• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shal-Morzinn

#1 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:07 PM

I have a theory supported by little more than instinct and possibly flawed observations.

The wizards of Shal-Morzinn are Liosan. The only Liosan we've seen in a group are the arrogant quartet in HoC. I'm concocting this theory on three sections from two different books.

p526 BH, Paran talks to Fist Rythe Bude
"Crossing the Three is a not a recipe for long life."
"The Three?"
"The rulers of Shal-Morzinn for the past thousand years."
"The imperial flagship, Twist. Gods, that craft alone was enough to give the Three pause. Normally, they annihilate strangers as a matter of course. The Three despise outsiders."

So, they're ascendants and don't like outsiders.
p729BH Run'Thurvian says the same. "Three sorcerer kings rule Shal-Morzinn. They will contest our passage."
"Why?"
"Because it pleases them to do so."

HoC p328
Liosan "There is but one necessity in dealing with a creature such as you and that is annihilation." Similar language and identical sentiment. They said nothing, just attacked. I also notice that Onrack cut one up but he didn't seem disturbed by it. "Oh, I need healing" was his only remark.

They also refer to the Andii as "most sordid creations" and claim "death by our hands is the only mercy they deserve." And they only tolerate the Edur because they "contain something of the Father within them."

Maybe the three kings turned their back on Father Light and left the Liosan warren. Wouldn't that put a dent in their superiority myth? Too bad Udinaas didn't have anything to say about Liosan history.

So, the Morzinn and Liosan seem to possess both arrogance and insular tendencies.

#2 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

I'm sure Apt will find the thread where this theory has been discussed....but before he does....I'll share my thoughts :D

We don't really know enough about "The Three" to speculate much, in all honesty. It could be they are Liosan, in that they are so mysterious and not many know much about the Liosan either.

I'd toyed around with the idea that each one of "The Three" was a Liosan, an Andii, and an Edur (insane and pointless theory, but I liked it for a while), but we just don't know enough yet.

They are definitely a power though.

#3 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:18 PM

You make a good point but until proven its just a theory though they do seem to have similarities.
Good job using that brain

#4 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

Xander;290664 said:

I'm sure Apt will find the thread where this theory has been discussed....but before he does....I'll share my thoughts :D

We don't really know enough about "The Three" to speculate much, in all honesty. It could be they are Liosan, in that they are so mysterious and not many know much about the Liosan either.

I'd toyed around with the idea that each one of "The Three" was a Liosan, an Andii, and an Edur (insane and pointless theory, but I liked it for a while), but we just don't know enough yet.

They are definitely a power though.

Haha, I joined the forum a month after you and have posted about 1/10th of your total. No wonder I missed out on so many threads.

#5 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

Ammanas;290667 said:

Haha, I joined the forum a month after you and have posted about 1/10th of your total. No wonder I missed out on so many threads.

Yes, I am quite prolific, but enough about me :D

Anyway, it's good to revisit old, dead threads. It keeps the book parts of the forums going.

Perhaps we'll get more info on Shal-Morzinn in ICE's books.

#6 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:57 PM

... or masybe, itas just one of those things, there to add flavour and realism to the world..

btw, I recall a thread like that, even before Apt gives us a link to it. Another piece of evidence you forgot, is that Rythe Bude asks to be burned when she dies--that's how the dead are treated in Shal-Morziin...
And I think this may just have been another entry in the crazy theories thread...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#7 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:03 AM

kud13;290687 said:

... or masybe, itas just one of those things, there to add flavour and realism to the world..

btw, I recall a thread like that, even before Apt gives us a link to it. Another piece of evidence you forgot, is that Rythe Bude asks to be burned when she dies--that's how the dead are treated in Shal-Morziin...
And I think this may just have been another entry in the crazy theories thread...

That's only kind of theories I have. All the rational ones have been spoken for.

#8 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:06 AM

now-now.. nothing wron with crazy theories.. i mean, where do you think the Donkeygoth came from?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#9 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:12 AM

kud13;290694 said:

now-now.. nothing wron with crazy theories.. i mean, where do you think the Donkeygoth came from?

You have a link to that?

I'm having fun, tho. Crazy theories are basically digging harder, deeper and unearthing less evidence.

