• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7701 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 08 November 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

I'm starting to boycott reboots at the cinema. I had decided not to see the latest Terminator even before I'd heard it wasn't much good. It's getting so lazy now, the endless sequels and prequels are bad enough but rebooting stuff that doesn't need it. Why? Just watch the original Indy movies instead. I can barely remember the days of going to see original ideas when you didn't really know what a film was going to be about before you went.

Actually, the latest Terminator is rather good I thought. Surprisingly so even. I certainly didn't see it in the cinema, but that was more because of a near catastrophic lack of funds. But I thought it was pretty damn good with great references to the first Terminator.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7702 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

Saw SPECTRE last night, and I really liked it. I had a few minor compaints: Too long (Just like SKYFALL, I blame Sam Mendes who doens't know what a normal lengthed film is), buried somehwere in there is a 1 1/2hr movie that is pretty perfect. The song is utter trash...worst Bond song ever? Very possibly. The opening sequence itself was really quite flat. And Waltz needed more screentime, cause he was utterly great and I wanted more.

Otherwise we loved it. I MAY even like it better than SKYFALL (not sure)...but I loved the homage to more classic Bond tropes, some fo the cheesy Roger Moore-ish one-liners, the new car, the watch ect.

Spoiler

I did have one weird filmic moment...why we opened with a REALLY long POV follow shot. A few edits and that whole sequence jumps from 20 minutes down to 10...no need for the strange POV follow shot of James and hot girl, you know?

Anyways, great Bond film...modern with classic tropes.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7703 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:25 AM

I think it looks fun. But a lot of these kinds of movies start out fun and then lose it along the way, if they betray their internal logic or get really lazy about the jump scares and cliches.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7704 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

This though looks kinda amazing:

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7705 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:13 AM

That....looks genuinely creepy. I'll be on the lookout for that one, thanks Worry.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7706 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

View Postworry, on 12 November 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

This though looks kinda amazing:

This looks like something Lars von Trier would make but there's not enough awkward fucking in the trailer.

#7707 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

Apt, that just reminds me that I LOATHE the films of Lars Von Trier. The man is quite insane.

And I'm glad that Bjork got pissed at him and cut up and ATE the blouse he made her wear for most of the shoot in DANCER IN THE DARK.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7708 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 November 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

Apt, that just reminds me that I LOATHE the films of Lars Von Trier. The man is quite insane.

And I'm glad that Bjork got pissed at him and cut up and ATE the blouse he made her wear for most of the shoot in DANCER IN THE DARK.

Didn't he come up with some rather Nazi-like comments a few years ago?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7709 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

I haven't watched an actual Lars von Trier film since... I actually can't recall but I love reading about him and watching him on TV. He's such a controversial person but always interesting and entertaining.

I will always have a fondness for him because of the "Riget" horror mini-series he made here in Denmark (Adapted in America by Stephen King as "The Kingdom"). He was a part of a wave of film and TV-makers that modernized Danish television.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 November 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

Didn't he come up with some rather Nazi-like comments a few years ago?

No they were very Nazi-like, just taken completely out of context. He said crazy things like "I am a Nazi" and "I understand Hitler", etc. but seriously, the man is notoriously aloof and also intentionally provocative. The fact the press actually ran with it isn't surprising but that people so willingly demonized the guy afterwards felt pretty stupid.

He was of course talking about the way he approaches life and how he works as a film director. It's no secret that the guy runs his films like a bipolar tyrant. Hell, you should hear some of the stuff that comes out about their (State-funded) film studio Zentropa. That place is run like a Cult.

This post has been edited by Apt: 12 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

#7710 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

I'm pretty sure, listening to him in interviews, that he suffers from some sort of mental break with reality.

#7711 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

Oh he has plenty of issues. He's had mental break downs, he has various phobias, he's an on again off again drug and alcohol addict, neurosis, etc. He's pretty much the stereotypical tortured artist who puts his life into his art. Or something like that. It's pretty clear that even when he is pouring his heart out in an interview after the Cannes fiasco, that is creating his own image of himself to go into his epitaph.

