Malazan Empire: (Gothos -- Hood) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(Gothos -- Hood) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods Pairing Number 3 - Choose the Winner.

Poll: (Gothos -- Hood) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Who ranks higher in relative 'power' in the Malazan World?

1. Gothos (29 votes [42.03%])

Percentage of vote: 42.03%

2. Hood (27 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

3. Rank them Equal - Too close to call (13 votes [18.84%])

Percentage of vote: 18.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

3rd pairing of this project, please refer to pairings 1 and 2 for more details.

Choose who you think is more powerful for whatever reasons.

This is a fairly obscure pairing, as we have less information on these two than our previous pairings.

Discuss, tell us why, here.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 25 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#2 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Is it when Hood was still god of death or after that? I mean god of death beats that scrawny weakling Gothos for sure . but by himself, I'm not so sure of Hood.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#3 User is offline   Azathmaster 

• Rewinder of High House Mafia
  • First Survivor in the Survivors' Guild

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hood all the way. Gothos is strong, sure, but Hood was god of Death, and is now still master of Omtose Phellack (iirc) which is gaining power. He trumps Gothos completely imo.
"To victory! It feels unfamiliar, but it tastes like chicken"

#4 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Without doubt Hood, was the god of dead, check, king of Omtose Phellack, check.

#5 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Looks like we may have Hood in a landslide, so maybe someone could post some history or stats on Gothos.

I am inclined to go with Hood as well, but I think it may be closer than that. Gothos wasn't too shabby in terms of 'power.'
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#6 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Brujah, on 24 August 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Looks like we may have Hood in a landslide, so maybe someone could post some history or stats on Gothos.

I am inclined to go with Hood as well, but I think it may be closer than that. Gothos wasn't too shabby in terms of 'power.'

Impossible to judge. Gothos killed 43 T'lan Imass and a Bonecaster and seemed to think nothing of it. He also froze a continent just because somebody (Mael?) asked him to. His kids include Raest and Icarium.

Hood: Had little trouble with Forkrul Assail, but Olar Ethil pushed him. We don' t really see either of them cut loose.

#7 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

the broken, on 24 August 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

Impossible to judge. Gothos killed 43 T'lan Imass and a Bonecaster and seemed to think nothing of it. He also froze a continent just because somebody (Mael?) asked him to. His kids include Raest and Icarium.

Hood: Had little trouble with Forkrul Assail, but Olar Ethil pushed him. We don' t really see either of them cut loose.

Yeah, this is def true. I figured we would have hard time getting enough info for this one.

- Maynard James Keenan

#8 User is offline   BloodIron 

• Recruit
  • Interests:books. fighting. chess. my kids. making/listening to tunes. kettlebells. writing.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hood. He bit the face off a pure FA just cuz he gets down like that.
We've come to shore with the blood of the sun. Carving our way back home. There's no losing when you're on borrowed time

#9 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

Don't forget that in his ritual, Gothos also blocked off that continent to Hood.

Why is there no "evenly matched" option on this one?

Also, I would agree with those who say that it might be important when exactly a theoretical confrontation would occur. When Hood was the god of death? Before that? After?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#10 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Good catch, Kan. I forgot to add the evenly matched option.

Edit - fixed.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 25 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

- Maynard James Keenan

#11 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Kanese S, on 25 August 2012 - 05:55 AM, said:

Don't forget that in his ritual, Gothos also blocked off that continent to Hood.

Why is there no "evenly matched" option on this one?

Also, I would agree with those who say that it might be important when exactly a theoretical confrontation would occur. When Hood was the god of death? Before that? After?

Well, in a previous pairing, the issue of at which point in their timeline are we going with, I believe I responded with going with their last known 'status', but in that case, it was the fact that both characters were growing, and getting more powerful. In this case, with such a drastic change as Hood goes through, me CAN choose to go with a character, as of this last known series update, OR, at their peak.

Hood is one of my favorite characters in the series, having moved into my top 5 list after I finally finished the series, which was only in the last 4 or 5 months or so.

Some of these ideas, you've guys have pondered over for far longer than I've even known these characters existed, so please continue to share your thoughts.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 25 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

- Maynard James Keenan

#12 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Personally, I would rank them as evenly matched.

While Hood has been a god, I think the fact that Gothos was able to block off an entire continent to everyone, even Hood, is worth noting. Gothos can apparently create sorcery so strong that even the lord of death cannot access what's behind it.

Yet Hood also, if it came down to a fight, would have the advantage of having an additional warren over Gothos. However, due to what I already mentioned, I would guess that Gothos is the more powerful wielder of Omtose Phellack.

Too close to call, in my opinion.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#13 User is offline   Seatiger 

• Soletaken

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

Gothos > Hood
Take me as a knife and I will turn in your hand. I swear it.

#14 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Remember Erikson did say that he would choose Gothos as his shaved knuckle.

Still, I voted too close to call.

#15 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

End of Disc One, on 27 August 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

Remember Erikson did say that he would choose Gothos as his shaved knuckle.

Still, I voted too close to call.

Really? That's pretty awesome info.

- Maynard James Keenan

#16 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hmmm

Gothos was old, powerful and disillusioned when Hood was an itch in his daddy's trousers. Even avoiding spoilers this is clearly true. Hood still gets confused, even as the God of Death. Gothos has seen it all and pissed on it, thought out every combination and every permutation in the uncountable millennia of his life - Icarium and Raest are both his sons, ffs - and he's not that bothered at the end of it all. This is one hardcore bastard. Also, when SE was asked who he would want for his 'shaved knuckle in the hole' he said Gothos. No contest. Hood would chill the fuck out were he to encounter Gothos or he would get sonned ;p

#17 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

I might have to agree with that. So what's Gethol's excuse?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Malaclypse, on 30 August 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Hmmm

Gothos was old, powerful and disillusioned when Hood was an itch in his daddy's trousers. Even avoiding spoilers this is clearly true. Hood still gets confused, even as the God of Death. Gothos has seen it all and pissed on it, thought out every combination and every permutation in the uncountable millennia of his life - Icarium and Raest are both his sons, ffs - and he's not that bothered at the end of it all. This is one hardcore bastard. Also, when SE was asked who he would want for his 'shaved knuckle in the hole' he said Gothos. No contest. Hood would chill the fuck out were he to encounter Gothos or he would get sonned ;p

Hood took on Death as a metaphysical idea and had the balls to willingly enter Dragnipur.
Hood may like playing sexy chain-up games with Gothos but he ain't scared of Gothos.

And even avoiding spoilers, when did we learn who was older than who? FoD?

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 30 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

#19 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

blackzoid, on 30 August 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Malaclypse, on 30 August 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Hmmm

Hood took on Death and had the balls to willingly enter Dragnipur.
Hood may like playing sexy chain-up games with Gothos but he ain't scared of Gothos.

LOL, and? is this an argument?

Alright, let's pretend that it is...your only potentially salient point is that 'he ain't scared of Gothos'.

I think that he is, because Hood is sensible, for the most part. Gothos outclasses Hood in every category - he's more experienced, smarter, craftier and utterly ruthless. Even if their relative mastery of Omtose Phellack (and whatever other warrens they may have access to) is equal (which I highly doubt), Gothos is far more cold-blooded than Hood, which is especially funny cuz Hood is the God of Death, but he kinda just fell into it and never really knew what to do with it - Gothos is not so foolish.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hood fell into the Death role precisely because he was such a softy.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users