Malazan Empire: pick a law show - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pick a law show

Poll: pick a law show (31 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Law and Order (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

2. CSI (5 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

3. Bones (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

4. hte shield (2 votes [6.45%])

5. dexter (9 votes [29.03%])

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

6. nypd blue (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

7. Law and order SVU (2 votes [6.45%])

8. Csi NY (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. CSI Miami (0 votes [0.00%])

10. law and order CI (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:56 AM

Dexter gets my vote - love the style, love the acting, love the premise, love...well pretty much everything about it.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#22 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:47 AM

Aptorian;301737 said:

I like CSI, its pretty and dumbed down so that I can sit and watch it with my stepmom without her going "what's that? How do they do that?" every five minutes :D

Oh god yes. Funny though, my mom is one of the only women in my life I can sit through a show with without her asking "what's going on, I don't get it!" every five minutes.

The GF is the worst, man...prison break was torture. I'm not even going to try to get her into stargate or battlestar.

And then there's my GF's mom, who doesn't believe in movies unless they're at least 20 years old and a musical. Seriously...I don't think she watches anything except "the sound of music" over and over and over and......
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#23 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

Dexter for sure.

But I owuld have voted The Wire if it was on there. That show ruled.

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

DEXTER hands down.

L&O and CSI series are like tv bubblegum. Single episode formulaic nonsense, but very watchable nonesense.

I think these are all cop/crime shows, btw, not law shows in the sense that THE PRACTICE, BOSTON LEGAL or SHARK are law shows.

HILL STRET BLUES was masterful in its day. NYPD BLUE had its high and low points. BONES does nothing for me and i have yet to see THE SHEILD or THE WIRE but i suspect i'll likey.

- Abyss, is under arrest.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

I've been watching Boston Legal the last couple of weeks and I'm beginning season 3 now.

I have to say, this might be the best law show I've seen. Admittedly, besides Ally McBeal I haven't seen that many shows lawshows at all, but damn it's good.

It's of course James Spader and Williams Shatner that sells it for me. Their excentric characters are simply hilarious.

Espcially Shatners character "Denny Crane" is so brilliant he should have his own show. He shoots at least one person per season, molests women, offends minorities, makes insane decrees, is constantly shouting out his name "DENNY CRANE!", etc.

I love the insane things he says when he's being followed by reporters. "Denny Crane! ...Kokoo for Coco pops... Denny Crane! ...Kokoo for Coco pops!" or "Denny Crane! ... she loves me... Denny Crane! ... she loves me not.... Denny Crane!" It's hilarious.

That episode where he had a lovedoll made of Smitch was just brilliant. Even better when the secreatry comes in with him screwing the doll something fierce.

Spaders character is great with his weird behaviour and extremely human personality. Those speaches he makes actually makes the hair on my arms stand up. You feel the pathos and outrage he's able to portray in that courtroom.

The fact that they pretty much never lose is a bit silly though.

#26 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

I've recently just watched the conclusion of THE WIRE and that is a top notch show. Tries to show you all the sides to crime and corruption in the city of Baltimore. Very well done. While it is primarily a crime show it does have a strong legal aspect to it at times.

In terms of a real LAW show, then I'd also give a nod to DAMAGES, which is a law show where you are introduced to a murder at the beginning of episode1 and then the show jumps back 6 months and leads up to those events. A bit like MURDER ONE did so many years ago. But there is a good cast and it's well acted. The setting is a law firm involved in a big civil suit.

As for BOSTON LEGAL, i could never really take that too seriously because of all the insane antics of James Spader and William Shatner. Spader does deliver some great speeches though, i will say that.

But my favourite show recently of those listed is probably DEXTER, but I wouldn't really consider it a LAW show. It's fantastic.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#27 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:21 AM

I voted CSI to hack of beer party.;

Where is 'The Bill', fucking yanks.
I AM A TWAT

#28 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Hmpf.. I voted Law and Order because I read the title of this thread and imdediately though of that show as it is the only one that does a slight atempt at making an accurate portraytal of what happens in a court room..

Boston Legal might be the least realistic law show I've ever seen.. Though Shatner is funny for being shatner :o
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#29 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:03 AM

Law shows would bore the head off your shoulders if they were realistic, seeing as very little actually happens in a lawfirm.

Boston Legal is fun because it has extreme personalities and outrageous cases.

I've also noticed that Boston Legal has a very philosophical and ethical quality once in a while. Especially Aaron Shore and the cases he choses often have very big american values in mind. The Iraq war and the soldiers rights, the healthcare system, the craditcard companies, the carmanufacturers, etc.

#30 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

Aptorian;325747 said:

Law shows would bore the head off your shoulders if they were realistic, seeing as very little actually happens in a lawfirm.

You cannot possibly have worked in a law firm
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#31 User is offline   RatManHEB 

• Corporal

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

have to vote Law and Order off the list.

awww memories of me and my mummy watching reruns of this every night...

hehe That's sad.

Does Psyche count? That show is awesome!

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

Morgoth;326541 said:

You cannot possibly have worked in a law firm

Can too! It was just after viet Nam and before I became a famous Kosmonaught...

