• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thalanti Monks GOTMism?

#1 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

There's a passage from GOTM that mentions the Thalanti monks:

To his right and beyond the resident houses lining that side of the street, the pale domes of the High Thalanti on the hill glistened against the deep grey sky.

The temple was among the oldest structures in the city, its founding blocks over two thousand years old. The Thalanti monks had come, like so many others, carried on the wings of the rumour.

Are these guys mentioned anywhere else in the series - a google search yields only 6 results? Is Thalanti another god / ascendant? Is this something that Erikson promptly forgot about?
Speculation? Credible backstory?

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'm afraid it's impossible to say, because this is the GotM forum and so any talk of future mentions would be inappropriate.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

View Postworry, on 19 April 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

I'm afraid it's impossible to say, because this is the GotM forum and so any talk of future mentions would be inappropriate.

Oops, wasn't thinking; this should be in general book topics, if you could move it you'd be my hero.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 19 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

If I could I would, pal. Like most things though it's in the hands of powers whose whims flit from indifferent to cruel.

#5 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

View Postworry, on 19 April 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

If I could I would, pal. Like most things though it's in the hands of powers whose whims flit from indifferent to cruel.

My bad, I thought you to be part of their ranks, you give off the big scary modgod vibe Posted Image

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:25 PM

Just an ant.

#7 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:41 AM

View PostDadding, on 19 April 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 19 April 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

My bad, I thought you to be part of their ranks, you give off the big scary modgod vibe Posted Image

You are right about this.
Worry is like Shadowthrone, pulling the strings behind the scenes, and influencing the direction of the forum very subtly but surely.

#8 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostDadding, on 19 April 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

To his right and beyond the resident houses lining that side of the street, the pale domes of the High Thalanti on the hill glistened against the deep grey sky.

The temple was among the oldest structures in the city, its founding blocks over two thousand years old. The Thalanti monks had come, like so many others, carried on the wings of the rumour.

Are these guys mentioned anywhere else in the series - a google search yields only 6 results? Is Thalanti another god / ascendant? Is this something that Erikson promptly forgot about?
No mention I can find except in GotM based on a cursory internet search of relevant terms. We can assume they have some interest in either the purported of Darujhistan or the Tyrant. Maybe a GotMism, maybe just one of the many many religious groupings found on Wu.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#9 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostDadding, on 19 April 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

Well, until a mod moves it we can only discuss GotM references.

I will not that the "wings of a rumour" line seems to correspond to several other references to Darujhistan being founded by people chasing a legend of a Jaghut's barrow in the neighbouring hills. He never really explains what people would hope to find from such a rumour, but that does mean that he is saying the Thalanti monks came to the city seeking out such a barrow/grave any more than he explains anyone else. Being that you never meet such a monk in GotM nor get any reference to concern about them politically, religiously, or militarily, it certainly seems at this point that the references is just a little bit of background colour to the story as the author describes the setting.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users