Malazan Empire: Football Transfer News/Rumours/Discussion Thread - Malazan Empire

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Football Transfer News/Rumours/Discussion Thread

#281 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:42 PM

Mock for now. Gooners only just managed to scrape past West Brom, so I wouldn't get too cocky Toby!!

And Boro are better than Celtic anyway :D

We do need a striker though, definitely:(
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#282 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

Meh, injury ravaged side (Eboue in central mid :shocked:) and we missed a hatful (that useless loafer Adebayor!), I remain confident of a top 7 finish. :D :D

#283 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hmmmph, and just how well did Boro do in last year's Champion's League? Or the year before? Sorry, I didn't mean Boro, I meant Spurs, how well did...no wait...they weren't there either? :D
Victory is mine!

#284 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Gamet, you can't possibly win this, Celtic qualified for the Champion's League through the Scottish league... if they had to play proper teams all year as opposed to only in the CL, they'd be upper-mid table at best :D
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#285 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

If Celtic were allowed to compete in the premiership (and thereby have access to the huge Sky money) they could easily build a team to challenge for a Champions League spot within a few years. They have a massive stadium with a rabid fan base, and have been competitive in Europe for years despite having only Rangers to push them most of the time.

As it is, because of the finances of the Scottish league, both Rangers and Celtic have to operate on a budget far less than that of most Premiership sides. Put either of them in the Premiership and they'd become a much better proposition for a big investor too. I wouldn't dismiss them that quickly.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#286 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

caladanbrood;371017 said:

if they had to play proper teams all year as opposed to only in the CL, they'd be upper-mid table at best :)

Well, better than the 11th you lot managed last year after splashing out £16.5mil on a new striker and however much on Hutton, Woodgate and Gilberto then, eh? :D :D

Arsenal bloody better sign Xabi Alonso, or I will be immensely annoyed. I keep checking BBC Sport expecting to see it because it seems so logical, but I know deep down I'll be left disappointed.

#287 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

Brood - Of course I can :D All the top teams in the Premiership want to get into the CL in order to prove themselves as being even better, it is the competition to which they aspire, yes? Thus, with Celtic (having, as mentioned, vastly inferior finances to ANY team in the PL) having entered it and qualified from the Group Stages the last two years only to be knocked out by AC Milan and Barcelona, I would say that proves them to be better.

Besides, your theory about Celtic in the PL is hypothetical and cannot be proven one way or another so the way I see it we can only judge on the actual competitions they are in (such as the Champions League - though this is of course a misnomer :D )and the excellent results Celtic have recorded against lots of the very top teams in Europe over the last six or seven years.

In all, Mr Brood, I would say...na na na na na...*rasp*

PS - the SPL is a better league than you are aware
Victory is mine!

#288 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

Arsenal have signed Mikael Silvestre for 750k.

How depressing. Says it all really, we're so close to a title challenge that we're going for Man U cast offs that even Everton wont touch. If this is the "big signing" Wenger's been talking about (and I strongly suspect that it is) I think I'll just break down and weep at the fish-faced lunacy of it all.

#289 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:22 PM

A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha.

Ha

Seriously he'll do a job for y...AHA HA AH AH AHAHA AHA HA

He hasn't been fit for 2 years...
I AM A TWAT

#290 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Perfect Arsenal signing then, he can keep Rosicky company in the treatment room. And Van Persie. And Gallas. And Eboue.

#291 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

Well yes, seriously he isn't that bad. He's quickish but very one paced, your always expecting him to step up a gear and he never does.

I wouldn't doubt Wenger too soon, he rarely buys bad players (Stepanovs and Cygan are exceptions) he'll see soemthing in Silvestre he can use
I AM A TWAT

#292 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

Im hoping he's just an addition to the big buy (Alonso pls).

I reckon Wenger's gone for him because he'll add a bit more experience and depth to the squad, and will be a backup to Toure and Gallas. At 31 he;s only got a couple of seasons left in him, so he can aid the younger defenders in their development before stepping aside for them. That's the plan/hope, anyway.

#293 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Also he's black and French speaking which are apparently the 2 criteria for playing for Wenger
I AM A TWAT

#294 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:18 AM

Gooners after Barry??
http://www.goal.com/...tenutoId=828951

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#295 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

Arsenal may struggle to finish fourth this season, but I rate Wenger (in certain respects). Arsenal just don't finish Fourth under Wenger, so naturally this season will be interesting.

#296 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:48 AM

Did Alonso play for Liverpool in the Champions League qualifiers so far. If not, then he would seem to be a perfect addition for Arsenal with his age and experience to replace Gilberto. I don't understand why Benitez seems so intent on getting rid of him?? All he does is do his job without fuss, play hard and pass the ball accurately. I hate players like that!!! Instead, I want some young player that is super fit and strong and couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo (see Sissoko before and Plessis now from what i saw last week). I really like Gareth Barry too, but i don't see why you would get him at the expense of Alonso, except for his left foot. He is a fine left back, or defensive midfielder, but it still won't really give Liverpool a lot of attacking width on the left which seems to be the intent.

Also, I see that Sunderland have been crazy active again, signing Djibril Cisse on loan for the season, getting David Healy for something?, and looks set to sign Anton Ferdinand for 8million. None are particularly earth shattering signings if you support a big club, but they're definite improvement when you consider their squad from last season. At this rate, Sunderland should be a model mid table side, considering that they managed to survive with the very embodiment of mediocrity last year.

Cisse has pace and power, and is used to the premiership.
Healy hasn't done well in the premiership, and yet has scored regularly at international level so there is still hope.
Ferdinand is a bit of a wild card. I've seen him look superb and awful in quick succession. But he has got some pace, and size and can play across the back line. I think the change of club and a firm manager like Keane will do him good if it happens.

Roll on the transfer deadline. I want to see what big transfers are going to happen elsewhere. There's still too much caginess.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#297 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

We need strikers!! *sobs*

#298 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

caladanbrood;373659 said:

We need strikers!! *sobs*

or a manager soon??

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#299 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

I had high hopes for Arsenal and Tottenham this year but it really ain't looking too good atm. Where the hell does all the money go? Are Arsenal still paying for the stadium? Is that where all the cash goes? Is Wenger so obsessed with building a team for the future that he can't get one to challenge for now? I am not an Arsenal fan but I get the impression that Wenger is not too bothered about winning the title and the board seem content with just being pretty good and maybe winning something, but hey, out stadium rocks!

Brood - just who can Spurs sign to get them goals?
Victory is mine!

#300 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Anyone... just a striker! Please!!! :sombra:

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users