Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

reading order after Reaper's Gale

#1 User is offline   justsomefarmer 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Sorry to be that newbie dude, as I'm sure a thread like this already exists somewhere. But pretty much I'm looking for a definitive answer on this, seeing as my searching hasn't found me one yet. I want to save DoD and tCG for as long as possible, so after I've finished TtH (when I get to it), would it be all right to read Stonewielder and Orb Sceptre Throne immediately thereafter and before DoD? I only want to do this if this will be completely spoiler-free to the main series.

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

I can't recall if Stonewielder has any DoD spoilers. If you're fine with splitting up the finale, you could stick it between DoD and TCG. OST, on the other hand, has at least one DoD spoiler. Personally, I would read it like this:

Dust of Dreams
Stonewielder (or after TCG)
The Crippled God
Orb, Sceptre, Throne
Forge of Darkness
Blood and Bone
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Obviously I benefited from TCG being out by the time I got to it, so lucky me (and lucky you, too!), but it was too hard to not dig into it the second I was finished DoD. I think SE is also on record saying that they are supposed to be one giant book and should be read as much. If you must, I would read SW before the final two MBotFs. Or read it after. But only because I think splitting them up is tough thing to do. AFAICR, nothing is spoiled much either way. And hell, most of this shit doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense until you re-read everything anyway.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

justsomefarmer, on 01 August 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Sorry to be that newbie dude, as I'm sure a thread like this already exists somewhere. But pretty much I'm looking for a definitive answer on this, seeing as my searching hasn't found me one yet. I want to save DoD and tCG for as long as possible, so after I've finished TtH (when I get to it), would it be all right to read Stonewielder and Orb Sceptre Throne immediately thereafter and before DoD? I only want to do this if this will be completely spoiler-free to the main series.

RotCG spoils RG. TtH follows from RotCG, and OST follows from TtH, so you'll want to keep all those in order.

None of the ICE books after RotCG spoil anything for DoD and TCG (not including Assail, which is not out yet). I actually think reading SW, OST and B&B before TCG will work very well as some characters in OST and TCG are very much aware that there are dramatic events going on elsewhere in the world, which will hype up TCG quite nicely, but without spoiling anything.

The only conceivable spoiler here would be that if a character appears in, say, B&B, you know they won't be in TCG, but that same thing goes both ways. (OST, B&B and TCG all basically happen at the same time)

So if you want to keep DoD-TCG for last I recommend:

RG > RotCG > TtH > SW > OST > B&B > DoD > TCG

(you can flip SW and TtH here, the flow from RotCG to TtH is good for certain plotlines, it's good to have a bit of a gap from TtH to OST, and you don't want too much of a gap from RG to TtH)

This post has been edited by D'rek: 01 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

The end of B&B spoils TCG, OST spoils the very start of DoD (but its only a page of the prologue of DoD really).

This is best

RG
RoTCG
TTH
SW
OST
DoD
TCG
B&B

Seriously, the ending of B&B really does give away strong indications of the ending of TCG. But the reverse is not true.

#6 User is offline   justsomefarmer 

• Recruit

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

All righty then. Looks like after I've finished RG I'll do the order as suggested by blackzoid, which is exactly what I was hoping I'd be able to do. Thanks a lot everyone.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users