Malazan Empire: Best Sci Fi/Fantasy/Comic Show ever - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Sci Fi/Fantasy/Comic Show ever

Poll: Best Sci Fi/Fantasy/Comic Show ever (34 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Smallville (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

2. Stargate: SG1 (8 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

3. Stargate: Alantis (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Firefly (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

5. Doctor Who (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

6. Charmed (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Battlestar (7 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

8. Supernatural (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

9. Beastmaster (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

@ Paladin - I know that FIREFLY was only just over half a season long, but that doesn't change the fact that it was good. It had a good premise, was well written, well acted, and (most important in my mind) it looked like the creator had a good idea of where he wanted it to go long term. Perhaps it's lack of longevity should exclude it, but it was on the list so that's where my vote went.

And as for the X-FILES running for 10 seasons, as I said above, it was a good idea initially, and had some great moments, but it got so muddled as to what it wanted to be that I couldn't even consider it.

Of the currently running shows, I'm hoping that BATTLESTAR GALACTICA can hold it all together and wrap it up in a consistent and coherent fashion.

HEROES is another show that is enjoyable but I fear that it could very easily go astray if they try to keep it going too long. The next half season should tell us a lot.

I like how they did it on STARGATE. They found a formula and went with it, and built up an audience. They've had a number of story arcs that extended over a season or two but then gave them a resolution and moved on. And then set up a spin off series and finally allowed the original to finish. While I wasn't the biggest fan of STARGATE I always felt like you knew what it was about, unlike so many other shows.

LOST is something I'm hoping to do a catch-up on soon. I missed it's initial hype but have managed to see most of the first few seasons, but it seems like they are trying too hard to drag out the story. I've heard conflicting views from the creators as to whether they know how it all ends so I'm a bit worried on that score. Please let them have a firm idea by now, cos that will make or break my long term view of it.

But despite all my misgivings, i usually end up watching most of these sci-fi shows.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#22 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

Babylon 5 was my all time favourite followed by Buffy, but at the moment Supernatural is one of the few programs I'll go and turn the tv on for.
Seraph777 - DeviantArt...
SteveBellshaw - Patreon, wips, psds, new work...

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

Doctor Who is always gonna come up my winner here. No question.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

Smiles;292452 said:

Babylon 5 was my all time favourite followed by Buffy, but at the moment Supernatural is one of the few programs I'll go and turn the tv on for.

I can't wait to see if they pussy out on the lillith angle or if it's going to become totally awesome when the series returns.

#25 User is offline   Tif the Barber Boy 

• Captain

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:55 AM

Carnivale?

Edit: Out of the given choices, Firefly was good but it was too short to really be able to properly judge it. Also one can't count the movie when judging the series. So, I guess I would go for Battlestar galactica.

#26 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:07 AM

I voted Supernatural

cuz if something is wrong its probably an angry spirit and you have to burn the bones.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#27 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

Tif the Barber Boy;292539 said:

Carnivale?

Edit: Out of the given choices, Firefly was good but it was too short to really be able to properly judge it. Also one can't count the movie when judging the series. So, I guess I would go for Battlestar galactica.

Agreed. Carnival was incredibly good. Too bad it was canceled after season two
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#28 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

HEROES!!!

Nah, kidding. It needs another outstanding season and less continuity problems before it can be counted as great.

I voted Firefly, because it's the only one on there I really enjoyed on a regular basis. For example, I like the new Doctor Who series, with Eccleston/Tennant, but of the old ones, only the Tom Baker Doctor was up to much.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#29 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

Morgoth;292563 said:

Agreed. Carnival was incredibly good. Too bad it was canceled after season two

Yeah, Carnival was cool. Vey dark and all kinds of metaphorical. Probably too intelligent for tv.

I even sort of forgave the actor playing the main role for his sucky portrail of emo John Connor in [THE TERMINATOR FILM WHICH MUST NEVER BE MENTIONED].

That scene where he's walking through the field and killing all the life is for ever stuck in my head. Sort of like the scene from Constantine.

#30 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

Smiles;292452 said:

here here, babylon 5 ftw. just recently rewatched the entire five seasons.

and supernatural is just rocking.