No but what I was implying is that not even trial lawyers, who are hired just for their skills in a courtroom, get the amount of action we see in these shows. There's weeks and months or even years of legal shenanigans. Court dates have to be set that fit with both parties intrests. Paperwork and strategies are worked over. Law firms don't even want to go to court. Better to drag out proceedings and earn extra cash, but it's also better to settle and avoid the risk of losing to a fickle jury, etc.

Ever read Tucker Max or Philalawyers blogs? The daily life in a lawfirm thet describe sounds soulcrushing.

#33 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:02 AM

Aptorian;345076 said:

Can too! It was just after viet Nam and before I became a famous Kosmonaught...

No but what I was implying is that not even trial lawyers, who are hired just for their skills in a courtroom, get the amount of action we see in these shows. There's weeks and months or even years of legal shenanigans. Court dates have to be set that fit with both parties intrests. Paperwork and strategies are worked over. Law firms don't even want to go to court. Better to drag out proceedings and earn extra cash, but it's also better to settle and avoid the risk of losing to a fickle jury, etc.

Ever read Tucker Max or Philalawyers blogs? The daily life in a lawfirm thet describe sounds soulcrushing.

Yes. Boring. Boring. Boring. Meet clients. Try to convince them you care and are very concerned about seeing justice done. Oh, so you want to sue? Oh. Well, let me do some research and see if that's the best option. I'll see you in a week. One week later after doing 30 minutes of research. Ok. Yeah, I think you have a fantastic case. I'll have my clerk file the complaint tomorrow. + 4 billable hours.

Two weeks later: Dear Mr. Client, we need you to send us all this information. Preferably itemized. What for? Oh, discovery. What? Yes, she does get to know where you've been using your credit card. No, we can't block out the 1-900 numbers. I'm sorry, but, well, that's against the law. Oh, by the way you have a deposition in a week. See you then. +2 billable hours.

Ok. Well, I want to delay this. Hmmm, let's see if settling would be a good idea, yes? Ok. 1 week and 5 billable hours later: Oh, well they were being ridiculous. No, they wanted far too much. Once the court date gets closer, they'll change their tune!

2 months later: Summary judgment granted in favor of the defendant. Sorry, Mr. Client, we'll appeal this decision and get the case reinstated!

+20 or so billable hours (getting off light...) = $4,000.00 and a defeat with an appellate case now!

The only exciting time for a lawyer is when he gets that bill. That makes it all worth it.

I've been watching Boston Legal the last couple of weeks and I'm beginning season 3 now.

I have to say, this might be the best law show I've seen. Admittedly, besides Ally McBeal I haven't seen that many shows lawshows at all, but damn it's good.

It's of course James Spader and Williams Shatner that sells it for me. Their excentric characters are simply hilarious.

Espcially Shatners character "Denny Crane" is so brilliant he should have his own show. He shoots at least one person per season, molests women, offends minorities, makes insane decrees, is constantly shouting out his name "DENNY CRANE!", etc.

I love the insane things he says when he's being followed by reporters. "Denny Crane! ...Kokoo for Coco pops... Denny Crane! ...Kokoo for Coco pops!" or "Denny Crane! ... she loves me... Denny Crane! ... she loves me not.... Denny Crane!" It's hilarious.

Boston Legal receives my vote. The conversations between Denny Crane and Alan Shore are hilarious.

The best scene: After being made to look like a wussy in front of his girlfriend at a bar, Alan Shore proceeds to pay off 4 meatheads to start a brawl with the other guy. God, I love you Alan.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#34 User is online   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:00 AM

Vic Macky Kicks serious ass....Although I didn't see The Wire. Which is the best Law show of all time....

For this being a law show thread you have a lot of strictly Cop shows. Which should be on another poll all together.

Not that it matters cause THE WIRE would win them all....
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#35 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:40 AM

Boston Legal has very little basis in reality but god I love it. Alan Shore and Denny Crane are just hilarious yet there's still just enough gravitas to keep them grounded. Denny's fear of losing his mind to Alzheimer's, Alan's night terrors and his constant crusading. I especially have a renewed appreciation for Candice Bergen - I had forgotten how good she really is.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#36 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:54 AM

Oh yes, Candice Bergen. I didn't even know who she was before I saw this show, Somehow I think I've never noticed her before, but she damn fine in this programme. GILF quality :D I love it when she "gives Denny a treat" "... dennyyy.... dennyyy.... CRANE!" You can almost see Shatner creaming his pants.

Besides the funny moments between Alan Shore and Denny Crane some of the philisophical debates between them are also profoundly insightfull for a non-american veiwer. Shores crusades for the rights of the american soldiers, the environment, illegal aliens, people on the deathrow, etc. is eye-opening as they present the cases in a light you'd never think to view them yourself.

#37 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

Man, just saw a rerun last night of the hated CSI miami, or whichever one has the redhead guy. Was flipping channels and I tuned in right at the point where
Spoiler

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#38 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

Spoiler

#39 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:52 PM

Aptorian;346191 said:

Spoiler

well it was one of those "cliffhanger" endings, so they'll probably save him with a steel plate he had in his head from a childhood surgery or something. That show is lame enough for that I think.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

Was there bloodspatter and stuff? I have to find that episode and watch it... is this the latest episode?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users