• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7301 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

Watched a while ago and double-checked to see if others here had seen it (which the usual suspects have):

Snowpiercer: FUCK YES. Amph, I don't know what you didn't like about this (I know you gave it 6/10 and that's it). It's visceral, compelling, and has a unique background. The only complaint I can see is that it's TOO violent in the middle section. But, I loved it.

Spoiler

8/10 for me.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7302 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

I think it was someone else who didn't like Snowpiercer.

I rather like it, despite the many nonsensical portions relating to life on the train itself. I gave it 6 out of 10 snowdrifts bc the cast forced that movie to be better than it is - particularly Evans and Swinton.

It's enjoyable, but it's not a Fifth Element or Starship Troopers style all time classic.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7303 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

Snowpiercer's fucking wicked. Even and perhaps especially the things that are silly.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7304 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:13 AM

Well I'm sure this is waaaaaaay out of left field but my wife and I just finished watching Dr. Strangelove for the first time. I had heard of it before but didn't even know what it was about. OMFG!! We laughed our asses off! I know Peter Sellers was nominated for best actor, playing 3 characters and all, but we thought George C. Scott was f-ing hilarious!! I could not stop laughing at his facial expressions and just-over-the-top military schtick! The plot of the movie seemed strangely relevant considering it's 50 years old.

#7305 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:22 AM

paran falcon said:

1425780801[/url]' post='1176410']
Well I'm sure this is waaaaaaay out of left field but my wife and I just finished watching Dr. Strangelove for the first time. I had heard of it before but didn't even know what it was about. OMFG!! We laughed our asses off! I know Peter Sellers was nominated for best actor, playing 3 characters and all, but we thought George C. Scott was f-ing hilarious!! I could not stop laughing at his facial expressions and just-over-the-top military schtick! The plot of the movie seemed strangely relevant considering it's 50 years old.

One of my favorites. I never get tired of that movie.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7306 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:59 AM

View Postamphibian, on 07 March 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

bc the cast forced that movie to be better than it is - particularly Evans and Swinton.

Just finished watching this. Strangely intriguing. And I agree with Amph - the cast saved it from going off the rails disastrously.

:D
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#7307 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:37 AM

View PostGnaw, on 09 March 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 07 March 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

bc the cast forced that movie to be better than it is - particularly Evans and Swinton.

Just finished watching this. Strangely intriguing. And I agree with Amph - the cast saved it from going off the rails disastrously.

:D

ಠ_ಠ
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7308 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:05 AM

Everyone who hasn't seen chappie needs to answer for why they hate scifi and movies in general.
Error: Signature not valid

#7309 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 13 March 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

Everyone who hasn't seen chappie needs to answer for why they hate scifi and movies in general.

I love scifi. I hate movie tickets in general.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#7310 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

Seeing it on Sunday!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7311 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

The reviewer (Meredeith) at io9 didn't like it and found it stupid...and that usually means I'm going to love it.

No honestly, if any of the four people who review TV and movies at io9 hate something...it's a guarantee that I will love it. It's kind of a weird barometer, but it works. So I hope to see CHAPPIe soon! :sofa:
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7312 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

I'll probably see Chappie eventually, but not rushing to see it at the cinema because Elysium was so meh and lots of people whose movie taste I tend to respect, both reviewers (and not including the ones at iO9) and real folk, have said Chappie is pretty humdrum too. Though some did like it.

I did see Kingsman: The Secret Service today. I do so love Matthew Vaughn as a director. It'll be a darn shame if he never gets to direct a Bond or Star Wars movie.

#7313 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 13 March 2015 - 07:05 PM, said:

I did see Kingsman: The Secret Service today. I do so love Matthew Vaughn as a director. It'll be a darn shame if he never gets to direct a Bond or Star Wars movie.

That was a great flick. A throwback/sendup/homage to to Roger Moore Era Bond. Yeah. Matthew Vaughn is pretty amazing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7314 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:42 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 March 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 13 March 2015 - 07:05 PM, said:

That was a great flick. A throwback/sendup/homage to to Roger Moore Era Bond. Yeah. Matthew Vaughn is pretty amazing.

He even directed the best comic-book movie, Kick-Ass. :sofa:

#7315 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

You could of easily guessed that Pompeii was gonna be shite. It's just the type of movie you watch knowing it will suck, but you hope for at least a few great fight scenes.

As for me, I watched it because I felt like supporting Jon Snow.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#7316 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

The wife and I enjoyed some of POMPEII but we are both convinced it's because we had just actually visited Pompeii a few weeks earlier, and noted that whomever did production design had done their job as most of the major features of the city are spot on for how they look in real life...and that was impressive. As a movie though, it's just action-meh.

#7317 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:43 PM

I liked chappie better than Elysium. You just can't go into it expecting a high paced action movie, which unfortunately is how it has been marketed. It is part that, but not entirely.

I also saw kingsman. Very good stuff, it was exactly what I had hoped for.
Error: Signature not valid

#7318 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM

A rumor originally spreading from UK Tabloid The Sun (so, be wary and all that) claims that Matt Smith is interested in playing the lead role of Newt Scamander, and is in talks to take on the role ahead of filming beginning in Summer.

I have always maintained that if this casting happens, it will be amazing!

#7319 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

I saw Kingsman yesterday. Lots of fun.

One thing was stupid though:
Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7320 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

Housebound -- New Zealand horror comedy that really works on both levels. Some clear influence from Sam Raimi/Peter Jackson horror slapstick, as well as Edgar Wright/SotD-style visual comedy. Really enjoyed it start to finish.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users