Malazan Empire: Can there be any doubt about Rake's death? - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can there be any doubt about Rake's death?

#41 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:33 AM

Really its not a bad thing
No offence but the world could do without her
But a brutal Rake on the loose would really be a cool thing to behold
Suppose he just takes Shadowthrowns permission and starts killing all the things chained in the Shadow Realm i mean that should keep Dragnipur loaded for a couple of 100 years
The things chained there are hella strong supposedly

#42 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:14 AM

You've read the prologue, right? Keeping on feeding the sword is futile. The weight and drag on the wagon is growing exponentially. It will fail no matter what.

Besides Shadowthrone never giving the permission to kill the inhabitants of his own warren (they would rise and kill him) Rake might be powerfull, but not even Rake is able to take on the civilizations of Azalans and Aptorians, they would tear him up in a matter of minutes. The cost would probably be terrible, but he would die.

#43 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

Gem Windcaster;295633 said:

Err...that's not a bad thing... :o

Never said it was, m'boy.

I wonder how Rake would handle a big Chaotic Edur ritual like the one from BH? Maybe he'd use KG and make it so dark they'd aim the chaos the wrong way....

#44 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

Oh i know that Dragnipur is a complete failure but it would be a way for Rake to buy some time to eventually break it or have it destroyed
And i wasnt talking about the demons living in Shadow just the chained beings like the dragons or the thing Edgewalker talks to in the begining of NoK

#45 User is offline   Gruntle 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

I can't see Rake dying from combat, as he has bestest an Elder God (Draconus by Himself) and hundreds of other Demons, Assendants etc.

I just can't see a situation or character that could kill him. Dragnipur however is a different matter.

#46 User is offline   Ayrin 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

Gem Windcaster;295633 said:

Err...that's not a bad thing... ;)

You don't think the poor creatures inside Dragnipur are punished enough already? :D

#47 User is offline   chthonian 

• Corporal

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

I just had a thought. Maybe there is a way to break the cycle, and make it so that KG is free of Dragnipur, but also in a state where it can defend itself from Chaos. I know that this was Draconus original intention, and the intention of Dragnipur (else the sword wouldn't have been created), but he was then cursed by Kallor. What if Draconus is freed from Dragnipur, thus slowing it as he is an essential part in it staying free, but he is able to perfect his weapon and make it impregnible from outside forces?

Is this feasable? I know Paran looked at freeing Draconus in MoI and I think he'll feature in TtH, so the journeys of Jen'isand Rul will continue I am sure. =P

#48 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

When the sword breaks KG will be free to wandering again which is what keeps it alive basicly. To move away from chaos, ever pursuing.

#49 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

I'm suspecting that Rake, like Scabby/Ruin, is hard to kill totally. Therefore it is going to be something either

a)Completely unique to the series thus far. He'll go out in a way that we don't expect but also that will keep us guessing about his fate.
b)He'll get his throat cut, simple as that. (or some other insanely easy way that makes us throw the book across the room)

I wouldn't get too attached to any characters, honestly. They are called "Books of the Fallen" for a reason ;)

#50 User is offline   Samar_Dev 

• Recruit

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

Or he could kill himself.
Would be in character.

#51 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

Not for Rake. He's living for his Andii... Remember in Wikipedia some lttle **** altered the post to read "Rake has been found... seemingly murdered by a pack of savage dogs"? The more I think on it, the culer that'd be. I dont actually want to see Rake's death, Id rather just hear of it, and have ppl try and piece everything together afterwards.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#52 User is offline   lasombra 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

maybe rake does indeed get offed by "dogs" Aka Deragoth.

#53 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:31 PM

The Hounds of Shadow would have reason to kill him as well.

The one thing that seems to doom Rake more than anything is his direct involvement in the conflicts of mortals. A few times during the series, it is mentioned how many Ascendants have tried to avoid direct interference in mortal affairs, much like Gods, because it can end up costing them.

So no matter how noble Rake's actions could be portrayed...it could end up costing him.

#54 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

But that is what makes him badass. He doesn't care about the potential risks his involvement causes, because his will to follow a life guided by his moral compass is ever stronger.

#55 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

Sindriss;299107 said:

But that is what makes him badass. He doesn't care about the potential risks his involvement causes, because his will to follow a life guided by his moral compass is ever stronger.

Oh I agree. Yet it will also kill him probably. The world SE and ICE have created seems to encourage Karma. So what goes around comes around.

#56 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

Unlike many Ascendants that are popping up now and getting killed, Rake has been relatively active for over 400.000 years.

I think what makes Rake so succesfull and so dangerous is his lack of total ignorance. He doesn't underestimate the mortals and as such he's less likely to fall victim to a fate like the three sisters in the Refugium.

#57 User is offline   MegaLeafs 

• Recruit

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

He will probably sacrifice himself for the mortals, don't he and the Andii fight for the little guy just because they have no cause their own to fight for? Thats the impression I got from GotM. I don't see him staying around just for the Andii's sake if he could achieve something substantial to save/help the world. I don't think anyone could take him out straight up or underhandedly he is just to badass, if does get killed my money's on he will choose death.

#58 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

?
not really
in MoI, he talks to Brood--he syas that they are fighting the Empire, because under its rule, wild powers, such as themselves have no place in the system. they are fighting to preserve their own freedom, becuase the Empire would strive to control their power.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#59 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:33 AM

kud13;299278 said:

?
not really
in MoI, he talks to Brood--he syas that they are fighting the Empire, because under its rule, wild powers, such as themselves have no place in the system. they are fighting to preserve their own freedom, becuase the Empire would strive to control their power.

I remember that and it's actually too bad Erikson didn't expand on this idea as a story element. Of course, the Empire is portrayed as struggling now, being stretched and brittle with descent, but what if it hadn't. What if it hadn't suffered so many set backs of late?

It could had been interesting to see a strong empire with the the power to reel in ascendants...

This is actually an idea for a book I've been working on for years.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users