblerone;324896 said:

By this I assume you're referring to when Mappo gets bitten and talks about it as a "disease"... he's actually saying it's like poison and will drive you mad and to death, as opposed to saying it morphs you.

Im unaware of any instances in any of the books where a soletaken or d'iver has been created by being bitten by another, werewolf style.

Yes, it was that.

And I suppose it doesn't happen... Kulp said that shapeshifters are born.

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

Born or made...

#31 User is offline   Danyah 

• Fist

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

Spoiler

The D'ivers all seem to be related to the first empire. The soletaken seem to be independent from that matter. D'ivers tend to get mad and bloodthirsty while the soletaken (the imass, the tiste,...) seem to remain somewhat stable.

#32 User is offline   eekwibble 

• Only...
  • Interests:West Haaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

It doesn't help that so far we haven't had a PoV from a D'ivers in any of the books. In fact Gryllen is the closest we've got so far to an engaging D'ivers character.
I don't have a copy of DG (the fourth of the series I gave away:() so can anyone find a quote about Gryllen's appearance/creed that can back up Danyah's theory about D'ivers=1st Empire?

Back on topic; I think 'wolf' is looking favourite but I'm holding out for something far more badass (or the whole 7 MoS thing). :o
QUOTE (amphibian @ Nov 11 2008) <Rake himself was a huge weight inside Draconus and he didn't go in with an army.>

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

Actually we had Dejim in BH, got lots of info from him.

#34 User is offline   Danyah 

• Fist

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Maybe it was in HoC, when Karsa had a meeting with the wolf-d'ivers, not too sure.

#35 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

Danyah;325308 said:

Maybe it was in HoC, when Karsa had a meeting with the wolf-d'ivers, not too sure.

No. I read HoC yesterday. Ryllandaras just complimented him and told him some cryptic stuff about his impending meeting with our favourite Jhag.

#36 User is offline   OtataralDragon 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

eekwibble;325303 said:

I don't have a copy of DG (the fourth of the series I gave away:() so can anyone find a quote about Gryllen's appearance/creed that can back up Danyah's theory about D'ivers=1st Empire?

I just re-read Gryllen's meeting with Heboric, Kulp and Felisin, and found nothing there about his origins.

However, there's a passage earlier in the book where those three are in that ancient city in Raraku, which suggests D'ivers are much older than that.

DHG, chapter 12, p. 516-17 pb:

"Soletaken and D'ivers," the ex-priest said. "The ritual unleashed powers that ran wild. Like a plague, shapeshifting claimed thousands, unwelcomed, no initiation - many went mad. Death filled the city, every street, every house. Families were torn apart by their own." He shook himself. "All within but a handful of hours."

Kulp's eyes fixed on another figure, almost lost in the midst of a pile of mineralized corpses. "Not just Soletaken and D'ivers..."

[....]

"They took losses here."

"Oh, that they did," Heboric said. "Appalling losses. There is a bond between the T'lan Imass and Soletaken and D'ivers, a mysterious kinship that was unsuspected by the dwellers of this city - though they claimed for themselves the proud title of First Empire. That would have irritated the T'lan Imass - assuming such creatures can feel irritation - to have so boldly assumed a title that rightly belonged to them. Yet what drew them here was the ritual, and the need to set things right."

Heboric claims there's a bond between Imass, Soletaken and D'ivers - yet afaik, we've never seen a D'ivers older than the (human) FE and their Ritual. So, theory time. Perhaps the T'lan Imass judged D'ivers inherently evil, and made it their business to kill every one they came across? Just like they did with the Jaghut. The Imass bonecasters all seem to be Soletaken - maybe they see D'ivers as a perversion of something holy. Or maybe they just know from experience that D'ivers tend to be insane and insanely dangerous. Perhaps there had been a similar ritual long ago, when the Imass were still living, with disastrous results? Perhaps it was finding some kind of record of that ancient ritual that gave the humans of the FE the idea to try it themselves...

#37 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

I saw the link as a combination of things... First Empire using that name when the Imass, as we know, claim that as their title...

I also wondered at the warren used - and I think as has been pointed out elsewhere that if the shapeshifters are now under the Beast Throne's heel, and the most likely candidate for Imass Worship is now the Beast Throne, that just seems to me a link on a basic mentality level if nothing else.

Or another way of looking at it, around that time, outside of Dragons, who else was a shapeshifter? Just the bonecasters, who are capable of more than veering. I don't think Gryllen could do more than turn into rats... Not that he needed to mind you >.>
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#38 User is offline   Coen 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:51 AM

I don't believe Quick Ben has a shapeshifter form.

I believe that because Quick has (what was it again?) 9? souls in him and also the memories of them, he's called shapeshifter because of that.

The real shapeshifting that took place is Quick taking 9? souls into him. So those souls have all a different but shared body now.

#39 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

Coen;338430 said:

I believe that because Quick has (what was it again?) 9? souls in him and also the memories of them, he's called shapeshifter because of that.

The real shapeshifting that took place is Quick taking 9? souls into him. So those souls have all a different but shared body now.

I could have sworn one of them was a Soletaken.....

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

Coen;338430 said:

Sorry Coen, but there's a couple of remarks in RG that confirms that QB indeed is a soletaken. We still haven't seen his soletaken form though, we might never.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users