Malazan Empire: Kruppe - Love Him or Hate Him? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kruppe - Love Him or Hate Him?

Poll: Kruppe - Love Him or Hate Him? (85 member(s) have cast votes)

1. I like the character/enjoy the sense of humor (61 votes [71.76%])

Percentage of vote: 71.76%

2. I hate the character/find his babling monologues tiresome (9 votes [10.59%])

Percentage of vote: 10.59%

3. Stuck in middle, doesn't hate him but doesn't find they guy particularly funny or special either (11 votes [12.94%])

Percentage of vote: 12.94%

4. My name is Dolorous Menhir and I look exactly like Kruppe (4 votes [4.71%])

Percentage of vote: 4.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

Kruppe FTW, he's awesome, he makes me laugh, and he r0xx0rs your s0xx0rs.

#22 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

initially the kruppe this kruppe that annoyed me, then he grew on me in moi, but re-reading gotm put him back on the annoyance side. I picked in the middle, sometimes I'm jsut not int he mood to endure his 3rd person shtick

#23 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

He's one of the greatest characters in literature!Only Tehol&Bugg are more comical.

#24 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

I have always enjoyed Kruppe.

That type of character helps to keep the story real....We all know people talk and talk and......and think that they are super smart.....Here he is....lol...
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#25 User is offline   cjd262e 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

Funny, the comparison with Pust. I didn't really think of it before, but now that I do... I do see similarities. Funny that I really like Kruppe, and don't care for Pust.

[QUOTE=Only Tehol&Bugg are more comical.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Tehol/Bugg comment. For me, they provide a perfect comical balance... the Abbot and Costello of fantasy literature. I really enjoy their interactions.

#26 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

I like him and his talent for knowing every plan and strategi. So funny when he has a dialogue with QB about why he is using so much power getting people across the stream faster.

#27 User is offline   bhok'arala 

• Genuflector, High House Shadow

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

Kruppe adds humor to an otherwise drab world in Malaz

however for you that can't get enough of him, there are always teho/bugg, and iskaral pust to read who have almost equally enjoyable parts.

#28 User is offline   bhok'arala 

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

actually i take that back, nothing about SE's books are drab. Kruppe jsut allows you to ignore the rest of the world while you read his multipage ramblings

#29 User is offline   The Archivist 

• Corporal

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:37 AM

I love Kruppe's arrogant ineptitude to put it bluntly. I, too, love the comparison to Pust. And I disagree with the idea that Pust is less in control of his outward facade. Hmm, I wonder if Kruppe has a brother?

Kruppe is, however, the wily author's way of diverting attention to what is really going on, I think. (Look! A distraction! *points*) Kruppe can drop a hint in his rambling, give a particular odd explanation which distracts everyone from something they should be thinking about (yes, readers and characters alike) ... note the prologue: Krul is trying to explain his "I am not in this war." And Kruppe's understanding allows the author to stop and just hint to what is meant. Worse, it distracts you from asking the obvious "whys." Among them ... Why is Krul not involving himself in the war? What is the war about? Which war ... no, no ... honestly, can you be sure? And more importantly, given the previous actions of Krul in the books, in what way is he not involved?

#30 User is offline   Nakorite 

• Recruit

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:39 AM

I dislike him because i find his speech hard to read - it doesn't go anywhere and just ends up being a bit confusing. Tehol and Bugg are much funnier, but Kruppe does have his moments i guess.. if only his speech wasn't so annoying.

#31 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

I agree that Tehol and Bugg are much funnier, the thing I love about Kruppe though is his ability to show his incredible intelligence in an extremely stupid way! He is by far one of the most intelligent and knowledgeable people in the Malazan world. I can't wait for his meeting with a certain preist of shadow!!!

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

Much like the confrontation between Karsa and Icarium we were expecting in RG, I'm scared of what happens when Pust meets Kruppe.

It's going to be slippery vs sneaky, brilliantly insane vs. insanely brilliant ;)

The best part will be to see what happens when the mules meet.

#33 User is offline   Carnifex 

• Corporal

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

They'll probably both drop their facades and be very direct and polite to each other, just to mess with us.

Unless Pust IS Kruppe....It'd be a great role for the Mage of Shadow. It could also explain how he survived Brood's hammer.

I'm just screwing around, but you could spin it to make it plausible.

#34 User is offline   Altamont 

• Recruit

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:32 PM

I love Kruppe. I think he's one of the examples of how good Erickson is as a writer. Writing good dialogue (even if Kruppe dialogues mostly with himself) is quite hard, and Erickson does it brilliantly, and in many different styles: the convoluted ramblings of Kruppe, the gritty exchanges of the Bridgeburners, the conjugal bouts of Pust and Mogora, the hilarious "skits" between Tehol and Bugg, etc.

Every (major) character has a really distinct voice that ties perfectly with their personae.

MAN I can't wait for Toll the Hounds.

AR

#35 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Kruppe talks alot like Mocker in Cook's Dread Empire novels (probably been said here before and is an obvious influence). I like them both. Mocker is a bit tragic while Kruppe is more of a crazy Taoist sage. Will be interesting to see how much of a mover he really is in the series. And what is he?

#36 User is offline   Ganymed 

• Captain
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

I kinda dislike the character. But hate is such a strong word. But I find his ramblings and monologues difficult to read, maybe because english is not my native language. In addition to the difficulty of reading I find the character not particulary funny or mysterious. Sometimes he is just plain annoying, in my opinion.

I wonder if anyone here, who is not a native speaker but reads the books in english, has the same problems with Kruppes dialogues. I have no problems whatsoever with the dialogues of Pust or Tehol & Bugg, only with the ones of the eel.

#37 User is offline   bhok'arala 

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

you say that Pust might actually be Kruppe but I find that it is much more beleivable that Kruppe is Pust. After all, ith would take someone as slippery as the Eel to fake being the magi of Shadow without Shadowthrone or Cotillion knowing about it.

English has way too many exceptions for my liking. Use dislike with great intensity, it takes the edge off

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users