Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kilava-Trake Relationship spoilers TCG

#1 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

If Trake is Kilava's son, as Gruntle states in TCG, then why is there not even a hint of this in MoI (US mmpb, p. 233-234) when Kilava meets a wounded Trake on the Plain of Lamatath?

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

That's retold through Trake's recall, as he's dying, as viewed by... I think it was Toc... And I don't think Trake's even knows that she's his Mom, which means she's chosen not to tell him for whatever reason.
Plus up until he's dying, his personality had apparently been mostly submerged in the tiger.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:37 AM

I was just surprised that, as Kilava would, assuredly, have known, that she didn't display any motherly compassion (which is the theme of this book, after all).

But, maybe she thought that she was doing so. She is a cold old Imass, and the Imass don't seem to be too sentimental (and are even less so as T'lan).

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 September 2014 - 01:40 AM

#4 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 18 September 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

I was just surprised that, as Kilava would, assuredly, have known, that she didn't display any motherly compassion (which is the theme of this book, after all).

But, maybe she thought that she was doing so. She is a cold old Imass, and the Imass don't seem to be too sentimental (and are even less so as T'lan).

wrong! Imass feel everything deeply - can't be bothered to hunt down the quotes at the moment but surely somebody can back me up...

Kilava is a special case, having shunned the Ritual and become immortal anyhow, she's unlike any other Imass out there that we know of - she's had a lot of time to think about shit and hasn't undergone any significant transformation in terms of perspective except that through hundreds of millenia of thought and consideration, with a partially beast-like outlook the whole time. She is a special snowflake :)

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Malaclypse, on 18 September 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 18 September 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

wrong! Imass feel everything deeply - can't be bothered to hunt down the quotes at the moment but surely somebody can back me up...

Kilava is a special case, having shunned the Ritual and become immortal anyhow, she's unlike any other Imass out there that we know of - she's had a lot of time to think about shit and hasn't undergone any significant transformation in terms of perspective except that through hundreds of millenia of thought and consideration, with a partially beast-like outlook the whole time. She is a special snowflake :)

Refer Itkovian death scene in MoI

He would embrace them. He would take their pain. In this world, where all had been taken from him, where he walked without purpose, burdened with the lives and deaths of tens of thousands of mortal souls – unable to grant them peace, unable – unwilling – to simply cast them off, he was not yet done.
He would embrace them. These T’lan Imass, who had twisted all the powers of the Warren of Tellann into a ritual that devoured their souls. A ritual that had left them – in the eyes of all others – as little more than husks, animated by a purpose they had set outside themselves, yet were chained to – for eternity.
Husks, yet... anything but.
And that was a truth Itkovian had not expected, had no way to prepare for.
Insharak Ulan, who was born third to Inal Thoom and Sultha A’rad of the Nashar Clan that would come to be Kron’s own, in the spring of the Year of Blighted Moss, below the Land of Raw Copper, and I remember—
I remember—
A snow hare, trembling, no more than a dusk-shadow’s length from my reach, my child’s arm and hand stretching. Streaks in the white, the promise of summer. Trembling hand, trembling hare, born together in the snows just past. Reaching out. Lives touching – small-heart-patter, slow-drum-hunger my chest’s answer to the world’s hidden music – I remember—
Kalas Agkor – my arms wrapped about little Jala, little sister, hot with fever but the fire grew too hot, and so, in my arms, her flesh cooled to dawn-stone, mother keening – Jala was the ember now lifeless, and from that day, in mother’s eyes, I became naught but its bed of ash—
Ulthan Arlad herd-tracks in the snow, tufts of moult, ay on the flanks, we were hungry in that year yet held to the trail, old as it was—
Karas Av riding Bonecaster Thai’s son in the Valley of Deep Moss, beneath the sun we were breaking the ancient law – I was breaking the ancient law, I, mate to Ibinahl Chode, made the boy a man before his circle was knotted—
—in the Year of the Broken Antler, we found wolf cubs—
—I dreamed I said no to the Ritual, I dreamed I strode to Onos T’oolan’s side—
—a face streaming tears – my tears—
—Chode, who watched my mate lead the boy into the valley, and knew the child would be remade into a man – knew that he was in the gentlest of hands—
—the grasslands were burning—
—ranag in the Homed Circle—
—I loved her so—
Voices, a flood, memories – these warriors had not lost them. They had known them as living things – within their own dead bodies.
Known them.
For almost three hundred thousand years.
—friend to Onrack of the Logros, I last saw him kneeling amidst the corpses of his clan. All slain in the street, yet the Soletaken were finally broken. Ah, at such a cost—
—oh, heart laid at his feet, dear Legana Breed. So clever, sharpest of wit, oh how he made me laugh—
—our eyes met, Maenas Lot and I, even as the Ritual began its demand, and we saw the fear in each other’s eyes – our love, our dreams of more children, to fill the spaces of those we had lost out on the ice, our lives of mingled shadows – our love, that must now be surrendered—
—I, Cannig Tol, watched as my hunters hurled their spears. She fell without making a sound, the last of her kind on this continent, and had I a heart, it would have burst, then. There was no justice in this war. We’d left our gods behind, and knelt only before an altar of brutality. Truth. And I, Cannig Tol, shall not turn away from truth—
Itkovian’s mind reeled back, sought to fend off the diluvial tide, to fight himself clear of his own soul’s answering cry of sorrow, the torrent of truths shattering his heart, the secrets of the T’lan Imass – no, the Ritual – how – Fener’s Tusks, how could you have done that to yourselves?
And she has denied you. She has denied you all—
He could not escape – he had embraced their pain, and the flood of memories was destroying him. Too many, too fiercely felt – relived, every moment relived by these lost creatures – he was drowning.
He had promised them release, yet he knew now he would fail. There was no end, no way he could encompass this yearning gift, this desperate, begging desire.
He was alone—
— am Pran Chole, you must hear me, mortal!
Alone. Fading ...
Hear me, mortal! There is a place – I can lead you! You must carry all we give you – not far, not long – carry us, mortal! There is a place!
Fading...
Mortal! For the Grey Swords – you must do this! Hold on – succeed – and you will gift them. I can lead you!
For the Grey Swords . . .
Itkovian reached out—
—and a hand, solid, warm, clasped his forearm—

T'lan Imass have feelings. Their memories, memories of millenia, hold practically infinite amount of feelings.

#6 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

Witness! I stand corrected.

#7 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

Another thread killed.

*Blows smoke off pistol of truth and justice*