Malazan Empire: Kruppe - Love Him or Hate Him? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kruppe - Love Him or Hate Him?

Poll: Kruppe - Love Him or Hate Him? (85 member(s) have cast votes)

1. I like the character/enjoy the sense of humor (61 votes [71.76%])

Percentage of vote: 71.76%

2. I hate the character/find his babling monologues tiresome (9 votes [10.59%])

Percentage of vote: 10.59%

3. Stuck in middle, doesn't hate him but doesn't find they guy particularly funny or special either (11 votes [12.94%])

Percentage of vote: 12.94%

4. My name is Dolorous Menhir and I look exactly like Kruppe (4 votes [4.71%])

Percentage of vote: 4.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

Personally I've always enjoyed the little guy, but lately it seems that more than a few have expressed their distaste for the jolly fat man.

It's strange because he isn't much different from Pust, and the crazy shadow priest doesn't get as much hate... or does he?

Seeing as TtHs is going to be all about the Eel, I thought I'd make a little pole, to find a consensus on the forums opinion of the guy.

#2 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

If you mean poll you've missed the boat until a moderator comes along.

I love Kruppe, he's one of my favourite characters. His character as a whole is clever, he has layers of meaning behind his actions and his self-importance mixed with his overelaborated stories are amusing.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Now now, Dancer, you just needed to give me time to finish the pole. They aren't posted at the same time.

#4 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

he is amusing.
that is all
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#5 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

Tis true, I forgot in my old age.

I obviously think the first one is true.

#6 User is offline   greenteam 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

i think he's funny to a degree but there's other pov's i'd rather read about

#7 User is offline   CreepingFlesh 

• Recruit

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

Amusing and frustrating in equal measures

#8 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

Always enjoy his ramblings, especially the reactions of those he interacts with.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#9 User is offline   Seed 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

I admire his compassion, in a world that generally lacks such sort of people. He does have a tendancy to verbally beat about the bush though. :D I don't find it that annoying really, I'm always searching his words for hidden subtlties.

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

I only like one in every four of his metaphors, like Truths=Puppies and being married/mistressed to Honesty and Loyalty or whatever they were. That being said, unless there's a character I like interacting with him, I just find him really annoying. Like him and Hetan was great, but only because of Hetan. If she hadn't been interrupting him regularly I would've skipped the whole passage the first 17-and-a-half times I read that book.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

Kruppe is awesome.

Confusing as hell, not usually intrinsically useful for plot development, but always ends up being valuable.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#12 User is offline   cjd262e 

• Lieutenant

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:28 AM

I love Kruppe, and miss him when he's not in a book. But then again, I always like the characters who are underestimated.

#13 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:10 AM

I picked like, but I don't love his character like many others do. Kruppe doesn't really fall into my list of notable characters (i know, I know, some of you view this as heresy). I read his parts and move on.

Funny guy but by no means this mega awesome character.

#14 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

Kruppe is one of my favorite characters in literary history. He knows exactly what he's doing, but you can't interpret anything he says. He's funny, but also integral to the plot, and he's just extremely compassionate, and he makes a good foil to basically any other character in the story.

#15 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:28 AM

Sorry i couldn't resist the DM option. Sorry Apt.

I really like Kruppe. Most amusing. I find i can picture and imagine his ramblings and what he looks like most,out of all the characters.

His mannerisms and the humour behind it all and the subsequent blinking that follows each statement by whoever he is speaking too is genius and worth a chortle or 3.

It reminds me of people in Dorset and whenever i find my self in the non enviable position of talking to said Dorsetenarian trying for the love of god just to buy a newspaper.

" No love " said Flawed in exasperation, striking a handsome pose in mud huff, " I want the Sun. Not a pound of Goose fat "
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Well, you do have a tendency to ramble a bit like Kruppe... are you round like a wheel of cheese as well? :D

#17 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:44 AM

Aptorian;302246 said:

Well, you do have a tendency to ramble a bit like Kruppe... are you round like a wheel of cheese as well? :D

:D

Not at all. I'm quite slim. No slim is the wrong word. Lithe .... I'm lithe like a snake slithering along, all tautness and repressed anger over the world and the fact that you cant buy Honey Nut Loops Cereal any longer.

So no I'm not like cheese.
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#18 User is offline   Ilona 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:26 AM

Picked the first option, though he does get a bit annoying at times, but mostly he's hilarious.

As for the comparision with Pust... I don't find them that much alike. Well, sure, rambling comical characters on the surface, but while in Kruppe's case it's all a carefully constructed facade and he is capable of acting "normal" as well, Pust's insanity (let's call it that for the lack of a better word) seems a bit more genuine. I mean, of course he's putting up a show too, but he's not nearly as.. in control, as Kruppe. Also there's Kruppe's compassionate side that someone mentioned already, which Pust is (seems to be?) completely lacking.

..Guess that went slightly offtopic. But yeah, I like Kruppe, but I find Pust funnier, Kruppe is more entertaining in an intellectual sense.
It was ever thus.

#19 User is offline   Tarr 

• FING (cross between FIst and kiNG)

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

He's funny just not as funny as the Tehol and Bug conversations or Pust and Morgana
Everyday I ask myself, where has the peanut butter gone?

#20 User is offline   FilthyGnome 

• Corporal

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

Love Kruppe. His sense of humour and insane mutterings to himself is what really hooked me into the book :D

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users