#31 User is offline   Aimless 

• First Sword

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

HIGHLANDER!!!

Okay, of the series on that list, I'd have to say SG-1, mainly because I don't think Firefly got to run long enough.

I saw Space: Above and Beyond again a while back, and it wasn't as good as I remembered... though better than the Secret World of Alex Mack ;)

#32 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

If Firefly had run for at least 2 seasons and had maintained the same quality it showed in what was made of it, there is no question I would have voted for that. I considered voting for Doctor Who, but while it has had some great episodes, there was a LOT of mediocre stuff in Season 2 and the end of Season 3 in my opinion. So my vote has to go with SG-1, which I recently completed watching all 10 seasons of (having never seen it before). Strong story arcs, interesting scenarios, and even in the last couple of Seasons when the personnel changes made it feel a bit like a spin off the quality remained high - the Ori made for much more terrifying and dangerous enemies than any Goa'uld ever could.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#33 User is offline   Lostara Yil 

• Red Blade

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:03 AM

Unfortunately I've missed too much of BSG to say it's my fav... not saying it isn't spectacular, but when you dunno what's going on, it loses a bit of its impact. So I voted Doc Who. Yay! :>

I DEFINITELY would have voted for Babylon 5, because G'Kar kicks more ass than you will ever know. Rest in peace.
"Oh, Hood's balls under a big rock." -Fiddler, House of Chains

#34 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:49 AM

Doctor Who, just for Blink and the Human Nature and the second episode of the Family story because frankly I think those might have been three of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen.

That part at the end of the second family show is epic, and gives a nice view into the darker side of the Doctor.

#35 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

Lost Marine;298305 said:

Doctor Who, just for Blink and the Human Nature and the second episode of the Family story because frankly I think those might have been three of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen.

That part at the end of the second family show is epic, and gives a nice view into the darker side of the Doctor.

Those three episodes were awesome, I agree. The second half of Season 3, starting from Blink and ending with the Master Three Parter (which wasn't quite as good as the three you mentioned but still above average) was easily the best of the new series of Doctor Who. I just wish Season 4 was anywhere near as good, but sadly Catherine Tate doesn't make for a good companion.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#36 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

When the revolution comes, the first ones we line up against the wall are the Fox execs that screwed up Firefly and then canceled it. The story arcs that Whedon was building up would have kept us going for years.

I don't watch the current Battlestar, got the DVDs, just need to make the time. But from what I understand it is the most intense, layered, and just plain darkest sf series of all.

Babylon 5. Poor dialog, great characters, and seasons 1-4 had probably the best long story arc I have ever seen.

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis - formulaic but what a formula. The science is laughable but who cares. Great characters, plenty of humor, and a gift for big story arcs.

Star Trek NG and DS9. The original series is such a fine old friend but can be downright embarrassing a third of the time. The two that followed were just impeccable. The science worked better, the stories began to arc, DS9 was even messy and dark which is rare for Star Trek, and the acting for some of the leads was downright astonishing.

And right now my wife and I have watched season 1 of Torchwood on DVD. Dr Who always seemed a little childish for me, this is purely for adults. The cannibal episode might have been the creepiest thing I have ever seen on TV. Now if they can just get Gwen to walk around with her pants off the show would jump into my top five.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#37 User is offline   Varunwe 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Larp, reading, watching tv

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

At the moment I like BSG best. Good story, good actors, good special effects. Of the poll choices I also like Stargate Atlantis a lot.

Heroes is also very good.

Dr. Who and Torchwood are so bad they're fun to watch.

I have seen Space above and beyond, but it was so long ago I can't make any comments on the quality. Back then I didn't like it that much. Same as for SG-1, the kidnapped wife plot was annoying.

I liked Charmed when it first showed, but gradually it started annoying me more and more. Bad guys were vanquished way too easily, and it became more and more soapy.

#38 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:46 AM

I think it's odd that star trek didn't even make the list.

The best though? Star wars Christmas Special. No doubt.
Error: Signature not valid

#39 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:10 AM

Charmed, hands down!!

:D

Nah...I voted Stargate SG-1. I just love Dean, he's hilarious.

#40 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:13 AM

Dean? Oh, you mean MacGyver. :D

Sir Thursday

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users