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:35 AM

kud13;290687 said:

Or more specifically, they fill the corpse's lungs with oil and then burn it, so the lungs explode and free the soul. Tasty.

I kind of hope the Three aren't Tiste in any way. With Rake, Bluerose, the Edur, Drift Avalii, the Watch, Nimander's bunch, et cetera, it seems like we're about maxed on the Tiste and Tiste-remnant populations, especially considering everyone else thinks they almost all died millenia ago. I'd be more interested if the Three were Great Ravens or Barghast or Moranth...

or that crazy combination of K'Chain, Forkrul and other species that Poliel is...

or lobsters...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:58 AM

Ammanas;290660 said:

I have a theory supported by little more than instinct and possibly flawed observations.

The wizards of Shal-Morzinn are Liosan. The only Liosan we've seen in a group are the arrogant quartet in HoC. I'm concocting this theory on three sections from two different books.

"The Three?"
"The imperial flagship, Twist. Gods, that craft alone was enough to give the Three pause. Normally, they annihilate strangers as a matter of course. The Three despise outsiders."
p729BH Run'Thurvian says the same. "Three sorcerer kings rule Shal-Morzinn. They will contest our passage."
"Why?"

HoC p328
Liosan "There is but one necessity in dealing with a creature such as you and that is annihilation." Similar language and identical sentiment. They said nothing, just attacked. I also notice that Onrack cut one up but he didn't seem disturbed by it. "Oh, I need healing" was his only remark.

They also refer to the Andii as "most sordid creations" and claim "death by our hands is the only mercy they deserve." And they only tolerate the Edur because they "contain something of the Father within them."

Maybe the three kings turned their back on Father Light and left the Liosan warren. Wouldn't that put a dent in their superiority myth? Too bad Udinaas didn't have anything to say about Liosan history.

So, the Morzinn and Liosan seem to possess both arrogance and insular tendencies.

Well I like theories...

The other conclusions We can draw from this is that the Kings are long lived (over 1000). That would suggest that they are not human.

That is a trait of pretty much anything not human- so as far as we know a Liaosan could fit there. then again so could any other number of species.

It could also still be a human-- human mages are long lived or if they have ascended they are ageless.

contradicting evidence: Liaosan from what we have seen are reclusive and racist, not ones to just take up residents on a misc spot of burn. But just because thats all we have seen doesnt mean its true for the whole race.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

I think this is the thread you're talking about:

http://malazanworld....read.php?t=8858

#13 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

Ammanas;290660 said:

"The Three?"

"Why?"

HoC p328

That's not a bad theory.

Remember the Shake? They have some Liosan blood in them.

#14 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

Andii blood
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#15 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

Aptorian;290784 said:

I think this is the thread you're talking about:

http://malazanworld....read.php?t=8858

I feel like a parrot. This is the kind of thing that spurs me to spend 150 on RoTCG instead of waiting till August or whenever.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

Hey dude, it was you that started the thread :D

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Ammanas;291026 said:

I feel like a parrot. This is the kind of thing that spurs me to spend 150 on RoTCG instead of waiting till August or whenever.

Welcome to the Forum. Check your other obsessions and interests at the door. :D

Anyrate, it's not a rediculous theory. The Liosan are isolationist and so are the Shal-Moriziin.

Hey, take it one step further... we haven't seen/heards anything of Osserc having a Mortal Sword, Destriant and Sheild Anvil. Three roles, three Witch-Kings. It's not unthinkable.

- Abyss, does however suspect this is one of those things we never find out much about.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Aptorian;291031 said:

Hey dude, it was you that started the thread :D

And it's a fine thread. I will endeavour to be less redundant in the future or use the search feature.

#19 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

Abyss;291048 said:

Hey, take it one step further... we haven't seen/heards anything of Osserc having a Mortal Sword, Destriant and Sheild Anvil. Three roles, three Witch-Kings. It's not unthinkable.

Oh, gods no! Not more of them!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#20 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

Wow I like the new sig Abyss! Impressive :(
Shal-morzin certainly doesnt sound like a human name, nor do they sound human, seeming to be immortal and ridiculously powerful. SO its not unfeasible.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users