#7712 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

I thought that was a hoax?

#7713 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

Must have been one of those Tiger blood transfusions.

The man is incredibly wealthy so at least he will have access to the best treatment possible. If he can stay off the other drugs, he's more likely to die of old age than HIV now a days.

#7714 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

I wonder how many women had sex with him without being informed that he had HIV.

#7715 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

4 year apparently.

not a doctor but relatively sure kissing someone isn't going to give you HIV.

I'd go get tested for sure, and make him foot the bill (not sure what way the health care is in America now, would that be a private bill?)

#7716 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

It is very important when talking about current affairs and HIV to understand the fact that the single biggest reason why we can't virtually eradicate it in the developed world is due to the 25% of infected people who don't know they have it. How to solve that? Encourage people to get tested. Biggest barrier to testing? Stigma due to people making out that carriers are dirty or somehow deserve it. Educate yourself before passing judgement.

Edited to add on topic - who the fuck greenlit a remake of Memento? Boycott boycott boycott. Don't encourage them!

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 17 November 2015 - 09:14 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7717 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

I know I'm one of the only people who liked SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN (Hell, I own it on BluRay)....but seeing as one of the things people didn't like about that film (Namely Kristen Stewart) is not in this prequel...and the good things about the first one (Hemsworth and Theron) are in this one, along with Emily Blunt AND Jessica Chastain...this looks damned good. I really liked the world on display in the first film, so this looks like it will blow that open.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

#7718 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

It's a hell of a cast. And I like Evil Elsa.

I hope it's not fully a prequel. At least some of it must be, but the blurb wikipedia has of it suggests at least some of it might not be (but don't read it if you want to go in fresh).
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7719 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 18 November 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

It's a hell of a cast. And I like Evil Elsa.

I hope it's not fully a prequel. At least some of it must be, but the blurb wikipedia has of it suggests at least some of it might not be (but don't read it if you want to go in fresh).

The current word on it is that it's both a prequel AND sequel somehow....Theron's comment in the trailer to the Huntsman about seeing him again eludes to that...but since Queen Ravenna ostensibly died in the first and Snow White was set on her throne...it seems really odd...combined with the synopsis of the Ice sister reviving her sister from death and attempting to get the mirror off Ravenna...I'm ALL confused.

So either this DOES take place before the first film events, and they'll just retcon the fact that Ravenna only met Eric at the start of the events of the first film...or it really is a sequel where the Ice Sister revives her dead kin and they go to war...and somehow Snow White will be sidestepped? Perhaps it's a whole other portion of the kingdom?

I'm excited to see what this is....but I'm really confused as to when it takes place and how.

EDIT...ah it's a part prequel part sequel...So then I wonder how they'll handle Snow White not being in it as Queen? Is it possible that Frey doesn't resurrect Ravenna until years later, and the Eric and Sara were frozen with her? And Snow is just long dead?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

#7720 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 November 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

I liked Stewart in it. I've read that she was excited and working on Snow 2 like 2 yrs ago so wtf?

The movie made like 400 million and Universal was fastracking a sequel with the same cast and director...but then the news broke that Stewart had been having an affair with the director (Rupert Sanders) who was married (he is no longer, his wife left him after she found out) at the time. Universal was pissed off at this, largely because this was their first (successful) foray into a new serialized movie franchise other than their breadwinner THE FAST & FURIOUS films...so they got rid of her AND the director....and instead of recasting her for a conventional sequel, looks like they've come up with a possibly clever was to do a prequel sequel and keep the franchise alive without Snow White.

Sidebar: The director who has taken over the role, Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, was a second Unit director on the first film and its visual effects supervisor (for which he won an Oscar), so he's got the look and vibe down.

EDIT: For anyone wondering...the track that plays over the last portion of the trailer is "Castle" by Halsey...and she's amazeballs.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 644 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users